Failed Califoria smog test.

Old January 24th 05, 07:34 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

As a teenager, you never won any street races, did you?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 24th 05, 09:36 PM
Jeff Strickland

But Bill, if one _needs_ high octane gas, they have a high performance
engine. They need the octane to boost performance in a motor that can
actually produce said performance.

High octane in a motor that does not need it is wasteful. Mostly, it wastes
money. Indeed, there is a strong argument that high octane gas might
actually boost the emissions because it hasn't been burned completely. I am
not sure I buy into that particular argument, but it's out there. The bottom
line, boosting octane is of little value when the motor does not demand the
higher octane.

Old January 25th 05, 12:26 AM
Lee Ayrton

Old January 25th 05, 12:45 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

We're not going to change each others minds. But, you should know
octane is not the only difference between premium and your cheap
regular.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 25th 05, 12:51 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That's the difference, it's a slower, more consistent, clean burn.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 25th 05, 03:25 AM
Jerry Bransford

From Bill's response to your below answer Jeff, it's apparent he is
still believing an Old Wive's Tale on what octane really does. From him
having owned a gas station, I would have thought he would have had a
good understanding of what octane does... apparently not.

Jerry

http://www.billhughes.com/

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old January 25th 05, 04:06 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir...line-faq/.html

Old January 26th 05, 01:30 AM
Derrick Hudson

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:24:11 -0500, Lee Ayrton wrote:

> would/should higher octane gas make any positive difference in emissions?

The higher the octane rating (octane is a unit of measurement, not a
physical material) the less volatile the gas is. One reason to use a
higher octane fuel is to reduce detonation ("knock") if your engine
isn't running right.

I would tend to agree with the hypothesis that it may increase the
emissions on an engine that was designed for a lower octane rating due
to the slower and cooler burn.

-D

--
What can I do with Python that I can't do with C#?
You can go home on time at the end of the day.

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/ jabber: