Body off - body support?

Old July 18th 05, 10:08 PM
tricky

you could build a jig 'inside' the car, off the tunel. jack the body up
from inside. roll the whole car out when you need space.

Rich

Old July 18th 05, 10:10 PM
tricky

you could make some saw horses like on the bugme vids but lower, and on
wheels so you could roll the body around.

Rich

Old July 18th 05, 11:03 PM
Remco

tricky wrote:
> you could make some saw horses like on the bugme vids but lower, and on
> wheels so you could roll the body around.

Yap -- that's basically what it is but taller and the cross member
moves up and down. I took some pictures last Friday. Now that I am
home, here they are.
(Since you're having PC problems, I hope you can download them)

http://www.weidema.com/remco/pix/bug...y%20lift01.JPG
http://www.weidema.com/remco/pix/bug...y%20lift02.JPG
http://www.weidema.com/remco/pix/bug...y%20lift03.JPG

The top cross member is static - there for stability. The bottom cross
member moves. It normally slides under the car's body. I don't intend
to take the doors or the glass out so it will be heavyer than John's.

I made a couple of modifications since then: When it reaches the right
height, the moveable member is bolted in. Also added another stiffner
so there's no way it can rack sideways while lifting - unlikely to
happen, but you never know..
It has been nailed together with 3.5" 16d framing nails but now it has
3/8 bolts holding it together too. Beefed up the threaded rod and also
made it longer (had miscalculated the length). Also made it so the
moveable member can't move sideways anymore. Put removeable wheels on
it and may change that yet again so the wheels just flip out of the way
with hinges.
Also thickness planed the movable member so it can't bind up when it
swells (anal, huh?).

Will probably make the front tomorrow and will give it the official try
over the next couple of days.

I know: It is over analyzed -- it is a disease in my case and can't
help it. Could have done with a 2x4 on some plastic buckets, but
where's the fun in that, right
It may make a really nice adjustable picknic bench seating 100 when it
has served its bug purpose. This picnic table you can also park cars on

Remco

Old July 19th 05, 04:55 AM
Grahame Rumballe

That will work! Enclose the vertical sides for more cross stability of the
moving cross member.
May need better support (large washers) under the threaded bar.
I lift mine with an air hoist using slings through the window openings.
Grahame
from Aus

oups.com...

Old July 19th 05, 08:32 AM
tricky

Looks good !

Make sure you have a way to stop the treaded rod completely unthreading
and falling off ! maybe some stops under the bottom cross member for
'min' hight .

Rich

Old July 19th 05, 01:23 PM
remco

Thanks, Grahame and Rich.

I like both your ideas. Enclosing it is a really good idea...
The rod now has the nut on the top welded on. The bottom nut (can't see it)
has been welded to a plate and the plate is now lagged to the cross member.
The bottom of the rod has two nuts jambed with thread locker to make sure it
doesn't walk off.

"Remco" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]

> I know: It is over analyzed -- it is a disease in my case and can't
> help it. Could have done with a 2x4 on some plastic buckets, but
> where's the fun in that, right
> It may make a really nice adjustable picknic bench seating 100 when it
> has served its bug purpose. This picnic table you can also park cars on
>

> Remco
>

> > Rich
> >
> > Remco wrote:

> > > Hey Rich
> > >
> > > Yeah, I could see how that would work really well.
> > >
> > > I considered hoisting the thing up in my garage, except I didn't want
> > > to tie my garage up like that because it is used for woodworking as
> > > well. Since I have no idea how long this might take me, it had to be
> > > move-able as well (forgot to mention that in my first post).
> > >
> > > My stand has removable casters so I can roll it out of the way - Most

Research Qs on my 91 16V AT valve body....LONG and semi-Technical One out of many daves VW water cooled 5 May 3rd 05 04:31 AM
Can a type 2 body be removed from the frame for body work? [email protected] VW air cooled 2 February 6th 05 01:49 AM
lookin 4 butch VW air cooled 12 December 17th 04 12:38 AM
Body Shop Adviice James Sutherland Dodge 12 October 25th 04 08:56 PM