TDC

Old January 18th 05, 04:48 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On 18 Jan 2005 04:28:32 GMT, "TeGGer®" > wrote:

>Last cold wave we had was before Christmas. It got down to -22F.
>
>I was real proud of my old 'Teg: 14 years old and 240K, no block heater,
>and she started right up. Took a while on the starter, but only had to turn
>the key once. People down the street have a couple of fairly new American
>cars...which wouldn't start...(snicker).

Sure, people who neglect their batteries, cables, out of sight, out of
mind, they just drive like some kind of *magic* is under the hood and
if they keep pouring gas into the back of the car, that's all they
really need to do.

I know some hoods on cars haven't been opened in so long, they _can't_
open, the latches are rusted. Ran into that recently in a Walgreens
parking lot.

People just don't pay attention; do little to no maintenance. I've
seen battery cables so corroded they separated from the cable clamps
as soon as you touched them.

I can't say I feel sorry for people like that, and there are a lot of
them.

Lg

Old January 18th 05, 12:26 PM
Billy Bad Assr©

"Rojo2G" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to get to TDC on cylinder #1 and jerking the starter is not getting
> there. Even with the spark plugs out I can't seem to rotate the block by hand.
> I'm thinking of jacking up the rear tire and then putting the vehicle in 3rd
> and rotating the rear wheel until it is TDC.
> Anything wrong with this idea or is there another way?

No - although may be a bit difficult

Instead how about using a switch or in-place of a switch. The 2-wire method - #1
to positive side of the battery. #2 wire (unknown vehicle) goes to (starter
solenoid switch) "S" terminal on the Starter Solenoid. Touch wires together to
crank!

BBA

> Thanks Rojo

no problem

Old January 18th 05, 03:35 PM
Brian

If it's a manual transmission, put it in a high gear and push it. Thats
worked for many years...Your wheel idea will work too, but pushing the car
is a whole lot easier.

Brian

Old January 18th 05, 04:23 PM
William R. Watt

I can get an large open end wrench on the crankshaft bolt on my Festiva to
set the engine to TDC with the plugs out. A remote starter does a rough
setting and the wrench for fine adjustment.

A cold engine will be harder to turn over. If you have a block heater I'd
plug it in for half an hour before attmepting to set the engine to TDC.

If it's cool outdoors you might be more comfortable working with a tarp
draped over the raised hood and a portable heater on the floor under the
engine compartment or just the trouble light hanging off the underside of
the hood. I'd let this warm up for half an hour or so before starting to
work. Parking the car in direct sunlight would also help. Usually the
coldest days are also the sunniest and least windy, ie atmospheric high
pressure system.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old January 18th 05, 06:10 PM
Steve

Rojo2G wrote:

> I'm trying to get to TDC on cylinder #1 and jerking the starter is not getting
> there. Even with the spark plugs out I can't seem to rotate the block by hand.
> I'm thinking of jacking up the rear tire and then putting the vehicle in 3rd
> and rotating the rear wheel until it is TDC.
> Anything wrong with this idea or is there another way?
> Thanks Rojo

Any reason not to put a breaker bar on the large bolt holding the
pulleys to the crankshaft? (unless the car is a mid-80s Cadillac on
which they removed said bolt on the assembly line after using it to
press the harmonic damper on.... one of those GM practices that makes
you say "What the heck were they thinking???").

Old January 18th 05, 08:37 PM
ray

:

>>>Poor *******s, we are. It's -6F right now for me. Just looked at the
>>>thermometer.

>>Poor *******s we are. It is going down to -8F IIRC tomorrow night.
>>Anybody who has to work outside on their car in this weather has my
>>deepest condolences, well, ALmost everyone.....
>>
>>I expect there will be a lot of cars that won't start tomorrow
>>morning. Dead batteries, frozen fuel lines. Myself, I had better get
>>some HEET or equivalent before I find myself in the same situation !
>>

> Last cold wave we had was before Christmas. It got down to -22F.
>
> I was real proud of my old 'Teg: 14 years old and 240K, no block heater,
> and she started right up. Took a while on the starter, but only had to turn
> the key once. People down the street have a couple of fairly new American
> cars...which wouldn't start...(snicker).

-22F? I don't even plug my Jimmy in at -22F.
Helps with 0w30 and a V8 sized (800+ CCA) battery to spin it over at
-40. The little V6 doesn't know what hit it.
I also have 80% of the grille blocked off so it warms up quick.
I'd still rather move south.

For the OP - pulling the plugs will make it way easier to spin the
engine over by hand or on the crank pulley.
Although your comment about the starter concerns me - why can't you use
the starter to bump the engine over? If it's not turning at all I think
TDC is the least of your worries.

Ray