CobraJet's vs GT40Patrick's

Old March 3rd 05, 04:15 AM

Default CobraJet's vs GT40Patrick's

The little GT40 head comparision thread got me thinking. As much as CJ
hates my guts and I can't stand his stuck in the past attitude,
automotively, I think we're quite similar. So I started thinking about
what we have in common. I don't have a lot of time tonight to post, so
I'm only throwing out a few ideas.
But first, here's what we won't discuss in this thread: 12-second
muscle cars and how classics compare to late models. With that said,
let's find similiarities.

Over the years here are some things I think we both like or prefer:

Station wagons
Sleepers
Large displacement
Normally aspirated
Strippers
Tweaked, but factory appearing
Straight-line cars

CJ, so far so good? (Agree damn it... just say yes and nod your head.
Let's get out of the blocks and lay down the first 60-feet without
wheel-hopping or spining the tires.)

Can you think of anything else we disagree about? And what else do you
think we agree on?

Patrick
'93 Cobra

Old March 3rd 05, 06:31 AM
CobraJet

In article .com>,
> wrote:

> The little GT40 head comparision thread got me thinking. As much as CJ
> hates my guts and I can't stand his stuck in the past attitude,
> automotively, I think we're quite similar. So I started thinking about
> what we have in common. I don't have a lot of time tonight to post, so
> I'm only throwing out a few ideas.
> But first, here's what we won't discuss in this thread: 12-second
> muscle cars and how classics compare to late models. With that said,
> let's find similiarities.
>
> Over the years here are some things I think we both like or prefer:
>
> Station wagons
> Sleepers
> Large displacement
> Normally aspirated
> Strippers
> Tweaked, but factory appearing
> Straight-line cars
>
> CJ, so far so good? (Agree damn it... just say yes and nod your head.
> Let's get out of the blocks and lay down the first 60-feet without
> wheel-hopping or spining the tires.)
>
> Can you think of anything else we disagree about? And what else do you
> think we agree on?

Did you see the news story John URL'd comparing mechanics to
technicians? This is the essential difference between you and me. I'm a
gearhead, you belong to the plug-and-play group. The attitude *you*
call "stuck in the past", is referred to as "nostalgia" by the vast
majority of car-minded 40+ year-olds. The fact that you name C&D as
your fave shows me you would never consider an all-out buildup of
anything yourself.

So it really goes back to the apples and oranges thing. You are
trying to find a common ground to ease things a bit; I say it really
doesn't matter. Why? Because I *own* several of every vehicle you have
in that list above, and you own a '93 Cobra. I get greasy; you pay lip
service. Apples and oranges.

Next week, if it doesn't rain anymore, I'll post pics of my Ranger's
engine to show you what I enjoy farting around with.

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old March 3rd 05, 01:03 PM
John

"CobraJet" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> > wrote:
>
>> The little GT40 head comparision thread got me thinking. As much as CJ
>> hates my guts and I can't stand his stuck in the past attitude,
>> automotively, I think we're quite similar. So I started thinking about
>> what we have in common. I don't have a lot of time tonight to post, so
>> I'm only throwing out a few ideas.
>> But first, here's what we won't discuss in this thread: 12-second
>> muscle cars and how classics compare to late models. With that said,
>> let's find similiarities.
>>
>> Over the years here are some things I think we both like or prefer:
>>
>> Station wagons
>> Sleepers
>> Large displacement
>> Normally aspirated
>> Strippers
>> Tweaked, but factory appearing
>> Straight-line cars
>>
>> CJ, so far so good? (Agree damn it... just say yes and nod your head.
>> Let's get out of the blocks and lay down the first 60-feet without
>> wheel-hopping or spining the tires.)
>>
>> Can you think of anything else we disagree about? And what else do you
>> think we agree on?

