How much $ to charge for engine assembly?

Old June 4th 05, 02:17 AM
QuickTruck

Default How much $ to charge for engine assembly?

Hey Everyone,
A neighbor asked me to do engine work on his Chevy 350. Basic
small-block, 70's vintage with carb. He paid for the parts and machine
work. I had to figure out what cam he should use, parts
recommendations and assemble the whole thing for him. It's ready for
him to pick up and he's been asking how much he owes me. I've always
done engines for myself, but this is the first time getting paid for
it. I probably have 10 hours in it, including dissably prep and
assembly. I'm not a pro, but a pretty successfull do-it-yourself
mechanic.

Thanks,
Don W

Old June 4th 05, 10:26 AM
Dave Milne

Sounds like you want to charge him close to the local garage rates or you
woudn't be asking :-)
Me, if he was a decent sort, I'd charge him a bottle of whisky, and know I
can ask for help when I need it.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

oups.com...

Old June 4th 05, 07:15 PM
Will Honea

That sounds more like my kind of pricing. Over the years, I've had
the favors come back from the third or fourth party down the line as
often as from the guy I helped directly.

If the guy is enough of a jerk that I feel like I want to charge him I
just don't do the work. If he wants to make an offer, I let him feel
good abouit himself.

In the society of lawyers we have evolved into, there is also a
liability issue to consider for paid services.

--
Will Honea
Old June 4th 05, 07:31 PM
Dave Milne

you and I are running the same policy :-)

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old June 4th 05, 07:46 PM
Mike Romain

I won't disagree there. I have helped two folks from this group rebuild
their engines. One in a snowbank, the other in an unheated garage at
-20 or so.

I worked for beer and the return favor.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old June 4th 05, 08:04 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I know people in Utah that barter, that's a good way to get what
you want, and not use any real money, so no taxes, all though I think
the revenuers still give them a bad time.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 5th 05, 06:51 PM
Lee Ayrton

Will Honea wrote:

[snip fore and aft]

> In the society of lawyers we have evolved into, there is also a
> liability issue to consider for paid services.

IANALawyer but I very much doubt that the lack of an exchange of cash or
of a formal place of regular business will effectively keep one out of
USofA civil courts over an allegation of loss or injury.

Consider: You are a Good Guy, you help me out by doing over my brakes
in your driveway, I pay you nothing. A month later a rusty brake line
pops during an attempted panic stop. I survive and haul you into court
because you knew or ought to have known that a dangerous condition
existed (and because I'm a jerk, am under insured and need the cash).
"Why," my tinhorn from the firm of Dewey, Cheetham and Howe screeches to
the judge, "Mr. Honea might just as well have put a ticking timebomb
under my client's driver's seat! Honea was under the car, did the
brakes and _let_ my client drive away in a lethal deathtrap." I might
not be able to convince a jury that you had a duty to guard my safety
but it will cost you at least $10,000 in lawyer fees to defend yourself
against my suit.

Wanna settle right now for, oh, $6K, before my tinhorn finds out that
you hold a $1M umbrella policy on your house?

Old June 5th 05, 07:45 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

God, I'm glad I'm not an owner operator pumping gas, or driving a
truck anymore.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 5th 05, 10:01 PM
Dave Milne

You get some truly bizarre judgemnts your side of the pond ; like the case 2
months back of some teenage girls who baked some cookies and left them on
their neighbour's front door step - neighbour sued the girls successfully
for $1000 as she had a panic attack on seeing the cookies.

Fortunately here there is a deterrent in suing people ; if you can't make it
stick, you are responsible for ALL of the costs, including theirs. Plus if
it is particularly stupid or petty, the lawyers get a bollocking for wasting
the court's time.

which reminds me of a small limerick.

There once was a man named Rex
Who had diminutive organs of sex
As he flashed them about
He let out a great shout
"De minimis non curat lex" (the courts are not concerned with small
things).

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old June 5th 05, 11:53 PM
Will Honea

I have a very good insurance company for such things. They have been
able to recover costs for defending every such suit to date - not
being a professional, certified 'technician' removes much of the due
diligence problem. Now, if I help you with electrical wiring, that's
another story.

Still a PITA, but generally just helping out leaves the owner in the
position of responsibility. Matter of fact, it generally leaves him
with liability for any injuries you suffer as well. I've found that a
good lawyer usually makes a pretty decent poker player as well.