1996 T&C Tail Light (Only) Failure

Old August 7th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Edge1960

Default 1996 T&C Tail Light (Only) Failure

I have a 1996 T&C that the tail lights have suddenly stopped working.
Turn signal, brake lights, reverse lights and hazards all work, only
the tail lights don't work. It is on both the left and the right sides.
I have checked the bulbs (good), continuity of the tail light assembly
(good), fuses under hood (good), and fuses under dash (good). I also
checked voltages coming through the harness and find that I am not
getting any voltage for tail lights, all other functions tested with
voltage. Is there a relay that could possibly be malfunctioning, or
perhaps a fusible link that may have blown. Any help with this would be
greatly aprreciated!

Edge1960

Old August 8th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ken Weitzel

Edge1960 wrote:

> I have a 1996 T&C that the tail lights have suddenly stopped working.
> Turn signal, brake lights, reverse lights and hazards all work, only
> the tail lights don't work. It is on both the left and the right sides.
> I have checked the bulbs (good), continuity of the tail light assembly
> (good), fuses under hood (good), and fuses under dash (good). I also
> checked voltages coming through the harness and find that I am not
> getting any voltage for tail lights, all other functions tested with
> voltage. Is there a relay that could possibly be malfunctioning, or
> perhaps a fusible link that may have blown. Any help with this would be
> greatly aprreciated!
>
> Edge1960

Hi Edge...

Not a mechanic, just an old retired electrical guy, so take what
I say with a grain of salt...

I suggest that there's zero possibility of your tail lamps
being fused separately from other running lights, and
absolutely no chance of there being a fusible link.

What's almost certainly happened is that you've somehow
managed to break a wire, or less likely pull apart a
connector.

(It's vacation time, have you loaded up with luggage and
stuff, putting it in and taking it out a little roughly?)

Anyway, see if you can find the harness that comes from
the front of the car, and check it thoroughly for physical
damage. Where you see unprotected wires, run your thumb
and forefinger along them, trying gently to bend them into
a little U shape. If the wire inside the insulation is
broken, it will bend much more easily at that point, and
you will notice it.

Check connectors, too.

You said only the tail lights, but it might be interesting
and helpful to check once again - see if the license
plate light(s) illuminate.

Good luck, and take care.

Ken

Old August 8th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Edge1960" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I have a 1996 T&C that the tail lights have suddenly stopped working.
> Turn signal, brake lights, reverse lights and hazards all work, only
> the tail lights don't work. It is on both the left and the right sides.
> I have checked the bulbs (good), continuity of the tail light assembly
> (good), fuses under hood (good), and fuses under dash (good). I also
> checked voltages coming through the harness and find that I am not
> getting any voltage for tail lights, all other functions tested with
> voltage. Is there a relay that could possibly be malfunctioning, or
> perhaps a fusible link that may have blown. Any help with this would be
> greatly aprreciated!
>
> Edge1960

I believe there are 3 fuses that could cause no taillamps. fuse #6 of the
PDC under the hood. Fuse # 4 and #1 of the Junction block under the dash.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech