Long distance trip tool box & maintainance......

Old May 31st 05, 08:26 PM
popeyeball

Default Long distance trip tool box & maintainance......

Tool Box:
I have a 97 TJ with 76,000 miles.
What would be in your tool. Think of gotta haves first (because of
space) than the what you might want to have just in case. My regular
set of 'traveling tools' has been corrupted doing other projects am
thinking of a set of Craftsman that might cover the gaumet - any tool
kit ideas on GOOD tool kits? This is America and as they say, "Theres
a Walmart or Mickey D's on every cornor" and theres a lot of tools
stores but I'd like to be prepared. I won't be doing any off roading
on purpose except to explore a trail looking for a nice fishing spot
and a free site to camp for the night. Everyone knows space is premium
so I might just buy a tent at my 1500 mile destination and mail the
dress clothes home.
(Don't laugh. One vacation I started out on St. Johns hiking for a
while. I used up all the clothes I had brought and only had to do one
laundry load on SJ. Than I met up with other folks from the US. We
had set up a charter and bare boated the British Virging Islands
(highly reccoomended). This took up the entire month of February but
that was before the market sunk, lol, and once again I am a pauper. We
went to a different island each day and I bought a new shirt and pair
of pants to wear - I'm a light weight so I like to travel with a gym
bag. Please don't tell me to buy a tool at each gas station.)
Now Maintainence:
OK, so I'm heading out for a one way trip of 1500 miles (and yes I will
return). On the way back I will be camping and hopefully frolicing in
the summer sun (not all that much in Michigan year round) so all total
it may be 4 or 5,000 miles (oh God the gas bill). Here's hoping for
hills that only roll down. I got a '55' code before I began any work.
Of course I have new plugs, rotor, dist. cap (all OEM), but did'nt go
for new wires(about 30-35K on them). Filled up with Mobil One oil &
attached a Mobil One filter (please lets not start controversy on that
again). Cleaned the reuseable air filter (another controversy to
avoid). Just had 5 new tires put on last week (36psi cold - yikes) and
while on the hoist had the brakes checked and bled (just because -
maybe moisture). The battery is charged and topped off, terminals
cleaned and ground checked. The thortle is cleaned up. I gave it the
regular greasing but the loweer balljoiints hardly took any grease
(could it only be the zerk fitting?), I do have a flexable extension.
I'd like to clean the electrical connectors at the mainfold that every
is told it is the PMS (I forget) or is it the hemroid ballancer but
am not sure what is the best cleaner and if I should use dialectric
grease after (haven't pulled one off yet). I have the original shocks
on the thing and so is just about everything else. What suggestions
could the group could offer in the way of other maintainance they would
under take. I only have so much time till zero hour (actually already
behind schedule), but rather ariver in my TJ than a box.
Please talk to me like a two year old so I will not have to ask dumb
questions later.
Thanks,
Steve

Old May 31st 05, 08:41 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.4x4now.com/4whtbcr.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 31st 05, 09:30 PM
popeyeball

Thanks Bill. The GPS is on my Christmas list.
Steve

Old May 31st 05, 09:36 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Mine too!
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...rch+this+group
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 1st 05, 02:53 AM
Patrick Ô¿Ô

I have a Metrinch set that I realy like. It is a socket and wrench set. It
has both metric and standard on the same socket. I also have a small torx
bit set just in case i run into them. I can put all that and a hammer in a
small ammo can, which is water tight when closed. I also put a small roll
of paper towels in there to wipe my hands off with.

Patrick
Ô¿Ô

"popeyeball" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> [...]
> cleaned and ground checked. The thortle is cleaned up. I gave it the
> regular greasing but the loweer balljoiints hardly took any grease
> (could it only be the zerk fitting?), I do have a flexable extension.
> I'd like to clean the electrical connectors at the mainfold that every
> is told it is the PMS (I forget) or is it the hemroid ballancer but
> am not sure what is the best cleaner and if I should use dialectric
> grease after (haven't pulled one off yet). I have the original shocks
> on the thing and so is just about everything else. What suggestions
> could the group could offer in the way of other maintainance they would
> under take. I only have so much time till zero hour (actually already
> behind schedule), but rather ariver in my TJ than a box.
> Please talk to me like a two year old so I will not have to ask dumb

looking for long distance truck driving safety tips j.pod Driving 4 January 6th 05 06:10 PM
RAV4 on long distance Roger_Aus 4x4 2 October 28th 04 06:08 AM
Long distance driving with a classic car E Brown Antique cars 8 August 11th 04 04:06 PM