'63 bug - stock tire question

Old December 13th 04, 06:18 PM
Dane Tyler

Default '63 bug - stock tire question

Hi folks,

I know this has been discussed at length before, but I just want to be
sure before I put the tires on my '63, with the original wheels.

Is it best to go with:

1) Radials with tubes,
2) Radials without tubes,
3) Bias-belted without tubes.

What are the drawbacks of using tubes with radials? What are the
drawbacks (or positives) of using bias-belted tires? The 61-65 Bentley
basically discourages the use of radials entirely...

'63 wheels are suitable for tubeless bias tires, or radials with tubes,
but I have seen many people use radials w/out tubes on their early '60s
cars. The 1961-65 Bentley Manual even says to use tubes with radials,
but I was wondering how many were out there like this?
Thanks,

Dane
'69 Bug
'63 Bug

Old December 13th 04, 06:26 PM
Howard Rose

On 13 Dec 2004 10:18:21 -0800, "Dane Tyler" > wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I know this has been discussed at length before, but I just want to be
>sure before I put the tires on my '63, with the original wheels.
>
>Is it best to go with:
>
>1) Radials with tubes,
>2) Radials without tubes,
>3) Bias-belted without tubes.
>
>What are the drawbacks of using tubes with radials? What are the
>drawbacks (or positives) of using bias-belted tires? The 61-65 Bentley
>basically discourages the use of radials entirely...
>
>'63 wheels are suitable for tubeless bias tires, or radials with tubes,
>but I have seen many people use radials w/out tubes on their early '60s
>cars. The 1961-65 Bentley Manual even says to use tubes with radials,
>but I was wondering how many were out there like this?
>Thanks,

I have 165x15 radials on my '66 and I hate them. They look way to
fat, I just love the original narrow look of the original crossplies.
I keep promising that I will switch back to crossplies as soon as I
wear out these radials, but they are too damn hard wearing!! he he

Can't remember if they had tubes in them, but I don't think they did.

If you want radial tyres, then try and get 155x15 instead. If you
don't drive like a maniac, then you can't beat crossplies on a stock
car - they're not as nasty and dangerous as people make them out to
be.

Old December 14th 04, 02:17 AM
Red Bug

In article .com>,
"Dane Tyler" > wrote:

> I have seen many people use radials w/out tubes on their early '60s
> cars.

I have radials without tubes on my '61 and they work just fine.

--
___
|___| '61 - VW
Old December 14th 04, 05:27 AM
Ben Boyle

I believe the swing axle cars all had 155-15. The Mexican Beetle I drove in 2003 in Mexico had 155-15 tires on it too.

Old December 14th 04, 05:55 PM
Dane Tyler

OEM bias size was 5.60 x 15, although 6.00 x 15 is common replacement.

For radials, 155R15 was the equivalent size and recommended
replacement, although 165R15 is used predominantly today.

I'm leaning towards getting the bias tires for my car ('63), but
something tells me that may not be totally pleased with them. There's a
reason that most every new car for the past 30 years has had radial
tires...

Oh well, we shall see.

Dane Tyler
'69 Bug
'63 sunroof Bug

Old December 14th 04, 06:04 PM
Dane Tyler

Old December 14th 04, 07:16 PM
Red Bug

In article . com>,
"Dane Tyler" > wrote:

> OEM bias size was 5.60 x 15, although 6.00 x 15 is common replacement.

That size sounds familiar! I have an old Firestone bias ply 5.60 x 15 as
the spare as anything bigger wouldn't fit in the OEM location.

--
___
Old December 14th 04, 11:05 PM
Howard Rose

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 04:04:35 GMT, John Crichton >
wrote:

>I think I used to know what the tire size that originally shipped on a
>'64/'65 Beetle but that info has apparently been erased.

5.60x15 crossply. Euro-spec cars had Michelin from 1965, but I
believe US-spec cars had different ones?

Unfortunately Michelin no longer make a 5.60x15 crossply tyre, but
Camacs look almost identical.

--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
Old December 14th 04, 11:07 PM
Howard Rose

On 14 Dec 2004 10:04:22 -0800, "Dane Tyler" > wrote:

>I'm leaning towards getting the bias tires for my car ('63), but
>something tells me that may not be totally pleased with them. There's a
>reason that most every new car for the past 30 years has had radial
>tires...

Modern cars are also more reliable, comfortable, faster, better MPG,
have working heaters... but I don't want one ;-)