Fed told GM to drop Pontiac or no bailout.

Old November 3rd 13, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

Default Fed told GM to drop Pontiac or no bailout.

On 10/27/2013 11:53 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
> Hey, my first car was a '61 Ventura and "my" current car is a '93
> Grand Am. Son's driving a '95 Bonneville.
> But I don't care at all that Pontiac is gone. Just a brand name
> basically, after the muscle car times. The Bonneville is one of the
> few FWDs that didn't have a Chevy equivalent on the same platform.

I thought a Bonneville was a motorcycle?

Cannot say I mind its demise - funny to tell the Pontiac chauvinists,
"At least Honda is still making cars". Payback is a bitch

--
T0m $herm@n
Old November 3rd 13, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 11/3/2013 7:26 AM, T0m $herman wrote:
> On 10/27/2013 11:53 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
>> Hey, my first car was a '61 Ventura and "my" current car is a '93
>> Grand Am. Son's driving a '95 Bonneville.
>> But I don't care at all that Pontiac is gone. Just a brand name
>> basically, after the muscle car times. The Bonneville is one of the
>> few FWDs that didn't have a Chevy equivalent on the same platform.

> I thought a Bonneville was a motorcycle?
>
> Cannot say I mind its demise - funny to tell the Pontiac chauvinists,
> "At least Honda is still making cars". Payback is a bitch

I remember my nephew buying an Aztek. He was so proud of it, he sent us
a picture of it from his phone. All I could say was "sacrebleu!"
Old November 3rd 13, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 11:26:47 -0600, "T0m $herman"
> wrote:

>On 10/27/2013 11:53 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
>> Hey, my first car was a '61 Ventura and "my" current car is a '93
>> Grand Am. Son's driving a '95 Bonneville.
>> But I don't care at all that Pontiac is gone. Just a brand name
>> basically, after the muscle car times. The Bonneville is one of the
>> few FWDs that didn't have a Chevy equivalent on the same platform.

>I thought a Bonneville was a motorcycle?

You're probably mistaking Bonneville for Harley-Davidson.
Similar sounding, except for the syllables.

>Cannot say I mind its demise - funny to tell the Pontiac chauvinists,
>"At least Honda is still making cars". Payback is a bitch

Pretty sure it's the Honda guys who are the chauvinists, but not too
sure that's true. I'm really a Chevy guy, so I ignore lesser brands.
My Grand Am and son's Bonneville were both kind of "free."
The Grand Am a hand me down from my daughter, and my son bartered some
labor for the Bonneville.
Might even say they were foisted upon us.
The only car brand that can't disappear from the U.S. is Chevy.
I knew 100% the gov would bail out GM.
Had to, because of Chevy.
Jesus, it would be like losing Coca-Cola, Ford, or Pez.
Look what happened when Hostess went bankrupt.
Word is the gov was involved in secret negotiations to ensure Twinkies
survived.

Old November 3rd 13, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Geoff Welsh

Vic Smith wrote:
> "T0m $herman"
> > wrote:
>>
>> I thought a Bonneville was a motorcycle?
>>

> You're probably mistaking Bonneville for Harley-Davidson.
> Similar sounding, except for the syllables.

lol!!!

GW
Old November 3rd 13, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 2:16:30 PM UTC-6, Geoff Welsh wrote:
> Vic Smith wrote:
>
> > "T0m $herman"

> > > wrote:

> >> I thought a Bonneville was a motorcycle?

> > You're probably mistaking Bonneville for Harley-Davidson.

> > Similar sounding, except for the syllables.

> lol!!!
>

> GW

Bonneville Salt Flats.
Old November 3rd 13, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 11/3/2013 1:08 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 11:26:47 -0600, "T0m $herman"
> > wrote:
>
>> On 10/27/2013 11:53 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
>>> Hey, my first car was a '61 Ventura and "my" current car is a '93
>>> Grand Am. Son's driving a '95 Bonneville.
>>> But I don't care at all that Pontiac is gone. Just a brand name
>>> basically, after the muscle car times. The Bonneville is one of the
>>> few FWDs that didn't have a Chevy equivalent on the same platform.

>> I thought a Bonneville was a motorcycle?
>>

> You're probably mistaking Bonneville for Harley-Davidson.
> Similar sounding, except for the syllables.

Then what is this doing in my garage?

<http://www.teammcc.com/new_galleria.asp?sid=07352411X6K22K2013J8I56I37JPM Q1932R0&veh=327803&pov=3025016>

The Bonnie has a nice even idle with its 360° crank - sounds nothing
like an air-cooled H-D twin that due to its single journal crank and 45°
"V" angle fires at 0°, 315°, and 720°. Also has reliable electrics and
does not leak oil - my God, what have you done to British manufacturing,
Mr. Bloor?

>> Cannot say I mind its demise - funny to tell the Pontiac chauvinists,
>> "At least Honda is still making cars". Payback is a bitch

> Pretty sure it's the Honda guys who are the chauvinists, but not too
> sure that's true. I'm really a Chevy guy, so I ignore lesser brands.

