Honda Crankshaft pulley falls off

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 25th 05, 06:24 PM
jjeansonne

Default Honda Crankshaft pulley falls off

I just replaced the crabkshaft pulley on my 1999 Accord for the SECOND time
after it fell off while driving the car. The first time it fell off at 65K
miles. I bought the car new, did all the required maintenance myself, and
had NEVER touched that assembly. I had to replace the pulley and the key
as it destroyed both. Lucky for me the crank appeard to be in OK shape.

I torqued the *@%$ out of it with a 1100 ft/lb 3/4" pnematic impact wrench
and thought I was "done".

I thought I was done with it, but, 20 months later (yesterday), it
happended again. This time I used super high stength locktite and
replaced the bolt as well. However, I am nervous something else is wrong
and that this will keep happening. I had some questions I was hoping
someone could help me with:

* Has anybody ever heard of this problem?

* Does anyone know how far the snout of the crankshaft is supposed to be
recessed relative to the solder on the crankshaft pulley that the bolt
sits on (when fully seated)? I have an 1/8 gap there when the pulley is
fully seated and am wondering if this is the problem.

* Is the crankshaft supposed to be splined? There are splines in the
pulley and I am wondering if there are supposed to be mating splines in
the crankshaft that were stripped off by the loose pulley.

Any advice is appreciated.

-Jeff