Crankshaft Pulley Removal '92 4.0

Old October 31st 04, 08:44 PM
Ulysses

Default Crankshaft Pulley Removal '92 4.0

So, how do I remove the crankshaft pulley from my 4.0 '92? How do I keep
the pulley from turning while trying to remove the screw? Is the screw
standard thread (counterclockwise to remove)?

I modified a strap wrench to hold the pulley but I'm afraid of snapping off
the bolt at this point.

Hayne's gives directions on how to remove the fan clutch, part numbers for
special tools, and even which direction to turn the nut. But for the
crankshaft pulley it only says "remove the crankshaft pulley."

Thanks.

Old November 1st 04, 04:29 AM
Captian Coleman

The shadetree mechanic method for removing your crankshaft pully is placing
your socket wrench handle against the ground (usually on the front side of
the car) and clicking the starter with the ignition and fuel systems
disconnected. I've used this method on a Mazda Protege. I HAVE NOT done
this on my Explorer, but maybe someone else has and will comment.

Old November 1st 04, 06:59 AM
Jim Warman

Works quite well for anything.... the crank always turns in a direction that
will tighten the bolt.

Word to the wise..... this method can make it so you can't count to ten any
more or it can make a green puddle in your driveway..... watch what your
doing very closely...

Old November 1st 04, 07:02 PM
Ulysses

Thanks Captian (Captain?)

I verified that it will indeed turn in the correct direction to unscrew it
with this technique. I think, however, that I will save this method for my
last resort.

Old November 1st 04, 10:00 PM
Gerald Riggs

I have done this on my 95 taurus SHO. Very scary the first time. Just be
real real sure things turn the "correct" direction, use a 6 point socket and
make sure the breaker bar is resting where it can not harm anything else and
just tap the starter motor. I recommeng using a remote starter switch so
there is NO chance of the thing firing off. You will be amazed-it works!
r/Jerry

Old November 1st 04, 10:37 PM
Ulysses

Sounds like it ought to do the trick all right but I have a few
reservations. I need, for one thing, to use a short extension on the socket
that I currently have. I think it would probably slip sideways and round
off the bolt head. So before I try it I think I'd better get a deep 6 point
socket like you said.

Meanwhile I'm going to remove the torque converter access plate and see if I
can hold the flywheel in place somehow while unscrewing the pulley bolt.

Someone else suggested using an impact wrench but I'm having a little
trouble imagining getting the wrench and a hammer in that small space.
Maybe he meant some kind of air wrench.

Old November 2nd 04, 11:11 PM
Ulysses

For posterity, here's what I did.

I removed the starter motor and wedged a combo end wrench between the
flywheel and the case with the open end against the flywheel and a
screwdriver holding the wrench in place through the box end.

This held the flywheel well enough to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt.
Now it's a simple matter to replace the flywheel. ;-)

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. If this hadn't worked I would
have tried the "crank the starter lose your fingers and leave a green puddle
on the floor" method.

ref: explorer remove crankshaft pulley
crankshaft pulley removal explorer

Old November 3rd 04, 02:11 PM
Happy Traveler

If you have a compressor (and enough room in front of the pulley), an impact
wrench works like a charm.

Old November 3rd 04, 05:13 PM
Ulysses

Thanks. I think I'll see about getting one of those.

Old November 4th 04, 04:08 AM
Jim Warman

If you take the plunge on a compressor and air tools..... while "oil-less"
compressors are generally less expensive than oiled types, the oil-less
don't seem to last as long (my experience) and the noise is enough to wake
the dead...