Audi questions from a perspective buyer

Old March 10th 05, 10:08 PM
K. Daver

Default Audi questions from a perspective buyer

Hey everyone..

I test drove an Audi 3.0 the other day and absolutely love it. I'm
looking to get a used (certified) Audi soon and had some questions that
I hope can be answered. Of course, the dealers always talk up their car
-- they should, that's their job. I, of course, want honest answers and
want to make sure I get a decent car.

I was reading consumer reports and they didn't really speak highly of
the Audi. They rated the 2002 as having a lot of engine problems, while
the rest of the car did fairly well. It didn't do so well in the
electrical system, either. It didn't mention anything on the 2003 or
newer cars, but still rated the Audi as a "stay away". I was pretty
surprised at this as I've read user reviews on several car web sites and
everyone seems pretty pleased, with the exception of maybe the gas mileage.

How reliable are these cars? A few local friends who are mechanics,
have told me not to expect them to fix it because they've never worked
on an Audi before, and have heard that they are pretty intricate (fancy
word for expensive in this case). Consumer reports is pretty reliable
and I am concerned that they didn't give it a more favorable rating.
Are there specific models or model years that are more prone for
failure/problems?

The warranty seems pretty decent through certified dealerships -- up to
100K miles or 6(?) years. To me that seemed pretty decent, actually.

I test drove the 1.8 and didn't feel that that the car was very smooth.
It felt as though it was pulling. I drove the 3.0 and loved it. I
also see the 2.8 on the road, but don't understand the differences
between the 2.8 and 3.0. Why the need for both?

Lastly, I do like the car, but it will be the first time I've bought a
"luxury" car, so obviously I'm concerned about the expense of fixing it
should something go wrong. It's my understanding that parts are pretty
much OEM only which does rack up the price quite a few bucks.

I also test drove the Volvo S60 and didn't like it at all. Once I drove
the Audi, I really liked it. Just looking for some feedback from fellow
owners.

If you reply privately please remove the "NOSPAM" from my email address.

Thanks in advance!
Old March 10th 05, 10:35 PM
Peter Bell

In message >
"K. Daver" > wrote:

> I test drove an Audi 3.0 the other day and absolutely love it.

Great! Are you thinking of the A4 or A6?

> I'm looking to get a used (certified) Audi soon and had some questions
> that I hope can be answered. Of course, the dealers always talk up
> their car -- they should, that's their job. I, of course, want honest
> answers and want to make sure I get a decent car.
>
> I was reading consumer reports and they didn't really speak highly of
> the Audi. They rated the 2002 as having a lot of engine problems, while
> the rest of the car did fairly well. It didn't do so well in the
> electrical system, either. It didn't mention anything on the 2003 or
> newer cars, but still rated the Audi as a "stay away". I was pretty
> surprised at this as I've read user reviews on several car web sites and
> everyone seems pretty pleased, with the exception of maybe the gas mileage.
>
> How reliable are these cars? A few local friends who are mechanics,
> have told me not to expect them to fix it because they've never worked
> on an Audi before, and have heard that they are pretty intricate (fancy
> word for expensive in this case). Consumer reports is pretty reliable
> and I am concerned that they didn't give it a more favorable rating.
> Are there specific models or model years that are more prone for
> failure/problems?

Well, I've owned a 1996 A4 2.6l, 2000 A6 2.7T and 2003 RS6. My wife has
a 2002 A2. The A4 had a fault which caused it to run roughly -
quickly fixed by replacing a fuel injector at no cost to me. None of
the other cars has had anything other than a very minor niggle. I've
been veru happy with all of these cars.

> The warranty seems pretty decent through certified dealerships -- up to
> 100K miles or 6(?) years. To me that seemed pretty decent, actually.
>
> I test drove the 1.8 and didn't feel that that the car was very smooth.
> It felt as though it was pulling. I drove the 3.0 and loved it.

I don't understand what you mean by 'pulling'. Be aware that you're
comparing a four cylinder against a V6 engine - you shouldn't expect
the four to be as smooth as the six.

> I also see the 2.8 on the road, but don't understand the differences
> between the 2.8 and 3.0. Why the need for both?

No need for both - the 3.0 is a later replacement for the 2.8.

> Lastly, I do like the car, but it will be the first time I've bought a
> "luxury" car, so obviously I'm concerned about the expense of fixing it
> should something go wrong. It's my understanding that parts are pretty
> much OEM only which does rack up the price quite a few bucks.

Don't expect repairs to be cheap, but regular maintenance shouldn't be
very different ot other makes.

> I also test drove the Volvo S60 and didn't like it at all. Once I drove
> the Audi, I really liked it.

Same here - before I bought the A4, I test drove a BMW 3-series and
wasn't impressed. My Volvo dealer couldn't even be bothered to find me
a car to test! On the strength of that, and my subsequent satisfaction,
I've stuck to Audis.

