Need help with paint (long but PLEASE read)

Old October 13th 03, 10:32 AM
JK

Default Need help with paint (long but PLEASE read)

Hi. I recently acquired a '78 Monte Carlo in excellent mechanical
condition and only 59,000 miles. Only thing it needed was paint.

Before I go any further, I'd just like to explain that I don't have a
lot of spare money to spend on expensive options. I'm in college
right now and I do just about everything on a budget. Now, that said,
on to the issue at hand.

First, I had never painted a car before, so I did some reading and
studying on the subject. After consideration of my budget and what I
felt I could do, I decided to paint the car with white non-metallic,
single stage acrylic enamel over an epoxy sealer. I do know I mixed
the paint, reducer and hardener in the correct proportions according
to instructions. I'm majoring in chemistry so I'm used to being
specific in measuring out such things.

I used a general purpose siphon feed sprayer made by Powerbuilt that I
bought at Checker Auto. The guys at Carquest, where I bought my
supplies took it apart and examined it and said it should work fine.

Anyway, I used a friend's garage and compressor to do the spray.
However, when I was adjusting the gun, I could never get the kind of
pattern I've read that I should try to get. Most people said it
should be a pattern that's about 8-10" tall from a foot away. I could
never get a pattern more than about 6" tall. I tried the full range
of the fluid flow control, I tried pressures from 25 -55 psi. I tried
the full range of the pattern adjustment. I tried drilling an extra
vent hole near the top edge of the cup, I still couldn't get the
pattern any bigger, only wetter or dryer.

Anyway, on to the painting. I did the first coat kind of thin. Same
with the second coat. At that point all traces of the underlying
primer were pretty much covered except for a few scattered areas. I
tried to make the third coat a bit heavier and it covered fairly well,
and the dusty like appearance was beginning to fill in better. The
fourth coat was much like the third and after that I was still left
with a moderate orange peel, but I was getting closer. I figured a
couple more coats should do it. At this point, my flow knob was all
the way out and so I tried lowering the pressure to about 28 psi to
try to make it go on wetter, if slower.

I got about 3/4 the way through my fifth coat when it happened. I
lost pressure and at that point realized that the compressor hadn't
kicked in for a while. It was DEAD. No breakers were tripped. It
was just dead. The fifth coat was going on nicely and the orange peel
was really starting to flatten out in some areas. But with no
compressor I was finished. I had no choice.

So what do I do? I have orange peel ranging from mild to what I would
call a little worse than moderate on the quarter panels. I also have
a couple of minor cissing spots that need addressed with touch up
paint and a total of 4 one to two inch runs. I still have a half
gallon of the paint. Can I get that put into spray cans and give it
another coat that way or should I just live with it for a month and
wet sand it smooth then polish? Is it too late for another coat (I
sprayed it Saturday night)? Do I even need another coat? I'm leaning
toward waiting and then hitting it with some 2000 grit, but I need
some advice.

It should be noted that I don't intend to win any awards with this
car. I drive it constantly, so I just want it to look good going down
the road and in Wal-Mart's parking lot and the orange peel doesn't
have to look perfect but I'd at least like to get it something close
to a typical factory finish.

Thanks for you time.

Getting rid of scratches on paint christian9997 BMW 8 November 23rd 04 01:17 AM
'90 Plymouth Acclaim / do it yourself auto paint captain20018 Dodge 0 November 8th 04 06:35 PM
Paint Damage on 156 Torey Alfa Romeo 0 May 6th 04 01:32 AM
rust primer paint info help please. chad Antique cars 1 October 14th 03 02:47 AM