Tire Recommend for '63 Split Window

Old January 11th 07, 09:00 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Codifus

Default Tire Recommend for '63 Split Window

I've got a restored '63 split window vette. It's been running on
Continental SportContact2 tires, but I'm unhappy with the road holding
of these tires.

Any recommendations for vettes of this era would be appreciated.

Codifus

Old January 11th 07, 11:41 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Kickstart[_1_]

> I've got a restored '63 split window vette. It's been running on
> Continental SportContact2 tires, but I'm unhappy with the road holding
> of these tires.
>
> Any recommendations for vettes of this era would be appreciated.
>
> Codifus

I doubt if its the tires,
The problem is more than likely the wax they use on museum floors.
It builds up on your tires, my suggestion would be to clean your tires
before rolling the car outside to load on the trailer.

kickstart

Old January 12th 07, 02:05 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"Kickstart" > wrote in message
>> I've got a restored '63 split window vette. It's been
>> running on
>> Continental SportContact2 tires, but I'm unhappy with the
>> road holding
>> of these tires.
>>
>> Any recommendations for vettes of this era would be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Codifus

> I doubt if its the tires,
> The problem is more than likely the wax they use on museum
> floors.
> It builds up on your tires, my suggestion would be to
> clean your tires before rolling the car outside to load on
> the trailer.
>
> kickstart

how did ya get a "museum" reference out of that ?

--
"Key"
========

Old January 12th 07, 05:45 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PDDeen

I was last running 215.65 Bridgestone radials on mine and it handled
well. Original was 6.70X15 belted which were really skinny but made for
a Hellofa burnout.

PDeen

Old January 15th 07, 08:15 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Private

I talked to a lot of owners and did a lot of fit checks on other midyear
cars with various tires. I found that the most common point of interference
was the bolts for the steering box and that cars with tires wider than 215
always had shinny bolt heads from tire rubbing.

I obtained the specifications of the (largest OEM stock) 7.75x15 tire and
calculated that the P215/70R15 was the closest modern tire size that would
result in the same OD and height.

I am currently using BF Goodrich Radial TAs which were only available with
whitewall which I mounted to the inside. I have not had any clearance
problems and am satisfied with the 'look'.

YMMV

ps.com...

Old January 26th 07, 05:20 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Codifus

On Jan 16, 6:15 am, "Private" > wrote:

> I am currently using BF Goodrich Radial TAs which were only available with
> whitewall which I mounted to the inside. I have not had any clearance
> problems and am satisfied with the 'look'.

So the Goodrich Radial TA's aren't "one way" tires? I know some of
these performance tires are only designed to rotate in one direction.

Putting them on backward would also have these "one way" tires running
the wrong way, I think.

Old January 26th 07, 08:15 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

Codifus wrote:

> On Jan 16, 6:15 am, "Private" > wrote:
>

>>I am currently using BF Goodrich Radial TAs which were only available with
>>whitewall which I mounted to the inside. I have not had any clearance
>>problems and am satisfied with the 'look'.

> So the Goodrich Radial TA's aren't "one way" tires? I know some of
> these performance tires are only designed to rotate in one direction.
>
> Putting them on backward would also have these "one way" tires running
> the wrong way, I think.

Nope, not directional.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Radial+T%2 FA