1984 Laser: Manual Transmission Shifting Problems Cold

Old December 20th 04, 02:44 AM
Jonathan Grobe

Default 1984 Laser: Manual Transmission Shifting Problems Cold

I have a 1984 Chrysler Laser with manual transmission.
I have shifting problems when it is cold (significantly below
freezing) but not normally.

The shift lever will go forward and back but not left
to right (in the location it normally moves left and
right).

Do I have ice somewhere???? Where? What is the
explanation? Solution?

Thank you.

--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:

Old December 20th 04, 02:58 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:44:08 +0000 (UTC), Jonathan Grobe
> wrote:

>I have a 1984 Chrysler Laser with manual transmission.
>I have shifting problems when it is cold (significantly below
>freezing) but not normally.
>
>The shift lever will go forward and back but not left
>to right (in the location it normally moves left and
>right).
>
>Do I have ice somewhere???? Where? What is the
>explanation? Solution?

The explanation is the viscosity of your transmission oil becomes that
of cold molasses at these temperatures, and you can get it into gear
when cold if you are patient. Once warmed up, it will work as normal.

If you don't want this problem, put some kind of heater under your
transmission. See your dealer or auto parts store.

Lg

Old December 20th 04, 04:59 AM
shiden_kai

Lawrence Glickman wrote:

> The explanation is the viscosity of your transmission oil becomes that
> of cold molasses at these temperatures, and you can get it into gear
> when cold if you are patient. Once warmed up, it will work as normal.

Did you actually read his post, Lawrence?

Ian

Old December 20th 04, 11:12 AM
Bill Putney

shiden_kai wrote:
> Lawrence Glickman wrote:
>

>>The explanation is the viscosity of your transmission oil becomes that
>>of cold molasses at these temperatures, and you can get it into gear
>>when cold if you are patient. Once warmed up, it will work as normal.

> Did you actually read his post, Lawrence?
>
> Ian

Careful Ian! He'll threaten you then he'll Plonk you!!!! 8^)

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old December 21st 04, 04:06 AM
Dave Gower

"Jonathan Grobe" > wrote in message
>I have a 1984 Chrysler Laser with manual transmission.
> I have shifting problems when it is cold (significantly below
> freezing) but not normally.
>
> The shift lever will go forward and back but not left
> to right (in the location it normally moves left and
> right).

I would look for a build-up of grease on the transmission shift levers,
which will trap dirt which in turn will absorb water which will freeze.
Clean everything and lubricate with light oil. You can see these under the
hood.

I had one of those beasts for a while in the early 1990s, and if I recall
correctly the end of the cables had rubber boots over them, which could
easily trap dirt.

Old December 21st 04, 05:37 AM
Comboverfish

Jonathan Grobe wrote:
> I have a 1984 Chrysler Laser with manual transmission.>>>>

The advice you received regarding shift cable binding is worth checking
out. (Especially the cable that selects the different shift forks left
to right)

An extra thought: I have overhauled 5 or 10 of the K car transaxles (I
think New Process 535s) and during the late 80's it seems like Chrysler
retroactively began specifying ATF for trans lube verses 90 weight. I
have always used ATF with no problem. It gets down near 0 degrees F.
here for a couple weeks a year, but shifting my and my customer's
Chryslers was no problem due to the thinner oil. No durability
problems to note either.

I got a customer in once with a 89 Omni that had a wasted mainshaft and
diff bearings. It had recently been to a 'Trans' shop who used 90
weight during an overhaul. The fix was to do it all over again with
new parts and ofcourse use ATF.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old December 21st 04, 06:03 AM
Nate Nagel

Comboverfish wrote:

> Jonathan Grobe wrote:
>
>>I have a 1984 Chrysler Laser with manual transmission.>>>>

> The advice you received regarding shift cable binding is worth checking
> out. (Especially the cable that selects the different shift forks left
> to right)
>
> An extra thought: I have overhauled 5 or 10 of the K car transaxles (I
> think New Process 535s) and during the late 80's it seems like Chrysler
> retroactively began specifying ATF for trans lube verses 90 weight. I
> have always used ATF with no problem. It gets down near 0 degrees F.
> here for a couple weeks a year, but shifting my and my customer's
> Chryslers was no problem due to the thinner oil. No durability
> problems to note either.
>
> I got a customer in once with a 89 Omni that had a wasted mainshaft and
> diff bearings. It had recently been to a 'Trans' shop who used 90
> weight during an overhaul. The fix was to do it all over again with
> new parts and ofcourse use ATF.
>
> Toyota MDT in MO

Instead of ATF how about the lightest weight gear oil that Redline
sells? seems like it might be the best of both worlds. Or, of course,
synthetic ATF would probably work just as well. The synthetic is
wonderful in cold weather.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old December 21st 04, 07:01 AM
Comboverfish

Do whatever you want, but ATF works and is <$1.50 a quart. I fix daily
drivers under a budget restraint, not (usually) for enthusiasts who
want the latest greatest oil in their trans case! : )

Toyota MDT in MO

Old December 27th 04, 04:25 AM
John_F

Most likely your problem is one shift cable has grease that has become
stickey and dirty. There are two cables one for front and back and
the other for side to side. Replace or clean the cable.