air conditioner seized

Old November 4th 04, 08:45 AM
*selah*

Default air conditioner seized

We've got a 92 explorer. The air conditioner motor has
seized and the fan belt is just slipping over it. I assume
this isn't too good for the belt, and also would make the
generator turn more slowly?

It still turns a little sometimes.

Is there a simple way to add oil and unstick it?
Old November 4th 04, 03:09 PM
Charlie Bress

"*selah*" > wrote in message
> We've got a 92 explorer. The air conditioner motor has
> seized and the fan belt is just slipping over it. I assume
> this isn't too good for the belt, and also would make the
> generator turn more slowly?
>
> It still turns a little sometimes.
>
> Is there a simple way to add oil and unstick it?

It is likely the compressor (it is not a motor) that is bound up. It is not
repairable and will have to be replaced.
It could be the clutch that is frozen. You can tell by disconnecting the
wires that go to the clutch. If the belt stops slipping and the pulley spins
nicely, that confirms the compressor is at fault.

If disconnecting the clutch does not let everything to turn smoothly, you
have a problem that must be fixed as soon as possible.
I had the compressor fail on my 92 when I was driving along on a day when I
did not really need the a/c on. I did not realize what had happened and as I
drove along, the belt finally failed. It actually burned or melted apart.
Now you lose a lot of vital operations of the SUV. The alternator quits and
you just run on the battery, the water pump stops and the radiator
overheats, the power steering quits and steering becomes very difficult. You
get the idea.

If you are a short distance from a repair facility, you can probably get
there, otherwise you might need a tow.

It is also a good idea as the repairs are done to carefully inspect the belt
to be sure it has not already been damaged.

Charlie

Old November 5th 04, 05:50 AM
Chief_Wiggum

It's unlikely that the compressor is the problem. Unless the A/C is turned
on, the clutch should freewheel .

2 things to check.
1. with the engine running, and the a/c off, if the pulley is still while
the belt slips over it, then the bearing in the clutch is bad. About an
$80.00 part for a complet assy.
2. you can try to turn the compressor by hand by rotating the outside (not
the pulley) with your hand (engine off of course). you should be able to
move it.

good luck.

Old November 5th 04, 08:17 AM
*selah*

The pulley sometimes turns once or twice but is usually still.

Old November 5th 04, 05:26 PM
Big Bill

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 20:50:08 -0800, "Chief_Wiggum" >
wrote:

>It's unlikely that the compressor is the problem. Unless the A/C is turned
>on, the clutch should freewheel .
>
>2 things to check.
>1. with the engine running, and the a/c off, if the pulley is still while
>the belt slips over it, then the bearing in the clutch is bad. About an
>$80.00 part for a complet assy.

Doesn't the bearing go between the clutch and the compressor shaft?
When the clutch is activated, doesn't it turn the compressor?
So, if the bearing is seized, won't the belt turn the compressor?
Could be both, but if the clutch doesn't turn at all, the compressor
is probably shot.
>2. you can try to turn the compressor by hand by rotating the outside (not
>the pulley) with your hand (engine off of course). you should be able to
>move it.
>
>good luck.
>

>"*selah*" > wrote in message
>> We've got a 92 explorer. The air conditioner motor has
>> seized and the fan belt is just slipping over it. I assume
>> this isn't too good for the belt, and also would make the
>> generator turn more slowly?
>>
>> It still turns a little sometimes.
>>
>> Is there a simple way to add oil and unstick it?

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old November 5th 04, 05:47 PM
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

The A/C compressor AND clutch assembly are both hammered.....
The magnetic clutch sits on the compressor's input shaft, if it's not
turning the compressor, it's scrap metal by now. If they kept trying to get
it to run, the clutch is wasted along with it.
Time to bend over and pay for a new compressor, clutch and serpintine belt.

Old November 6th 04, 02:53 AM
Chief_Wiggum

"Big Bill" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 20:50:08 -0800, "Chief_Wiggum" >
> wrote:
>
> >It's unlikely that the compressor is the problem. Unless the A/C is

turned
> >on, the clutch should freewheel .
> >
> >2 things to check.
> >1. with the engine running, and the a/c off, if the pulley is still while
> >the belt slips over it, then the bearing in the clutch is bad. About an
> >$80.00 part for a complet assy.

> Doesn't the bearing go between the clutch and the compressor shaft?

No, the bearing goes between the pully and the nose of the compressor
housing. The clutch is connected via a spline shaft to the compressor drive.

> When the clutch is activated, doesn't it turn the compressor?

Yes

> So, if the bearing is seized, won't the belt turn the compressor?

No. the pully just doesn't freewheel.

> Could be both, but if the clutch doesn't turn at all, the compressor
> is probably shot.

Not if the compressor still turns.. Definately could be both though...
have to check more!

Old November 6th 04, 07:24 AM
Jim Warman

Agreed.... most everyone I have ever seen trying to get by with just a
pulley bearing and a clutch coil winds up buying all that stuff again along
with a new compressor. The added financial burden ALWAYS comes BEFORE the
pocketbook has recovered from the first assault.

It sounds like the original poster is continuing to drive the car...... It
should be mentioned that the water pump not turning is a lot scarier than
the alternator not turning and paying the tow truck bill isn't going to make
it easier to pay for the needed repair.

m...

Old November 7th 04, 09:10 AM
John Riggs

I say compressor. Remember I just replaced mine in July. If the clutch
seizes, it will merely turn the compressor, which really won't hurt anything
but mileage. If the compressor seizes AND the clutch seizes....bad news. It
might be a good idea to make sure the AC is turned off. If it is, and the
clutch is still engaged...again, bad news. If the clutch freewheels, it will
confirm the compressor.
If he is going to do the replacement himself, he can usually pick the
compressor up at a salvage yard for a fraction of the cost of a new one.
He'll want to pick up a dryer as well, and a new orifice tube. If he's
frugal, he can do the job himself for under $100.

Old November 7th 04, 09:13 AM
*selah*

How difficult is it to install one of these? I've done some refrigeration
but not car air conditioners.

Also, I'm wondering about the cost of the parts.

Thanks.