Oregon Dunes, beach driving in OR

Old January 8th 05, 10:59 PM
John Davies

Default Oregon Dunes, beach driving in OR

I am planning a summer visit to the North and South Oregon coast and
am interested in learning about beach driving and also the Oregon
Dunes area.

In particular I would like a map that shows which beaches are open to
driving and when (seasonal restrictions).

My truck has front and rear lockers but I am running 33 inch MTRs -
will the aggressive tread cause trouble in deep loose sand even aired
down? I have never done any of this type of driving.

I know I need a flag and an ATV permit for the Dunes - is there
anything else I need to know? Are full sized vehicles limited to
certain areas or trails? Got any good links?

How about a nice tent campground near the Dunes that is not swarming
with dirt bikes and ATVs?

Thanks for any help - I am sure a lot of you guys have driven this
area....

John Davies

Old January 8th 05, 11:40 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Google:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ng&btnG=Search
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 9th 05, 12:28 AM
Dean

We were there last summer and the only full sized anything I saw on the dunes
was a GM pickup frame with a roll cage welded on where the body used to be. It
was being used by the outfit we rented the ATV's from to smooth out the moguls
in the trail. They were dragging what looked like an old bed frame. The tires
on this beast were Mickey Thompson 35x17.50 Baja's.

I was really disappointed that I didn't see one Jeep where we were. (But maybe
they weren't allowed. I don't know)

Now if you want to talk about fun, those ATV's we rented were a blast on the
dunes, and they were just 250's. I'd never ridden one before and it was a total
spur of the moment decision to rent them. Unfortunately for my wallet I now
have a real bad case of the "I wants." <lol>

The dunes are a fun place and I hope to return someday,
Dean

Old January 9th 05, 06:07 AM
Ed Roper

air down to about 25psi...

if you feel yourself stop moving, let off the gas, IMMEDIATELY....

treat it like mud...except even harder to get out of....

ed .... ( beach local....)

Old January 9th 05, 05:11 PM
Lon

And be quite knowledgeable about local tidal schedules. Nothing like
watching the water slowly head for your tires as you try to get
either a tow or enough stuff under them to get a bit of forward
motion again....the good news is that the wetting from the incoming
tide can help you get out. The bad news is if you don't follow
Ed's advice and have buried yourself in the sand.

Ed Roper proclaimed:

Old January 9th 05, 05:16 PM
Jerry Bransford

Air down to 25 psi??? That little amount of airing down will not do
much good at all. To effectively increase the footprint of the tire,
you need to get the air pressure down into the low or maybe the mid
teens... which is not airing down too much at all. Remember to let the
sand slow you down and stop you, using the brakes to stop on sand will
usually cause a berm to form in front of your tires which makes getting
started again a dicey thing.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old January 9th 05, 05:34 PM
Dean

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 01:07:38 -0500, "Ed Roper" > wrote:

>air down to about 25psi...

25 psi? Heck that is my street pressure <lol>

>if you feel yourself stop moving, let off the gas, IMMEDIATELY....
>

>treat it like mud...except even harder to get out of....

As a rock crawler mud and sand scare me. <g> Give me broken u joints, snapped
axles and roll overs any day! <lol>

Dean

.. .

Old January 9th 05, 07:28 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Ed,
Type-Oh? I use five pounds in sand:
http://www.billhughes.com/pismo.htm Ten in rock:
http://www.billhughes.com/68jeep.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old January 9th 05, 08:27 PM
Dave Milne

The woman behind you - reminds me of the painting "the scream" :-)

http://www.artofeurope.com/munch/mun3.htm
http://www.billhughes.com/68jeep.jpg

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old January 9th 05, 08:43 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Except, she was saying something about that drunk a** hole's going
to roll it again.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Driving Issues Joe P. Driving 14 December 31st 04 11:33 PM
HEMI's HOT Luke Smith Driving 208 December 19th 04 05:27 PM
Subject: Traffic School - online traffic school experience response [email protected] Corvette 0 October 9th 04 05:56 PM