Old March 10th 05, 10:46 PM
Ronny

"K. Daver" > wrote in message
> Hey everyone..
>
> I test drove an Audi 3.0 the other day and absolutely love it. I'm
> looking to get a used (certified) Audi soon and had some questions that
> I hope can be answered. Of course, the dealers always talk up their car
> -- they should, that's their job. I, of course, want honest answers and
> want to make sure I get a decent car.

You will get a decent car, an Audi

> I was reading consumer reports and they didn't really speak highly of
> the Audi. They rated the 2002 as having a lot of engine problems, while
> the rest of the car did fairly well. It didn't do so well in the
> electrical system, either. It didn't mention anything on the 2003 or
> newer cars, but still rated the Audi as a "stay away". I was pretty
> surprised at this as I've read user reviews on several car web sites and
> everyone seems pretty pleased, with the exception of maybe the gas

mileage.

Most Audi owners are always Audi owners, I think that says enough about the
marque

> How reliable are these cars? A few local friends who are mechanics,
> have told me not to expect them to fix it because they've never worked
> on an Audi before, and have heard that they are pretty intricate (fancy
> word for expensive in this case). Consumer reports is pretty reliable
> and I am concerned that they didn't give it a more favorable rating.
> Are there specific models or model years that are more prone for
> failure/problems?

Depends how you drive it, drive it with care and consideration and expect it
to last as long as you keep it, 200k miles + is nothing for a 3.0

> The warranty seems pretty decent through certified dealerships -- up to
> 100K miles or 6(?) years. To me that seemed pretty decent, actually.

Yup, get the warranty and your laughing, Audi warrantys are very good

> I test drove the 1.8 and didn't feel that that the car was very smooth.
> It felt as though it was pulling. I drove the 3.0 and loved it. I
> also see the 2.8 on the road, but don't understand the differences
> between the 2.8 and 3.0. Why the need for both?

There isn't, the 3.0 came to replace the 2.8 which replaced the 2.6, the 2.8
is a 30 valver and is very smooth, the 2.6 is a 12valver but is still smooth
as hell

Audi A4 came in 2 Formats <now 3> the first was the B5 then came the B6 in
2002, B6 audi's have the 3.0 engine B5's have the 2.8/2.6

The 1.8T is a very high revving engine, but chipped can take a 3.0, although
the 3.0 is 10x smoother

> Lastly, I do like the car, but it will be the first time I've bought a
> "luxury" car, so obviously I'm concerned about the expense of fixing it
> should something go wrong. It's my understanding that parts are pretty
> much OEM only which does rack up the price quite a few bucks.

No different to any other car really, if your in America there is plenty of
dealers, and if you get a 100k warranty then you don't have to worry about
repairs, only wear and tear.

> I also test drove the Volvo S60 and didn't like it at all. Once I drove
> the Audi, I really liked it. Just looking for some feedback from fellow
> owners.

Best car I've ever owned/driven, I had a 2.6 quattro for 4 years and it had
racked up 160k miles, almost trouble free, my new Audi is the 1.8TQ which is
not as smooth but still nice, of course you have to get quattro or you will
regret not having it

Remember Silver is fastest

> If you reply privately please remove the "NOSPAM" from my email address.
>
> Thanks in advance!

No probs

Ronny

www.1337hosts.com

Old March 11th 05, 12:40 AM
JimV

Nice car, but if reliability is important to you, I'd look elsewhere.
I've had several Audis (a '01 A4 currently) and they have all had
significant problems. If you do go for it, make sure you have a good
warranty and a mechanic you trust.

Old March 11th 05, 01:17 AM
+ Rob +

"K. Daver" > wrote in message
> Hey everyone..
>
> I test drove an Audi 3.0 the other day and absolutely love it. I'm
> looking to get a used (certified) Audi soon and had some questions that
> I hope can be answered. Of course, the dealers always talk up their car
> -- they should, that's their job. I, of course, want honest answers and
> want to make sure I get a decent car.
>
> I was reading consumer reports and they didn't really speak highly of
> the Audi. They rated the 2002 as having a lot of engine problems, while
> the rest of the car did fairly well. It didn't do so well in the
> electrical system, either. It didn't mention anything on the 2003 or
> newer cars, but still rated the Audi as a "stay away". I was pretty
> surprised at this as I've read user reviews on several car web sites and
> everyone seems pretty pleased, with the exception of maybe the gas

mileage.

> How reliable are these cars? A few local friends who are mechanics,
> have told me not to expect them to fix it because they've never worked
> on an Audi before, and have heard that they are pretty intricate (fancy
> word for expensive in this case). Consumer reports is pretty reliable
> and I am concerned that they didn't give it a more favorable rating.
> Are there specific models or model years that are more prone for
> failure/problems?
>
> The warranty seems pretty decent through certified dealerships -- up to
> 100K miles or 6(?) years. To me that seemed pretty decent, actually.
>
> I test drove the 1.8 and didn't feel that that the car was very smooth.
> It felt as though it was pulling. I drove the 3.0 and loved it. I
> also see the 2.8 on the road, but don't understand the differences
> between the 2.8 and 3.0. Why the need for both?
>
> Lastly, I do like the car, but it will be the first time I've bought a
> "luxury" car, so obviously I'm concerned about the expense of fixing it
> should something go wrong. It's my understanding that parts are pretty
> much OEM only which does rack up the price quite a few bucks.
>
> I also test drove the Volvo S60 and didn't like it at all. Once I drove
> the Audi, I really liked it. Just looking for some feedback from fellow
> owners.
>
> If you reply privately please remove the "NOSPAM" from my email address.

