timing mystery continued

Old January 2nd 05, 02:11 AM

Default timing mystery continued

I thought that I had my timing straightened out on my 82 1.7 CIS rabbit
pickup with AC. It idles pretty good now. The timing light had
confirmed that the ignition timing is on the mark. I have the cam mark
set to the top edge of the head. Everything looks good. The problem
is the lack of power. There is a significant loss in power since I had
changed the timing belt. I just dont see what is causing this. Can
anyone help me? Thanks. And what could I expect from advancing the
cam by one notch?

Old January 3rd 05, 06:28 AM

Check. I just the cam mark (on driver's side) to the top edge of the
head while #1 at TDC. I had messed with that a bit in experimentation.
The result seems fairly insignificant. I am now questioning my own
senses. That is, maybe I have gotten accustomed to a mazda pickup that
I had been driving while my truck was dead. I will take my pickup on
the freeway tomarrow to observe its behavior. That is the place that I
know my vw performance. It would usually be ~struggling when on cruise
at 75 MPH in .71 5th gear. I shall see if it will even pick up and
hold 75 MPH now. The idle point seems to change now as well. If I let
it sit and idle, it seems to start to miss a bit and the idle drops.
How do I read this? Oh, and i responce to the ignition quality.. I
have recently read that in opinion of some experts, Bosch ignition
systems are relatively of lower quality than the American counterparts.
The source of this is "The Doctor's step by step guide to optimizing
your ignition" by Christopher Jacobs of the Jacobs company that makes
ignition components. What it all seemed to come down to is the
ignition system's ability to allow greater spark plug gap. Which would
allow a larger ball of flame initially, so the propogation of
combustion would be advanced and more complete. What do you think?

wrote:

> >What can go wrong when changing a timing belt that would result in a
> >big loss of acceleration while still holding the same idle. It also
> >seems to miss just a little when cruising down the street. Please
> >help. Also, do ignition computer systems help older vws?
> >
> wrote:
> >> You will see an increase in power if the cam is one tooth

retarded.

Old January 3rd 05, 06:28 AM

Old January 3rd 05, 01:39 PM
dave

>Check. I just the cam mark (on driver's side) to the top edge of the
>head while #1 at TDC. I had messed with that a bit in experimentation.
>The result seems fairly insignificant.

How did you make sure that the piston was at TDC? Did you remove the #1 spark
plug and use a tool, like a straw, to insure the piston was at the top of the
stroke? I always like to check the timing marks on the flywheel with the
actual piston position. :-)

snip

> Oh, and i responce to the ignition quality.. I
>have recently read that in opinion of some experts, Bosch ignition
>systems are relatively of lower quality than the American counterparts.
>The source of this is "The Doctor's step by step guide to optimizing
>your ignition" by Christopher Jacobs of the Jacobs company that makes
>ignition components. What it all seemed to come down to is the
>ignition system's ability to allow greater spark plug gap. Which would
>allow a larger ball of flame initially, so the propogation of
>combustion would be advanced and more complete. What do you >think?

Uhhh does Jacobs recommend purchasing their system? lol
You can possibly purchase a hotter coil, but YOU will have to check out what
options you have including those plug wires too. I would personally stay away
from Jacobs though. IIRC I have heard of them failing from time to time and
they are not free/cheap either. :-(
What spark plugs are you using? Plain W7DCs? I usually see the stock ign.,
like on your 82, will burn out those plugs within a year of driving. I would
install the W7DTCs for a good long life.

Did you do a "tune-up"? New filters, spark plugs, new dist. cap and rotor,
dump some good fuel injection cleaner down the gas tank, etc.?
Did you:
Check those fuel injector seals for air leakage?
Check the distributor vacuum and centrifucal advance operations?
Check the Oxygen Sensor?

later,
dave
(One out of many Daves)