Fun with carbon

Old March 3rd 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Fun with carbon

Hi NG!
I was helping my friend with his car the other day when he produced a
spray-can of liquid which allegedly, when sprayed down the intake, will
clean the carbon build-up in the combustion chambers. I happened to
have a couple of carbon-caked heads lying around from a 1600dp and
sprayed a little of the stuff directly on one to see what would happen
and the carbon literally melted away. (I feel like a commercial)
Can't get ahold of my friend or remember what the stuff was. Seems
like most spray-on stuff doesn't work that well. Any ideas what it
might be? Thanks!!!!

BM

Old March 3rd 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"BratscheMan" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi NG!
> I was helping my friend with his car the other day when he produced a
> spray-can of liquid which allegedly, when sprayed down the intake, will
> clean the carbon build-up in the combustion chambers. I happened to
> have a couple of carbon-caked heads lying around from a 1600dp and
> sprayed a little of the stuff directly on one to see what would happen
> and the carbon literally melted away. (I feel like a commercial)
> Can't get ahold of my friend or remember what the stuff was. Seems
> like most spray-on stuff doesn't work that well. Any ideas what it
> might be? Thanks!!!!
>
> BM

water will clean the combustion chambers on an assembled/running engine as
well as any spray you will find at the FLAPS..

Old March 3rd 06, 11:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

wait a minute..... what about the heat riser on the intake? If there is
something that "melts carbon away" then it would be an answer to prayer for
cleaning the intake. (but then, why wouldn't we have heard of it?)
--
KWW
'65 Beetle (Jenny the IOC)

Old March 3rd 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

BratscheMan wrote:
> Hi NG!
> I was helping my friend with his car the other day when he produced a
> spray-can of liquid which allegedly, when sprayed down the intake, will
> clean the carbon build-up in the combustion chambers. I happened to
> have a couple of carbon-caked heads lying around from a 1600dp and
> sprayed a little of the stuff directly on one to see what would happen
> and the carbon literally melted away. (I feel like a commercial)
> Can't get ahold of my friend or remember what the stuff was. Seems
> like most spray-on stuff doesn't work that well. Any ideas what it
> might be? Thanks!!!!
>
> BM

Seafoam works very good for cleaning the combustion chamber, as well as
the intake. It used to be pretty hard to find, but now I think you can
get it at just about any FLAPS.
I had an old Honda Civic years ago that had a clogged EGR passage, and
my BIL had this factory GM stuff that he used to clean it out. Not sure
if you can get it at a local dealer or not though, and I can't remember
the proper name or part number. It was pretty potent stuff, a little
went a long way.

Old March 6th 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

wrote:
> BratscheMan wrote:
>
>>Hi NG!
>>I was helping my friend with his car the other day when he produced a
>>spray-can of liquid which allegedly, when sprayed down the intake, will
>>clean the carbon build-up in the combustion chambers. I happened to
>>have a couple of carbon-caked heads lying around from a 1600dp and
>>sprayed a little of the stuff directly on one to see what would happen
>>and the carbon literally melted away. (I feel like a commercial)
>>Can't get ahold of my friend or remember what the stuff was. Seems
>>like most spray-on stuff doesn't work that well. Any ideas what it
>>might be? Thanks!!!!
>>
>>BM

> Seafoam works very good for cleaning the combustion chamber, as well as
> the intake. It used to be pretty hard to find, but now I think you can
> get it at just about any FLAPS.
> I had an old Honda Civic years ago that had a clogged EGR passage, and
> my BIL had this factory GM stuff that he used to clean it out. Not sure
> if you can get it at a local dealer or not though, and I can't remember
> the proper name or part number. It was pretty potent stuff, a little
> went a long way.

My FLAPS sells both SeaFoam and "GM Top Engine Cleaner." I used the
latter on a gunked-up non-VW engine and you can almost see the tops of
the pistons now

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old March 7th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

GM's Top Engine Cleaner works well. You pour it down the carb in a small
stream with
the engine running and then dump the last bit in all at once and stall the
engine.
You let it sit for a while and then start it back up. You should see lotsa
black
coming out the exhaust if you have a lot of carbon build up. I suppose you
could
use it on a disassembled engine. Water, which is cheaper ) works almost as
good.
A trickle from your garden hose down the carburetor whilst the engine is
running.
(you'll have to manually work the throttle to keep it running)

As for something that works with the heads off of the car, regular spray
type carburetor cleaner
probably works fairly well. Maybe that was what was being used. Most heavy
crusty carbon needs
a bit of scraping no matter what.