Statistically speaking, Consumer Reports is correct about the 2002 A4.
However, the "engine problems" that they note are no longer an issue. In
fact, they weren't "problems" at all. It was one "problem" -- singular --
that was quite widespread. 2002 A4's (and various other VW/Audis) had a
faulty part in the ignition system (a "coil pack") that would often fail and
leave people stranded on the side of the road. However, the part was
recalled and all cars received a redesigned, trouble-free replacement part.
Thus, while the problem will always persist within Consumer Reports'
statistics, it no longer exists on the road.

Rob
2002 A4 3.0Q
2005 TT 3.2 DSG

Old March 11th 05, 01:26 AM
eBob.com

Well ... I just bought my third one two weeks ago. The '95 A6 Quatro wagon,
purchased used, had 140K+ miles on it when I traded it for a '98 A6 Quatro
Wagon, also purchased used, which had 148K miles on it when I sold it to buy
the 2003 A6 Quatro Avant (Audi newspeak for wagon) two weeks ago.

Sure, I've had problems. But none left me stranded. I think that today's
cars, especially the Japanese cars, have gotten so reliable that even cars
which are very reliable, on an absolute scale, can still be far down the
list.

I stop going to an Audi dealer for service as soon as the warranty expires.
My first attempt to find a reliable local mechanic failed. (Just because
they have a German name and even a German accent does not make them good
Audi mechanics!) But on my second try I got lucky. The guy doesn't seem to
take care of too many Audi's but he sure knows what he is doing. And when
he isn't sure he tells me to go to a dealer. I've only had to do that once
for a minor transmission leak.

By the way, my mechanic bought my '98, for his wife and kids. That says
something about his opinion of Audis.

My most serious complaint is lack of cup holders and cubby holes!

Good Luck, Bob

Old March 11th 05, 01:31 PM
K. Daver

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of the A4. When I drove the A4 1.8
it felt as though it was dragging something which I contribute to the
motor just being worked more than it did with the V6. When I test drove
the Volvo S60, it felt the same. Like I had to really "HIT" the gas to
get it to go, which I didn't find in the Audi A4 3.0..

I really like the car's sophistication and handling. I also liked the
tiptronic system (which I never knew existed in these or other cars
before I saw it in the Audi).

My only concern is the warranty. Although I'm trying to find one
certified, I was surprised at the amount of Audi's with only a few years
on them and 50-60K miles on them already. Obviously, I don't want an
extended warranty from a non-Audi dealer as I've heard nothing but bad
things about non-dealer extended warranties.

I've checked Ebay (dealer only listings) and found that they seem to be
holding their value well. I'm in the North East, so I definitely want
the all-wheel drive and cold weather package. Up here a loaded used
Audi is still running about $26k (and I don't know how much haggling
they'll do) with probably about 30k miles on it. On Ebay it's about
$20-22k...

I appreciate all your help!

Regards,
Marty
(remove nospam in my email address to reply privately)

Old March 11th 05, 01:32 PM
K. Daver

Rob,

That's great to hear. Although I trust the magazine, I just didn't
understand why 2003 + 2004 (they didn't rate 2005 yet) still had a stay
away flag, yet they listed no problems with these years. They only
listed the problems with the 2002.

Either way, I'm glad that they fixed the problem with that model and
it's not resurfaced in later years.

Thanks again!

Marty

Old March 11th 05, 01:36 PM
K. Daver

Bob,

Appreciate the help. What types of problems have you had? For me,
it'll be the most expensive car I've owned. Never been in a position to
have a new(er) car before, so obviously I want to do my homework before
I plunk down the money for it. Repairs, can be costly, so obviously I'm
very interested in their upkeep.

The dealer told me that I must put premium gas in it. Several people at
work drive them (and love them) but use regular gas. One person has a
99 and says he's put nothing but regular gas and it's never been an
issue. Can there be heavy repairs associated with non-premium gas?

I'm in the states and around here premium just spiked to about $2.20 vs
$1.95 for non-premium. No Audi Hybrids yet, right?

Old March 11th 05, 01:37 PM
K. Daver

Hi Jim!

Sorry to hear that... What problems have you had with the Audi's?

Thanks again!

Marty
(ps remove nospam in my email address to reply privately)

Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 December 18th 04 08:28 AM
2002 Audi S8 - A6 Questions LIW Audi 2 November 14th 04 05:38 PM
audi facts may be of interest news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 0 October 28th 04 01:35 PM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 July 27th 04 04:08 PM