paint chips & touchup paint (brush on vs. aerosol)

Old September 14th 04, 03:35 AM
Joe Blo

Default paint chips & touchup paint (brush on vs. aerosol)

I have used the brush-on type touchup paint to repair paint chips on
my white Honda accord. I have always found it difficult to get a
uniform amount of paint in the chip using the brush. Recently, I have
seen companies that offer touchup paint in aeorosol cans. They even
match the color to the model of your car. Has anyone tried aerosol
touch-up paint to repair paint chips with better results? I know some
offer paints in basecoat and clearcoat. Are there some good
instructions on how to repair a paint chip with aerosol touch up
paint? Thanks
Old September 14th 04, 04:57 PM
motsco_ _

Joe Blo wrote:
> I have used the brush-on type touchup paint to repair paint chips on
> my white Honda accord. I have always found it difficult to get a
> uniform amount of paint in the chip using the brush. Recently, I have
> seen companies that offer touchup paint in aeorosol cans. They even
> match the color to the model of your car. Has anyone tried aerosol
> touch-up paint to repair paint chips with better results? I know some
> offer paints in basecoat and clearcoat. Are there some good
> instructions on how to repair a paint chip with aerosol touch up
> paint? Thanks

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As revelation stated, the 'Sharpie' pen type is much better for small
chips. Honda has them, but they are available elsewhere. Store upright
in a cool place (not glove box), and the instructions are interesting
(like you'd need to follow instructions to use a paint marker pen??)

'Curly'

Old September 14th 04, 04:57 PM
Steve W.

First off DON'T USE THE BRUSH. If you have found a color that actually
matches your paint there are some easy steps to use to fill a chip.
1. Clean the area thoroughly with a wax/grease remover.
2. Use a pencil type sander (glass fiber made by 3M)
3. Clean the area again.
4. Spot in primer (if needed) Use a round toothpick to transfer the
primer/paint.
5. Once dried lightly scuff the primer. Wipe area again.
6. Spot in paint as you did the primer. Make it SLIGHTLY higher than the
surrounding paint.
7. Use 1000 grit paper on a small block to sand paint level with
surrounding area.
8. Buff out area with a good polishing compound.
9. Wash the entire car and wax it.
10. Watch for more chips........

For even more in depth steps.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/gorf/bmwt...paintchip.html

Steve Williams

om...

Old September 15th 04, 01:41 AM
Mike S.

In article >, Steve W. > wrote:
>First off DON'T USE THE BRUSH. If you have found a color that actually
>matches your paint there are some easy steps to use to fill a chip.
>1. Clean the area thoroughly with a wax/grease remover.
>2. Use a pencil type sander (glass fiber made by 3M)
>3. Clean the area again.
>4. Spot in primer (if needed) Use a round toothpick to transfer the
>primer/paint.
>5. Once dried lightly scuff the primer. Wipe area again.
>6. Spot in paint as you did the primer. Make it SLIGHTLY higher than the
>surrounding paint.
>7. Use 1000 grit paper on a small block to sand paint level with
>surrounding area.
>8. Buff out area with a good polishing compound.
>9. Wash the entire car and wax it.
>10. Watch for more chips........

The problem with this approach is that most metallic touch-up paints seem
to achieve a color match only when they are "blobbed" on. It seems like
the metal chips stay on top and the pigment settles to the bottom. Once
you sand down the blob, the color changes (usually darker) and the repair
looks worse than if you hadn't levelled the repair in the first place.

Old September 15th 04, 04:32 AM
JM

"Steve W." > wrote in message >...
> First off DON'T USE THE BRUSH. If you have found a color that actually
> matches your paint there are some easy steps to use to fill a chip.
> 1. Clean the area thoroughly with a wax/grease remover.
> 2. Use a pencil type sander (glass fiber made by 3M)
> 3. Clean the area again.
> 4. Spot in primer (if needed) Use a round toothpick to transfer the
> primer/paint.
> 5. Once dried lightly scuff the primer. Wipe area again.
> 6. Spot in paint as you did the primer. Make it SLIGHTLY higher than the
> surrounding paint.
> 7. Use 1000 grit paper on a small block to sand paint level with
> surrounding area.
> 8. Buff out area with a good polishing compound.
> 9. Wash the entire car and wax it.
> 10. Watch for more chips........

This is my idea of Hell Lite.

> For even more in depth steps.
>
> http://pages.sbcglobal.net/gorf/bmwt...paintchip.html

And this is Hell.

Get the sharpie touch up, or use a toothpick with the brush on kind
and ignore the brush. Make it quick, make it passable. Wait a couple
of years for someone to hit you and then replace the hood, etc. Works
for me everytime.

JM
Old September 22nd 04, 04:44 AM
Steve W.

That depends on how thick you apply the paint. If you have a deep chip
you need to layer it and take your time.

--
Steve

Old September 22nd 04, 03:40 PM
Childfree Scott

I'd use an air brush to fix the places you describe. Spray cans suck.