> Did you see the news story John URL'd comparing mechanics to
> technicians? This is the essential difference between you and me. I'm a
> gearhead, you belong to the plug-and-play group. The attitude *you*
> call "stuck in the past", is referred to as "nostalgia" by the vast
> majority of car-minded 40+ year-olds. The fact that you name C&D as
> your fave shows me you would never consider an all-out buildup of
> anything yourself.
>
> So it really goes back to the apples and oranges thing. You are
> trying to find a common ground to ease things a bit; I say it really
> doesn't matter. Why? Because I *own* several of every vehicle you have
> in that list above, and you own a '93 Cobra. I get greasy; you pay lip
> service. Apples and oranges.
>
> Next week, if it doesn't rain anymore, I'll post pics of my Ranger's
> engine to show you what I enjoy farting around with.

If I may explain the diff. using a cliche:

CJ - Been there, done it several times, got the t-shirts, and has modified
the t-shirts to fit better.

Patrick - Got a picture of one of CJ's t-shirts.

--
John
ThunderSnake #59

Old March 4th 05, 04:44 AM

CobraJet wrote:

> > The little GT40 head comparision thread got me thinking. As much
> > as CJ hates my guts and I can't stand his stuck in the past
> > attitude, automotively, I think we're quite similar. So I started
> > thinking about what we have in common. I don't have a lot of time
> > tonight to post, so I'm only throwing out a few ideas.
> > But first, here's what we won't discuss in this thread: 12-second
> > muscle cars and how classics compare to late models. With that
> > said, let's find similiarities.

> > Over the years here are some things I think we both like or prefer:

> > Station wagons
> > Sleepers
> > Large displacement
> > Normally aspirated
> > Strippers
> > Tweaked, but factory appearing
> > Straight-line cars

> > CJ, so far so good? (Agree damn it... just say yes and nod your
> > head. Let's get out of the blocks and lay down the first 60-feet
> > without wheel-hopping or spining the tires.)

> > Can you think of anything else we disagree about? And what else do
> > you think we agree on?

> Did you see the news story John URL'd comparing mechanics to
> technicians?

No, I missed that.

> This is the essential difference between you and me. I'm gearhead,
> you belong to the plug-and-play group. The attitude *you* call "stuck
> in the past", is referred to as "nostalgia" by the vast majority of
> car-minded 40+ year-olds.

The vast majority visit nostalgia, they don't live there.

> The fact that you name C&D as your fave shows me you would never
> consider an all-out buildup of anything yourself.

I've noticed you stereotype a lot. You shouldn't do that. Case in
point, my neighbor's 19 year-old kid. He owns a slightly lowered
Integra. A first glance you'd call him a ricer. But when you go check
out his ride you'll find he pulled the motor, replaced it, installed a
new clutch, and then hooked up a custom turbo system, and he did it
himself. Results? He now hangs with lightly modded Terminator Cobras.
Okay, then you'd think he likes nothing but Asian cars. Wrong again.
His buddy owns an '04 Cobra, and a Saturday afternoon about two weeks
ago they replaced his factory blower with a ported one, in his
driveway. Not too shabby for a generation you *often* stereotype. As
for myself, after I get my two kids through college my plan is to build
a T-bucket roadster.

> So it really goes back to the apples and oranges thing. You are
> trying to find a common ground to ease things a bit; I say it really
> doesn't matter. Why?

Apparently I don't take things as serious as you. I can be throwing
punches like crazy but when the bell rings that's it. Fight's over. I
can give the opponent a nod, a little hug, and a "good fight", and then
I press. You *seem* to hold a grudge.

> Because I *own* several of every vehicle you have in that list above,
> and you own a '93 Cobra. I get greasy; you pay lip service. Apples
> and oranges.

Lately you seem to be really zeroing in on my Cobra. Downing it every
chance you get. What... hoping I'll sell it? Sorry, no dice, pal.

> Next week, if it doesn't rain anymore, I'll post pics of my
> Ranger's engine to show you what I enjoy farting around with.