I used to have a spoiled brat cow-orker (sic) who had a ca 2000 Grand
Prix and was full of himself and the car.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old November 3rd 13, 08:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 11/3/2013 2:42 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
> On 11/3/2013 1:08 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
>> On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 11:26:47 -0600, "T0m $herman"
>> > wrote:

>>> I thought a Bonneville was a motorcycle?
>>>

>> You're probably mistaking Bonneville for Harley-Davidson.
>> Similar sounding, except for the syllables.
>>

> Then what is this doing in my garage?
>
> <http://www.teammcc.com/new_galleria.asp?sid=07352411X6K22K2013J8I56I37JPM Q1932R0&veh=327803&pov=3025016>
>

> The Bonnie has a nice even idle with its 360° crank -
> sounds nothing like an air-cooled H-D twin that due to its
> single journal crank and 45° "V" angle fires at 0°, 315°,
> and 720°. Also has reliable electrics and does not leak
> oil - my God, what have you done to British manufacturing,
> Mr. Bloor?
>
>>> Cannot say I mind its demise - funny to tell the Pontiac
>>> chauvinists,
>>> "At least Honda is still making cars". Payback is a
>>> bitch

>> Pretty sure it's the Honda guys who are the chauvinists,
>> but not too
>> sure that's true. I'm really a Chevy guy, so I ignore
>> lesser brands.

> I used to have a spoiled brat cow-orker (sic) who had a ca
> 2000 Grand Prix and was full of himself and the car.

You might have bought a real one:

http://hutchinsoncycle.com/bikes/bik...neville-t120r/

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old November 3rd 13, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 11/3/2013 2:56 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
> On 11/3/2013 2:42 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
>> On 11/3/2013 1:08 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
>>> On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 11:26:47 -0600, "T0m $herman"

>>> You're probably mistaking Bonneville for Harley-Davidson.
>>> Similar sounding, except for the syllables.
>>>

>> Then what is this doing in my garage?
>>
>> <http://www.teammcc.com/new_galleria.asp?sid=07352411X6K22K2013J8I56I37JPM Q1932R0&veh=327803&pov=3025016>
>>

>> The Bonnie has a nice even idle with its 360° crank -
>> sounds nothing like an air-cooled H-D twin that due to its
>> single journal crank and 45° "V" angle fires at 0°, 315°,
>> and 720°. Also has reliable electrics and does not leak
>> oil - my God, what have you done to British manufacturing,
>> Mr. Bloor?

>>> Pretty sure it's the Honda guys who are the chauvinists,
>>> but not too
>>> sure that's true. I'm really a Chevy guy, so I ignore
>>> lesser brands.

>> I used to have a spoiled brat cow-orker (sic) who had a ca
>> 2000 Grand Prix and was full of himself and the car.
>>

> You might have bought a real one:
>
> http://hutchinsoncycle.com/bikes/bik...neville-t120r/

I like brakes that actually do something when needed. Fuel injection,
an engine that will easily go over 100K miles, and plugs that do not
foul are nice too. I have had enough old British junk for one lifetime,
so I could not pass up something British that actually works.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old November 3rd 13, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 14:42:10 -0600, "T0m $herman"
> wrote:

><http://www.teammcc.com/new_galleria.asp?sid=07352411X6K22K2013J8I56I37JPM Q1932R0&veh=327803&pov=3025016>

Holy ****. There's a dealer like that in Villa Park? We can't seem to
support anything close to that in Las Vegas, where you can ride all
year. One of the biggest reasons I didn't by the Triumph I was looking
at is that I was afraid the only local dealer would close, and it did
shortly after I was looking. I would have probably had to go to LA for
service.
Old November 3rd 13, 10:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 11/3/2013 3:56 PM, Bill Vanek wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 14:42:10 -0600, "T0m $herman"
> > wrote:
>
>> <http://www.teammcc.com/new_galleria.asp?sid=07352411X6K22K2013J8I56I37JPM Q1932R0&veh=327803&pov=3025016>

> Holy ****. There's a dealer like that in Villa Park? We can't seem to
> support anything close to that in Las Vegas, where you can ride all
> year. One of the biggest reasons I didn't by the Triumph I was looking
> at is that I was afraid the only local dealer would close, and it did
> shortly after I was looking. I would have probably had to go to LA for
> service.

Well, there are 10 million people or so living within 50 miles of the
shop. For me, this is one of the two closest Triumph dealers - both are
about 9-hour round trips.

--
T0m $herm@n

Pontiac Aztec - occasional check engine light and total drop on temp guage techman41973 Technology 2 March 11th 11 02:40 AM
Told ya.... Henry[_7_] Driving 48 July 22nd 10 07:58 PM
Well I have told you where to see my car Mike West VW air cooled 1 February 3rd 08 07:34 PM
I told you so. [email protected] Chrysler 4 May 24th 07 10:47 PM