Intermittent start/run

Old December 3rd 04, 06:51 PM
a_r_hearn

Default Intermittent start/run

Hi
I recently purchased an S reg Alfa Romeo GTV It s been running fine but
yesterday I returned from shopping to find that the car would not start
- it made no attempt to fire. I decided to call the RAC and after 40mins
they arrived and - yes- it started straight away - no problem. The RAC
guy mentioned that it might have been a keycode problem and that I
should carry some spare keys in case one key is not recognised (This
comment seemed to answer why I had so many keys). He also mentioned I
should not carry keys from other cars in case they corrupt the key
detection.

That evening I went out and on my return the car stopped while I was
driving along the road - very dodgy. Same symptons - no attempt to fire,
and after about 40mins waiting I tried - and yes it started. Does anyone
have experience of this type of problem? I did notice that when it
didn't work the injector light seemed to stay on and I have had the
keycode light stay on with the engine running ok. This has made me
suspect the immobiliser system.

Today I tried an experiment - I am using just the Brown key no metal or
anything attached. I switch on and wait until the keycode & injector
lights go out and then start the car. So far it's started and run OK but
I'm still concerned that ther is an intermittent problem waiting to
happen..

I'd appreciate any informatrion on this type of problem

Cheers
Tony Hearn

--
Have a Merry Christmas & a Good New Year
Cheers - Tony Hearn

Old December 3rd 04, 09:13 PM
Malcolm Osborne

I don't know if its exactly the same condition - sounds similar, my 156
wouldn't restart when hot. I also had slow speed stalls, e.g. when parking.

It was fixed by replacing the `rpm sensor' at the back of the engine.

Malcolm Osborne
Benoni, South Africa

Old December 4th 04, 12:52 AM
mike

Hi
Had a similar problem with my 156. the sensor that picks up the
transponder signal, situated in the steering column shroud the had come
away from its mounting near the ignition switch., Since I put it back into
position no trouble at all.

Cozy 156 T Spark 1999 T Plate.

"a_r_hearn" > wrote in message
> Hi
> I recently purchased an S reg Alfa Romeo GTV It s been running fine but
> yesterday I returned from shopping to find that the car would not start
> - it made no attempt to fire. I decided to call the RAC and after 40mins
> they arrived and - yes- it started straight away - no problem. The RAC
> guy mentioned that it might have been a keycode problem and that I
> should carry some spare keys in case one key is not recognised (This
> comment seemed to answer why I had so many keys). He also mentioned I
> should not carry keys from other cars in case they corrupt the key
> detection.
>
> That evening I went out and on my return the car stopped while I was
> driving along the road - very dodgy. Same symptons - no attempt to fire,
> and after about 40mins waiting I tried - and yes it started. Does anyone
> have experience of this type of problem? I did notice that when it
> didn't work the injector light seemed to stay on and I have had the
> keycode light stay on with the engine running ok. This has made me
> suspect the immobiliser system.
>
> Today I tried an experiment - I am using just the Brown key no metal or
> anything attached. I switch on and wait until the keycode & injector
> lights go out and then start the car. So far it's started and run OK but
> I'm still concerned that ther is an intermittent problem waiting to
> happen..
>
> I'd appreciate any informatrion on this type of problem
>
> Cheers
> Tony Hearn
>

> --
> Have a Merry Christmas & a Good New Year
> Cheers - Tony Hearn

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

---

Old December 6th 04, 08:59 PM
a_r_hearn

Hi Malcolm
Just had the result of diagnosis - guess what - RPM Sensor problem.
Garage also suggested that it was temperature sensistive hence it worked
OK again after about 40mins. Thanks for your comments.