98' Accord, Rear camber not adjustable?

Old July 1st 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

Default 98' Accord, Rear camber not adjustable?

"Al" > wrote in
:

> Ok, I've got the sheet today.
>
> left rear had a camber of -1.1, and the right rear was -1.0

Your rear camber should be -0º25' +- 30'.
This means you are approximately a quarter of a degree out on the right,
and just over that on the left.

This is a tiny non-compliance, really. Your car (as the others have said)
is a bit young for bushing wear, although that likely accounts for what
you're seeing. The non-compliance is also too small to indicate collision
damage. If I were you, I'd leave it alone and just make sure I rotated the
tires every other oil change or so.

> left rear had a toe of -.07, and the right rear was -.12, for a total
> of -.19

Perfect.

> thrust angle was .02

No prob at all.

Enjoy your Honda.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old July 1st 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Al" > wrote in
:

> Yes, "adjustable rear control arms".

Don't spend any money on this. See my other reply. You are just fine,
believe me.

Old July 1st 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"TeGGeR®" > wrote
> "Al" > wrote
>> Ok, I've got the sheet today.
>> left rear had a camber of -1.1, and the right rear
>> was -1.0

> Your rear camber should be -0º25' +- 30'.

Or the range is -55 minutes to +5 minutes.
Also known as -55/60 degree to +5/60 degree.

> This means you are approximately a quarter of a degree out
> on the right,
> and just over that on the left.

Am I missing something? If the ideal rear camber on each
wheel is negative 25 minutes, and this gentleman's 98 Accord
has a negative one degree camber on the rear right, then
isn't his 98 Accord's rear right camber off by

35/60 degree = 0.58 degree = 35 minutes from ideal
5/60 degree = 0.083 degree = 5 minutes from the outer spec
of -55 minutes

His 98 Accord's rear left camber is off by

1.1-25/60 = .6833... = 41 minutes from ideal
1.1-55/60 = 0.1833... = 11 minutes from the outer spec
of -55 minutes

Where did you get the specifications from, anyway? I'm sure
you have them right; I'm just curious.

Seems Dick at
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...d233f04523fa98
found a different number for the ideal rear camber spec.
Interesting that this 2005 thread has a poster trying to be
sold on "adjustable rear control arms," too.

Old July 5th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Elle" > wrote in
news

> Where did you get the specifications from, anyway? I'm sure
> you have them right; I'm just curious.

I got them from the factory shop manual.

Yes, you are right. His camber *is* off. But my point was that it's not off
by enough for it to be worth spend money fixing it.

If he was suffering from steering pull (which he appears not to be), or
excessive tire wear (also not present) then there would be a more pressing
need to have it fixed.

If there's no pull but slightly accelerated tire wear, rotation will even
that out for a long time.

Old July 5th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"TeGGeR®" > wrote
> I got them from the factory shop manual.
>
> Yes, you are right. His camber *is* off.

You yourself said that in the post previous to mine. My
point, as you know, is there are 60 angular minutes in an
angular degree. To clarify for newbies yada.

> But my point was that it's not off
> by enough for it to be worth spend money fixing it.
>
> If he was suffering from steering pull (which he appears
> not to be), or
> excessive tire wear (also not present)

That's unclear. He said he's having abnormal wear.

A complete inspection of the suspension, especially parts
susceptible to wear, seems appropriate to me.

Old July 5th 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Elle" > wrote in
ink.net:

> "TeGGeR®" > wrote
>> I got them from the factory shop manual.
>>
>> Yes, you are right. His camber *is* off.

> You yourself said that in the post previous to mine. My
> point, as you know, is there are 60 angular minutes in an
> angular degree. To clarify for newbies yada.
>
>> But my point was that it's not off
>> by enough for it to be worth spend money fixing it.
>>
>> If he was suffering from steering pull (which he appears
>> not to be), or
>> excessive tire wear (also not present)

> That's unclear. He said he's having abnormal wear.

I missed that. How bad though? Is it light enough that he could save
himself $300 by simply rotating the tires?

> A complete inspection of the suspension, especially parts
> susceptible to wear, seems appropriate to me.

That's what I said in my first reply to him:
"I'd make sure the $300 isn't going towards covering up some other problem
first."

Old July 5th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Al[_1_]

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
> "Elle" > wrote in
> ink.net:
>
>> "TeGGeR®" > wrote
>>> I got them from the factory shop manual.
>>>
>>> Yes, you are right. His camber *is* off.

>> You yourself said that in the post previous to mine. My
>> point, as you know, is there are 60 angular minutes in an
>> angular degree. To clarify for newbies yada.
>>
>>> But my point was that it's not off
>>> by enough for it to be worth spend money fixing it.
>>>
>>> If he was suffering from steering pull (which he appears
>>> not to be), or
>>> excessive tire wear (also not present)

>> That's unclear. He said he's having abnormal wear.

> I missed that. How bad though? Is it light enough that he could save
> himself $300 by simply rotating the tires?

The alignment guy said that the tire wear was "into secondary rubber, around
the inside of the tire", now showing on all 4, after rotation(s). I've
looked and cannot see much other than a dark stripe on the very inside
corner of each tire. The inside treads are also slightly "feathered". After
the rotation last week, I am hearing a whine, kind of like I have snow
tires, directly related to speed.

It is sounding like the camber is a minor deal, so I assume the wear is
coming from the toe, which is adjustable. If the camber problem is
attributable to the bushings, how expensive should it be to replace them?

I wrote:
>> left rear had a toe of -.07, and the right rear was -.12, for a total
>> of -.19

> "TeGGeR®" > wrote
>Perfect.

Is it? Then where might the the tire wear coming from?

Thanks all for your responses, I am learning more about my Honda which I
dearly love. While I do not normally drive aggressively, I do enjoy precise
handling, and there have been times when I have had to drive very
aggressively. My daughter was born 4 minutes after arriving at the ER, after
a 45 minute drive, done in way less than 45 minutes.

Gratefully:

Al G

2006 Accord Rear Ended & damage TWRUD Honda 1 April 19th 06 01:40 AM
Ping Tigger: case study on rear O2 sensor and fuel trim Stephen H Honda 0 December 24th 05 05:37 AM
2004 Accord Rear Bumper Rick04 Honda 7 December 13th 05 03:03 PM
06 accord rear view mirror? Dr Nick Honda 2 November 28th 05 12:27 AM
What circuit or fuse for rear defrost on 99 Accord? [email protected] Honda 1 November 9th 05 10:05 PM