Chrysler’s August Sales Down 34%

Old September 4th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Jim Higgins

Default Chrysler’s August Sales Down 34%

Chrysler’s August Sales Down 34%
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/chr...sales-down-34/

Chrysler LLC’s first month without car leasing went just fine, thank
you. Okay, maybe not. The beleaguered automaker’s sales are down 34%
last month and 24% for the year, with the second number going down 1
percent in each of the past 3 months. There were few bright spots, the
biggest being the Town & Country minivan, up 15% and Charger up 3%
(*cough* fleets). The Dodge Journey continues to sell well at 4,587
CUV’s sold this month, and everything else was petrified from too much
time on the lots. The smaller Jeep Patriot was down 21%, which wasn’t
as bad as its hideous fraternal twins, the Compass (down 56%) and Dodge
Caliber (down 57%). Most other vehicles are again in negative double
digit territory. Dodge Durango didn’t do quite as badly this month, up
to 1,430 from 384 in July. The Durango Hybrid (DuH) hasn’t gone on sale
yet, so we’ll wait for the numbers to bump next month. Or not.

--
Civis Romanus Sum
Old September 4th 08, 05:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

Jim Higgins wrote:

> The beleaguered automaker’s sales are down 34% last month

Chrysler Canada Aug/08 sales are down 24% compared to Aug/07

> and 24% for the year

Chrysler Canada YTD sales are down 0.35% compared to 2007.

> There were few bright spots, the biggest being the Town &
> Country minivan, up 15% and Charger up 3%

In Canada, Dodge Ram August sales are up 14% over August 2007, and up
25% YTD. Dodge Nitro August sales up 31% vs 2007.

Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country August combined sales
are slightly more than double what they were in Aug 2007.

Jeep Wrangler August sales were 18% higher than 2007.

> The Dodge Journey continues to sell well at 4,587 CUV’s sold
> this month

No mention of the Journey - is it sold in Canada?

What's a CUV?
Old September 4th 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Lloyd[_2_]

On Sep 4, 12:02*am, MoPar Man > wrote:
> Jim Higgins wrote:
> > The beleaguered automaker’s sales are down 34% last month

> Chrysler Canada Aug/08 sales are down 24% compared to Aug/07
>
> > and 24% for the year

> Chrysler Canada YTD sales are down 0.35% compared to 2007.
>
> > There were few bright spots, the biggest being the Town &
> > Country minivan, up 15% *and Charger up 3%

> In Canada, Dodge Ram August sales are up 14% over August 2007, and up
> 25% YTD. *Dodge Nitro August sales up 31% vs 2007.
>
> Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country August combined sales
> are slightly more than double what they were in Aug 2007.
>
> Jeep Wrangler August sales were 18% higher than 2007.
>
> > The Dodge Journey continues to sell well at 4,587 CUV’s sold
> > this month

> No mention of the Journey - is it sold in Canada?
>
> What's a CUV?

Crossover Utility Vehicle

Journey just came out a few months ago. Based on the Sebring/Avenger
platform. About the size of the old short wb minivans.
Old September 5th 08, 09:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Jim Higgins" > wrote in message
technology...
> Chrysler’s August Sales Down 34%
> http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/chr...sales-down-34/
>
> Chrysler LLC’s first month without car leasing went just fine, thank
> you. Okay, maybe not. The beleaguered automaker’s sales are down 34%

That makes no difference. What matters is how profitable each line is.

When they were doing the leasing they were losing money on many
models, on every sale. More sales just meant you lost money faster.
Now without the leasing they are making more money on each sale so they
are much better off.

Ted

Old September 8th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Josh S

Default Chrysler¹s August Sales Down 34%

In article
technology>,
Jim Higgins > wrote:

> Chrysler¹s August Sales Down 34%
> http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/chr...sales-down-34/
>
> Chrysler LLC¹s first month without car leasing went just fine, thank
> you. Okay, maybe not. The beleaguered automaker¹s sales are down 34%
> last month and 24% for the year, with the second number going down 1
> percent in each of the past 3 months. There were few bright spots, the
> biggest being the Town & Country minivan, up 15% and Charger up 3%
> (*cough* fleets). The Dodge Journey continues to sell well at 4,587
> CUV¹s sold this month, and everything else was petrified from too much
> time on the lots. The smaller Jeep Patriot was down 21%, which wasn¹t
> as bad as its hideous fraternal twins, the Compass (down 56%) and Dodge
> Caliber (down 57%). Most other vehicles are again in negative double
> digit territory. Dodge Durango didn¹t do quite as badly this month, up
> to 1,430 from 384 in July. The Durango Hybrid (DuH) hasn¹t gone on sale
> yet, so we¹ll wait for the numbers to bump next month. Or not.

Here our dealers are sold out of Calibers.
Could that be why their sales are down?
A huge number of 300s on their lots though.

A few weeks ago I went around to a few of our several Chrysler dealers,
looking for a 2004 300M.
Few 300Ms available, but lots of sales talk trying to convince me I
should get a 300. Just like politicians, try anything!
Old September 8th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Josh S

In article
Lloyd > wrote:

> On Sep 4, 12:02*am, MoPar Man > wrote:
> > Jim Higgins wrote:
> > > The beleaguered automaker¹s sales are down 34% last month

> > Chrysler Canada Aug/08 sales are down 24% compared to Aug/07
> >
> > > and 24% for the year

> > Chrysler Canada YTD sales are down 0.35% compared to 2007.
> >
> > > There were few bright spots, the biggest being the Town &
> > > Country minivan, up 15% *and Charger up 3%

> > In Canada, Dodge Ram August sales are up 14% over August 2007, and up
> > 25% YTD. *Dodge Nitro August sales up 31% vs 2007.
> >
> > Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country August combined sales
> > are slightly more than double what they were in Aug 2007.
> >
> > Jeep Wrangler August sales were 18% higher than 2007.
> >
> > > The Dodge Journey continues to sell well at 4,587 CUV¹s sold
> > > this month

> > No mention of the Journey - is it sold in Canada?
> >
> > What's a CUV?

> Crossover Utility Vehicle
>
> Journey just came out a few months ago. Based on the Sebring/Avenger
> platform. About the size of the old short wb minivans.

Yes the Journey has been at my CDN dealer for a few months.

IMO it's a small van, just like the Pacifica is a larger van.
If the spare is slung underneath, it's not a car or CUV.

Chrysler knows that, that's why they discontinued the small van.
Very good price if you like it and the 4 cyl does the job for you.
Old September 8th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Josh S

In article >,
"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote:

> When they were doing the leasing they were losing money on many
> models, on every sale. More sales just meant you lost money faster.
> Now without the leasing they are making more money on each sale so they
> are much better off.

The leasing losses come at lease end when they the off lease vehicle is
worth less than they predicted. It will take a year or more for that
difference to show.
Old September 10th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Brian Priebe

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 01:37:30 GMT, Josh S > wrote:

>IMO it's a small van, just like the Pacifica is a larger van.

Anyone who has actually driven a Pacifica would not mistake it for any
kind of van. The AWD model in particular would embarrass more than a
few ordinary sedans going around corners.
Old September 10th 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
CopperTop[_9_]

Brian Priebe <'> wrote in :

> On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 01:37:30 GMT, Josh S > wrote:
>
>>IMO it's a small van, just like the Pacifica is a larger van.

> Anyone who has actually driven a Pacifica would not mistake it for any
> kind of van. The AWD model in particular would embarrass more than a
> few ordinary sedans going around corners.

=============================

The Pacifica, in particular the late models Limiteds with the 4.0 V6 and
dual exhaust was probably one of the nicest cars
(truck/van/crossover/whatever) that Chrysler has made in many years. It
was quick, comfortable and handled better than many cars I've driven. I
truly hate they axed it.

Old September 11th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Brian Priebe

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 14:41:18 -0500, CopperTop >
wrote:

> I truly hate they axed it.

Amen to that. If Nardelli et al cannot make money building Tourings
and Limiteds, like they originally started out to in 2003 with pretty
loaded 'base' models, then there is something seriously amiss at
Chrysler. It looked like somebody panicked when the sales numbers
weren't what they expected.

There wasn't a lot wrong with the original models that could not have
been fairly easily corrected. I'm happy enough with the reputedly
bulletproof 3.5L but the 4-speed transmission just doesn't cut it..
However, the panel fit in places is appalling. The trim fit at the A
pillars should not be acceptable in an econobox, let alone a vehicle
they were asking CDN$53,500 for. Nevertheless I bought one.

The marketing of the vehicle was appalling from the word GO and heads
should have rolled. As near as I can tell it had next to no
advertising exposure in print or TV. I cannot recall a single
instance in any local newspaper ad in the 4 years since I bought my
AWD, that any Pacifica model was ever mentioned. It's all trucks,
Jeeps, vans, and 300's. And God help you trying to find a sales droid
who actually knew anything about the vehicle. The only reason
Chrysler got my business, first vehicle of theirs I'd ever bought, was
their Internet web site. For all the good their dealers in town were,
they might as well shut them all down and sell through eBay.

Bringing out the new stripped base model as a Chrysler IMHO was a huge
mistake. From the outside, you can hardly tell the difference between
a loaded Touring and a model costing $15K less. Reminiscent of the
mistake Cadillac made 20 years ago when their cars looked exactly like
Oldsmobiles costing 1/2 the price.

March Chrysler sales down 19.4% in the US, up 3.5% in Canada MoPar Man Chrysler 2 April 7th 08 01:56 AM
Chrysler sales guest Auto Photos 1 October 11th 07 09:20 PM
GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda report sales declines, Chrysler rises Just Facts Chrysler 0 May 3rd 07 08:02 PM
Ford, Chrysler sales tumble Jim Higgins Chrysler 0 March 1st 07 06:42 PM
Chrysler sales gain, but falls to No. 4 Jim Higgins Chrysler 3 January 13th 07 09:12 PM