93 SL1 - Purge canister solenoid?

Old August 5th 04, 09:48 AM
Iceman35

Default 93 SL1 - Purge canister solenoid?

Service light comes on intermittantly - generally only after the car has
got up to temp, and usually only when I slow down or come to a stop.
Scaned the PCM - codes 26, 32 came up.
I replaced the EGR solenoid and the PCV valve (EGR valve was done less
than 6 mo ago). Cleared the codes.....and guess what the service light
still flashes same as before.
This time its a straight code 26.
Anyone have any ideas? Please help
Some say that its the canister purge solenoid that probably the cause - I
have no idea where it is - how do I find it?
Is it as easy to do as the EGR solenoid?

Thanks,
Ian

Old August 5th 04, 07:57 PM
Mephistopheles Jones

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 04:48:41 -0400, Iceman35 wrote:

>[...]
> Some say that its the canister purge solenoid that probably the cause -
> I have no idea where it is - how do I find it? Is it as easy to do as
> the EGR solenoid?

Unfortunately no. The EGR valve and solenoid are in plain sight, and
trivial to change. The Purge Canister Solenoid is hard to get to. I had
to use a mirror to even see it. If you have small hands and your arm is
made of rubber, then you can get to it fairly easily. Otherwise, you have
to remove something (the starter?). Anyway, if you look just behind and
left of the EGR valve, then stick your had straight down and then to the
left behind the engine, you can grab it. Tell us if you get it done,
because I have a new canister solenoid that I've yet to install because
it's too damn hard, so any encouraging word will help me. Since the part
is so cheap, you might as well replace it.

Meph
Old August 11th 04, 04:06 PM
D. Gignac

Ihad same problem, it was egr selonoid. very easy to replace, it is nears
the throtle body !
lkaboutautos.com...

Old August 16th 04, 06:50 PM
Tim Shoppa

"Iceman35" > wrote in message alkaboutautos.com>...
> OK I've done it!
> I was a bit of a bitch - I went at it from the right side. I had to take
> off the intake bracket, and pull off the fuel Hard lines (hence the EGR
> valve) to get enough speace for my hand to fit. Well with some liquid
> wrench, a 10mm rachet, a flashlight and a lot of cursing its off.

On my wife's 92 SL1 I got to it from underneath. I had to use a mirror
to see it at all, and after finding it it wasn't too bad to replace it.

Tim.