That's cool. But what I'd rather see are pics of the 20+ classics you
have. And why spend time on the pickup when you could be playing with
the motors in the cars??? C'mon, get us some time slips, Mr. Gearhead!

Patrick
'93 Cobra

Old March 4th 05, 04:57 AM

John wrote:

> If I may explain the diff. using a cliche:

> CJ - Been there, done it several times, got the t-shirts, and has
> modified the t-shirts to fit better.

That's yet to be determined.

> Patrick - Got a picture of one of CJ's t-shirts.

And my t-shirts say, has completed 5Ks, 10Ks and half marathons. Wanna
race?

Patrick
'93 Cobra

Old March 4th 05, 06:30 AM

John wrote:

> If I may explain the diff. using a cliche:
>
> CJ - Been there, done it several times, got the t-shirts, and has

modified
> the t-shirts to fit better.
>
> Patrick - Got a picture of one of CJ's t-shirts.

I don't know where you newer Thundersnakes are getting your info, but
you've pretty much got that backwards.

180 Out

Old March 4th 05, 05:45 PM
CobraJet

In article .com>,
> wrote:

> John wrote:
>
> > If I may explain the diff. using a cliche:
> >
> > CJ - Been there, done it several times, got the t-shirts, and has

> modified
> > the t-shirts to fit better.
> >
> > Patrick - Got a picture of one of CJ's t-shirts.

> I don't know where you newer Thundersnakes are getting your info, but
> you've pretty much got that backwards.
>
> 180 Out

Are you trying to convince *anyone* that Patrick knows more about
this stuff than I do?

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old March 4th 05, 07:26 PM

CobraJet wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > John wrote:
> >
> > > If I may explain the diff. using a cliche:
> > >
> > > CJ - Been there, done it several times, got the t-shirts, and has

> > modified
> > > the t-shirts to fit better.
> > >
> > > Patrick - Got a picture of one of CJ's t-shirts.

> > I don't know where you newer Thundersnakes are getting your info,

but
> > you've pretty much got that backwards.
> >
> > 180 Out
> >

> Are you trying to convince *anyone* that Patrick knows more about
> this stuff than I do?

No, what I wrote is that Patrick has a better claim to "been there done
that" than you do. Emphasis on the "doing," not the "knowing." I
don't know where the newbies are getting their info, but it doesn't
match what I've been reading in these groups the past four years.

180 Out

Old March 4th 05, 10:06 PM
CobraJet

In article .com>,
> wrote:

> CobraJet wrote:
>
> > wrote:

> > > modified

> > > I don't know where you newer Thundersnakes are getting your info,

> but
> > > you've pretty much got that backwards.
> > >
> > > 180 Out
> > >

> > Are you trying to convince *anyone* that Patrick knows more about
> > this stuff than I do?

> No, what I wrote is that Patrick has a better claim to "been there done
> that" than you do. Emphasis on the "doing," not the "knowing." I
> don't know where the newbies are getting their info, but it doesn't
> match what I've been reading in these groups the past four years.
>
> 180 Out

OK, fair enough. Perhaps you'd like to do the following, as long as
you're stuck in a dead-end data-entry cubicle job after failing
miserably as a lawyer:

1) Show us all the engines, drivetrains, and automotive electronics
Patrick has worked on since he was born. Plug and oil changes don't
count.

2) Show us all the engines, drivetrains, and automotive electronics
that I have worked on since born. Also, explain how what you've seen in
the last four years tells you about my life experiences offline.
Alternately, you can give us the name of the crystal ball maker that
you and Patrick buy from.

3) Google up the thousands of RAMFM posts I've had since '98,
extract the flame-based content, and figure out who, besides Bill S.,
has flung more classic tech into this group than I.

4) Consult your crystal ball and see why I don't care.

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old March 4th 05, 11:40 PM
Merc

Have you and one80out had a falling out CobraJet?

Merc
Thundersnake#16
69 machclone 351W that wants to be a 427W soooooo bad.