Brake Lights stopped working - help! E36

Old May 9th 06, 03:30 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Brake Lights stopped working - help! E36

The two rear brake lights and cyclopse on my 1997 BMW 318ic E36 has
stopped working - I checked the fuses under the hood and all looks good
- any advice what else it could be?Thanks in advance,

Old May 9th 06, 03:54 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

It happen to me just last week.
Brake pedal switch.

oups.com...

Old May 9th 06, 03:17 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"MJD" > wrote:
> It happen to me just last week.
> Brake pedal switch.

This happened to me about a year ago (1997 E36 318i). There is an easy test
for this condition before you go to the dealer or start tearing it down
yourself. Find a nice empty chuck of freeway and set the cruise control,
then tap the brakes. If the cruise disengages, your pedal switch is OK. If
not, then it's the switch.

Tom.

Old May 9th 06, 03:46 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Tom Sanderson wrote:
> "MJD" > wrote:
>
>>It happen to me just last week.
>>Brake pedal switch.

> This happened to me about a year ago (1997 E36 318i). There is an easy test
> for this condition before you go to the dealer or start tearing it down
> yourself. Find a nice empty chuck of freeway and set the cruise control,
> then tap the brakes. If the cruise disengages, your pedal switch is OK. If
> not, then it's the switch.
>
> Tom.

I think there are more than one set of contacts in that switch, so that
test may not be valid for all cars...

--
-Fred W
Old May 10th 06, 05:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article . com>,
> wrote:
> > In addition to the brake pedal switch suggestion, you might also want
> > to check the wiring loom. My 93 E36 recently lost the brake lights.
> > Then a day later the license plate lights. Then then the fog lights.
> > Then I lost power to the windows and central locking, and finally the
> > alarm. Discovered that all the wires were breaking and shorting in the
> > part of the loom that is exposed at the side of the boot/trunk - years
> > of opening and closing had caused them to split.

> Follows...more of that fine German engineering. I guess it never
> occured to them that trunk lids will need to be opened and closed
> over time.

More likely the loom has been disturbed for accident repairs etc and not
correctly replaced.

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

1999 Jeep grand Cherokee No Rear Brake Lights [email protected] Technology 1 December 16th 05 11:14 PM
Speedometer / Odometer stopped working. Check engine / ABS lights on now rickeyd Mazda 1 November 12th 05 03:35 PM
brake lights always on Scott BMW 3 June 1st 05 02:15 AM
"Lights on" chime not working (97 TJ - doors ON) HG97TJ Jeep 32 May 27th 05 06:22 PM
Funky Brake Lights [email protected] Saturn 4 April 12th 05 07:55 AM