Burning oil smell

Old May 18th 04, 03:38 AM
cp

Default Burning oil smell

Hi, after driving '86 audi 5000CD turbo quattro (I hopes that's enough info) at around 110mph for
about 10 minutes and then stopping and turning off the car some smoke smelling like hot oil comes
out near the right hand head light, I checked the oil today but didn't notice any level change. Any
idea what this could be? Maybe a weak head gasket about to go?

Thanks,
cp

Old May 18th 04, 03:09 PM
eBob.com

Once, when I thought I smelled hot/burning engine oil, it turned out to be
transmission fluid dripping onto the exhaust system (the catalitic
converter, I think).

Bob

Old May 18th 04, 03:29 PM
Steve Sears

cp,
The turbo is in that area, as is the oil cooler, filter,
etc.......engine...... Sounds like there's an oil leak in that area, the
radiant heat from the turbo/exhaust manifold is burning it off. Chances
are, if you pushed the car hard for 10 minutes and did an immediate
shutdown, and it was dark out, you'd see the turbo glowing. The oil cooler
lines are often brittle and leak a bit, the oil lines on the turbo can
corrode and leak a bit, if the intercooler end caps are leaking they can
blow a mist of oil out when you shift, old valve cover gaskets leak a bit,
oil filter may be leaking, etc. etc. etc. It might be a good idea to pop
the hood and have a look when it smokes like that. If you want to prolong
the life of the turbo, you should be using synthetic oil.....and allow the
turbo to cool off by running at low boost (ie - around 2000 rpm) for about
10 minutes before shutting the car down - regardless of whether you have an
afterrun system or not. The combo of dino-oil and hot shutdowns will clog
the turbo bearings with cooked ("coked") oil. BTW, the amount of oil needed
to produce a fair amount of smoke will not show up as a change in the level
on the dipstick. Make sure the heat shield is in place around the right
side motor mount or the radiant heat will burn that as well.
Blown head gaskets most commonly leak internally in the block/head - If
you're concenred about the head gasket, check for oil in the coolant/coolant
in the oil/whitish residue on the spark plugs. Run the car up to
temperature, then pull the plugs and hold an inspection mirror over the plug
holes - fogging = coolant leak into the cylinder. A compression check and
comparison with the specs in the Bentley Manual will also help.
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Old May 18th 04, 06:12 PM
cp

Will check, thanks!

Old May 18th 04, 06:13 PM
cp

Thank you for your reply, a lot of things for me to check! :-)

Old May 18th 04, 06:22 PM
Steve Sears

cp,
A good source of info on these cars (aside from here...of course...) is
www.audifans.com and www.sjmautotechnik.com - and.....did I mention the
Bentley Manual???
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ - CD edition without a CD

Old May 18th 04, 07:49 PM
cp

> A good source of info on these cars (aside from here...of course...) is
> www.audifans.com and www.sjmautotechnik.com - and.....did I mention the
> Bentley Manual???

What's the best place to get that? (Bentley Manual)

Thanks!
cp

Old May 18th 04, 08:55 PM
Steve Sears

cp,
Probably eBay - you can get a new set (2 volume) from www.rb.com or your
local Audi dealer.
You can also put up a Wanted ad in the Audifans classifieds - you never know
how many people there have a set collecting dust for a car they no longer
have.
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ - well used Bentley Manuals close at hand (from eBay)
1980 Audi 5k - extra copy of Bentley Manual on hand...just in case (from
local paper and used book store)
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - Factory Workshop Manuals (from
eBay.de - used in conjunction with Babelfish)

Old May 19th 04, 05:03 AM
cp

Steve, I have another question for you.
This Audi has a (maybe I should say THE) warm
starting problem. I looked it up on this ng and found
many posts, the first one was mine from years back
when I had a similar audi, I forgot it had the problem.
After reading most of the posts I'm still not sure where
to look. The car starts perfectly when cold or hot but if
it has been standing for 30-60 min it will refuse to start, it
sounds like a dry start. It will start all of a sudden after
cranking for a minute or two (with breaks of course). The
idle will be unsteady and the engine sometime turns off. When
started hot or cold it runs perfectly. Any idea where I should
start looking for this problem? I have a bit of mechanical
competency :-)

Thanks in advance for any help,
cp

Old May 19th 04, 03:53 PM
Steve Sears

cp,
Often the hot start problem is due to overheating the fuel in the lines
above the manifolds. Try shielding the lines (the car originally came with
a rubber cover around the lines) - my '87 has a similar problem and since
I'm in the process of reinstating the A/C...and it's getting hot out
there...I'm going to be insulating the lines. I'm making a cover (like the
tattered original rubber boot that was in the car when I bought it) out of
reflective foam core insulation - the stuff that some hot rodders use for
firewall/underhood insulation. The basic problem is that the 10v engines
have both hot and cold manifolds on the same side of the engine - and when
parked, the exhaust manifold heats the intake manifold, and the fuel lines
above (uh..."heat rises" was a hard lesson to learn?) the 20v changed to a
better setup to allow for a Hot and Cold side. Make sure that the injector
cooling fan is working as well - the thermo-switch is located on the heat
shield at the back of the head over the wastegate (grounding the connection
should start the fan).
Another thing I'm tackling is that the intake air temp sensor is located in
the intercooler - I'm moving it to just behind the throttle body on the
intake manifold (when I get around to installing the bypass valve....etc.
etc. etc.). The different location of the sensor will give a better
representation of startup air temp to the ECU - don't know if that will make
as much of a difference as the shielding.
All that fails, check fuel pressures/fuel pump check valve/injector
condition/etc. I have heard that some times the crankshaft reference sensor
gets lazy when hot - that would throw a code you could read.