Alfa 147 clutch failure

Old July 5th 05, 08:42 PM
VMax

Default Alfa 147 clutch failure

Hi,

Just want to run this by you all

I had a clutch failure at 70,000 mls on my Alfa 147JTD
The friction plates are still ok but the pressure bearing failed.
I know the early JTD's had a problem and Alfa replaced it
under warranty up until 35,000 mls

The failure of the bearing took out my plates as well and I ended up with
a costly repair. About 800 Euros

Just like to get some advise before taking Alfa to the small claims court
( or the Dutch equivalent of it)
If anyone is interested I can mail the pics I took of the failing part

Any advice is welcome..

VMax1000

Old July 5th 05, 10:55 PM
MarkK

"VMax" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Just want to run this by you all
>
> I had a clutch failure at 70,000 mls on my Alfa 147JTD
> The friction plates are still ok but the pressure bearing failed.
> I know the early JTD's had a problem and Alfa replaced it
> under warranty up until 35,000 mls
>
> The failure of the bearing took out my plates as well and I ended up with
> a costly repair. About 800 Euros
>
> Just like to get some advise before taking Alfa to the small claims court
> ( or the Dutch equivalent of it)
> If anyone is interested I can mail the pics I took of the failing part
>
> Any advice is welcome..

Sounds like the sort of failure caused by poor driving technique. People who
hold the clutch pedal down while stationary instead of putting it in neutral
tend to wear out their clutch bearings and pressure plate prematurely. I'm
not saying this is the cause here, necessarily. 70k miles is not
unreasonable for a clutch in a car driven in heavy traffic a lot of the
time.

Mark

Old July 6th 05, 07:23 PM
alfistagj

How old is the car?
Chip tuned?

"VMax" > schreef in bericht

Old July 6th 05, 10:35 PM
VMax

"MarkK" > wrote in message
> "VMax" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just want to run this by you all
>>
>> I had a clutch failure at 70,000 mls on my Alfa 147JTD
>> The friction plates are still ok but the pressure bearing failed.
>> I know the early JTD's had a problem and Alfa replaced it
>> under warranty up until 35,000 mls
>>
>> The failure of the bearing took out my plates as well and I ended up with
>> a costly repair. About 800 Euros
>>
>> Just like to get some advise before taking Alfa to the small claims court
>> ( or the Dutch equivalent of it)
>> If anyone is interested I can mail the pics I took of the failing part
>>
>> Any advice is welcome..

> Sounds like the sort of failure caused by poor driving technique. People
> who
> hold the clutch pedal down while stationary instead of putting it in
> neutral
> tend to wear out their clutch bearings and pressure plate prematurely. I'm
> not saying this is the cause here, necessarily. 70k miles is not
> unreasonable for a clutch in a car driven in heavy traffic a lot of the
> time.
>
> Mark

Normally I agree with you, but since keeping the clutch engaged shuts down
the cruise control I never do.
Put it in neutral waiting for red light and even in traffic jams try to
crawl forward idling in 1st gear, using the clutch
as less as I can. Thanks for the input anyway.....

VMax1000

Old July 6th 05, 10:47 PM
VMax

"alfistagj" > wrote in message
. ..
> How old is the car?
> Chip tuned?
>
> "VMax" > schreef in bericht
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just want to run this by you all
>>
>> I had a clutch failure at 70,000 mls on my Alfa 147JTD
>> The friction plates are still ok but the pressure bearing failed.
>> I know the early JTD's had a problem and Alfa replaced it
>> under warranty up until 35,000 mls
>>
>> The failure of the bearing took out my plates as well and I ended up with
>> a costly repair. About 800 Euros
>>
>> Just like to get some advise before taking Alfa to the small claims court
>> ( or the Dutch equivalent of it)
>> If anyone is interested I can mail the pics I took of the failing part
>>
>> Any advice is welcome..
>>

>> VMax1000

The car is 30 months old. And yes, it's slightly modified. (150 BHP and 365
Nm)
Still I can understand friction plates not being too happy with extra torque
Brakes wearing off faster, drive shafts failing etc....etc..

My point is that the bearing doesn't transmit any power other then that
applied on it by the spring in the clutch (diafragma veer in Dutch)
when pressing the clutch pedal. And since my friction plates were still in
very good condition it strikes me as a bit odd.
Alfa dealer even confirmed this, but says "it can happen"
On the early models there were issues about the center part of the clutch
breaking out completely.......
Just wonder if the clutch set up is the same on the 150 BHP 147 JTD16V

I'm going to send the pictures I took to Alfa Romeo Netherlands anyway and
see what they say about it.
Got my dealers support on it so......I guess it's expecting the worst and
hope for the best

VMax1000

Old July 6th 05, 10:51 PM
MarkK

"VMax" > wrote in message

> "MarkK" > wrote in message

> > Sounds like the sort of failure caused by poor driving technique. People
> > who
> > hold the clutch pedal down while stationary instead of putting it in
> > neutral
> > tend to wear out their clutch bearings and pressure plate prematurely.

I'm
> > not saying this is the cause here, necessarily. 70k miles is not
> > unreasonable for a clutch in a car driven in heavy traffic a lot of the
> > time.
> >
> > Mark
> >

> Normally I agree with you, but since keeping the clutch engaged shuts down
> the cruise control I never do.
> Put it in neutral waiting for red light and even in traffic jams try to
> crawl forward idling in 1st gear, using the clutch
> as less as I can. Thanks for the input anyway.....

Have you been the only driver of the car since new?

Mark

Old July 6th 05, 11:03 PM
VMax

"MarkK" > wrote in message
> "VMax" > wrote in message
>>
>> "MarkK" > wrote in message

>> > Sounds like the sort of failure caused by poor driving technique.
>> > People
>> > who
>> > hold the clutch pedal down while stationary instead of putting it in
>> > neutral
>> > tend to wear out their clutch bearings and pressure plate prematurely.

> I'm
>> > not saying this is the cause here, necessarily. 70k miles is not
>> > unreasonable for a clutch in a car driven in heavy traffic a lot of the
>> > time.
>> >
>> > Mark
>> >

>> Normally I agree with you, but since keeping the clutch engaged shuts
>> down
>> the cruise control I never do.
>> Put it in neutral waiting for red light and even in traffic jams try to
>> crawl forward idling in 1st gear, using the clutch
>> as less as I can. Thanks for the input anyway.....
>>

> Have you been the only driver of the car since new?
>
> Mark

Yes, owned it since new and been the only driver. Started as a company car
and took it with me as I left....
Since it started as a company car it always had the scheduled maintenance
and check-ups
Still......mechanical things can fail I guess.....

VMax