A4 vs. A6 vs. A8 vs. S8

Old May 27th 04, 09:52 PM
Randy S

>except that new S4 is not as good either as it's
>got the worst mileage in its category. Who wants
>a thirsty 344PS V8 if they could have made a
>3.2 biturbo that would make some more power
>(in the region of 370PS) and much better torque when chipped?

I test-drove and walked-away from the B5 S4 in 2001. The turbo lag,
disappointing torque, and risk of turbo failure was a turn off. The S4 in
6-speed automatic trim makes 24MPG highway, which isn't bad for a 2-ton,
V8-powered, 340 horsepower car. I'm strongly considering a 2004-2005 S4, after
the limited test-drives I've had. I'll take a torque-rich V8 over a
high-reving V6 anyday.

Old May 28th 04, 08:26 AM
Steve Grauman

>Who wants a thirsty 344PS V8 if they
>could have made a 3.2 biturbo that would make some more power (in the region
>of 370PS) and much better torque when chipped?

I was convinced that the B6 S4 would run a bi-turbo version of the A4's 3.0 but
I guess they decided aganist it for reasons unknown. The 4.2 actually weighs
about the same as the 2.7T but the car is heavier than before. The S4 is a
great performer, competant to at least come very near the M3 on a track, if not
beat it outright. But it's not as fun to drive and while it benefits from great
traction, it's nose heavy. I havn't driven a B6 S4 yet, but I'm guessing that
it's a lot like the C5 Z06 Corvette I drove - tons of power, great grip, but
nose heavy and difficult at the limit. I'll take a used 911, please. It's not
like the S4's back seats are all that comfy anyhow.
Old May 28th 04, 08:28 AM
Steve Grauman

>I test-drove and walked-away from the B5 S4 in 2001. The turbo lag,
>disappointing torque, and risk of turbo failure was a turn off

I quite liked the B5 model. I found the 255 Ft. Lbs to be quite adequate,
especially since it felt like a V8 (with max. Torque from around 2,000 RPM)
compared to the high strung I6 in the M3. OTOH, I've always liked
well-engineered turbo motors, so maybe I'm bias.

> The S4 in
>6-speed automatic trim makes 24MPG highway, which isn't bad for a 2-ton,
>V8-powered, 340 horsepower car. I'm strongly considering a 2004-2005 S4,
>after
>the limited test-drives I've had.

The B6 S4 is the only Audi I really covet at the moment. The RS6 and A8 are
amazing automobiles, but hard-sells considering their prices.
Old May 28th 04, 02:48 PM
JP Roberts

The reason is more than probably that it might have stolen many a customer
away from their next RS4. I think people at Audi have come to realise that
turbo engines are so tunable that they're generally preferred by all except
those fussy enough to pay for the extra bucks for a V8.

Old May 28th 04, 07:31 PM
Steve Grauman

>The reason is more than probably that it might have stolen many a customer
>away from their next RS4.

It depends on how much of Audi's customer base is likely to risk warranty
problems through chipping and making other mods. Even if they shared an engine,
the RS4 would be more powerful, and would probably have bigger brakes,
different wheels, better tires, body kit, and some other goodies to seperate it
from the standard S4. Only if a very large percentage of Audi's customer base
were willing to make their own mods to an S4 could they legitimately be
concerned about stealing RS4 sales.
Old May 28th 04, 11:35 PM
JP Roberts

Of course, the RS4 will be better overall, but then again its price will be
miles away from that of the car I was suggesting, and performance-wise, it
wouldn't make much of a difference to the average driver, who is bound by
legalities and does not take their car to circuits.

Then again, in terms of the number of Audis being chipped, I might dare to
speculate that more than 50% post-warranty 1.8Ts and 2.7Ts are probably
chipped. Of course, this is only a subjective impression I get from forum
reading, but I will accept that forum users are probably more prone to such
things as chipping.