AOD recalibration kit

Old June 20th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default AOD recalibration kit

Anyone have any experience with the AOD valve body recalibration kit. I have
always been bothered with the early 1-2 and 2-3 shift points in my 89 5.0
with AOD. I put in 3.73 gears several years ago and that helps some but I am
thinking of something like this kit which is said to raise RPM shift points
for the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I don't care so much about the 1-2 shift but the
2-3 shift occurs so soon that around town it is like the care doesn't have a
2nd gear. Yes I know that I can manually shift but that can be jarring with
the AOD.

Any one with experience with this Mod? any thoughts

Thanks in advance
Howard

Old June 21st 06, 09:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Howard Nelson wrote:
> Anyone have any experience with the AOD valve body recalibration kit. I have
> always been bothered with the early 1-2 and 2-3 shift points in my 89 5.0
> with AOD. I put in 3.73 gears several years ago and that helps some but I am
> thinking of something like this kit which is said to raise RPM shift points
> for the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I don't care so much about the 1-2 shift but the
> 2-3 shift occurs so soon that around town it is like the care doesn't have a
> 2nd gear. Yes I know that I can manually shift but that can be jarring with
> the AOD.
>
> Any one with experience with this Mod? any thoughts
>
> Thanks in advance
> Howard

About the first mod I made. I installed a B&M Transpak shift kit into
my 89 LX in 1991 or 1992. Shifted much crisper, could even chirp the
tires if I tried, complemented the 3.73 gears well. I didn't start
hearing that they extended tranny life until a couple years later, but I
believe it. My transmission still worked like new at 175,000 miles with
no other work than Redline fluid/filter changes. Even autocrossed it
for a few years with no problems.

Arlie
Old July 16th 06, 08:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Howard Nelson wrote:
> Anyone have any experience with the AOD valve body recalibration kit. I have
> always been bothered with the early 1-2 and 2-3 shift points in my 89 5.0
> with AOD. I put in 3.73 gears several years ago and that helps some but I am
> thinking of something like this kit which is said to raise RPM shift points
> for the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I don't care so much about the 1-2 shift but the
> 2-3 shift occurs so soon that around town it is like the care doesn't have a
> 2nd gear. Yes I know that I can manually shift but that can be jarring with
> the AOD.
>
> Any one with experience with this Mod? any thoughts
>
> Thanks in advance
> Howard

You can fabricate a spacer about .050" thick to install on the TV limit
valve (bore # 6) between the valve and the spring. I installed a .080"
spacer and had to remove it and install a thinner one. The full
throttle shift point was too high for my tastes.
This mod won't effect normal driving shift points. You will have to
keep your foot in it to delay the shift.
I seriously recommend this mod. You don't have to buy a kit. Make the
spacer out of a small washer with an inside diameter of .250" and an
outside of just smaller than the bore.
I would install a full kit though while you got the thing apart, but
most kits don't feature this mod.

Old July 19th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Howard Nelson

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Howard Nelson wrote:
> > Anyone have any experience with the AOD valve body recalibration kit. I

have
> > always been bothered with the early 1-2 and 2-3 shift points in my 89

5.0
> > with AOD. I put in 3.73 gears several years ago and that helps some but

I am
> > thinking of something like this kit which is said to raise RPM shift

points
> > for the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I don't care so much about the 1-2 shift but

the
> > 2-3 shift occurs so soon that around town it is like the care doesn't

have a
> > 2nd gear. Yes I know that I can manually shift but that can be jarring

with
> > the AOD.
> >
> > Any one with experience with this Mod? any thoughts
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Howard

> You can fabricate a spacer about .050" thick to install on the TV limit
> valve (bore # 6) between the valve and the spring. I installed a .080"
> spacer and had to remove it and install a thinner one. The full
> throttle shift point was too high for my tastes.
> This mod won't effect normal driving shift points. You will have to
> keep your foot in it to delay the shift.
> I seriously recommend this mod. You don't have to buy a kit. Make the
> spacer out of a small washer with an inside diameter of .250" and an
> outside of just smaller than the bore.
> I would install a full kit though while you got the thing apart, but
> most kits don't feature this mod.

Actually what I want to change are the normal shift points. Full throttle is
of little use in daily driving in a 5.0 on city streets and stop and go
freeway. I am happy with the full throttle shift points as they are. It is
the normal throttle shift points at 1400-1500 rpm that drives me bats. I
would like normal shift points to be at 2300-2500 rpm. Any way of doing this
without replacing the transmission?

Howard

Howard.

Speedometer Recalibration Rusted Jeep 8 April 8th 05 02:34 AM
speedometer recalibration Dies Deambulo 4x4 2 March 24th 04 02:17 AM