Install Nav in Honda Odyssey EX?

Old October 22nd 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
[email protected]

Default Install Nav in Honda Odyssey EX?

Hi,

I just purchased a used 1999 Honday Odyssey EX. The van does not have
the optional GPS Navigation system from Honda.

I want to know if it is possible to install a GPS Nav system
after-the-fact. I recognize that this would change the layout of the
dash, so I'm not even sure if it's possible. The GPS Nav system for the
Odyssey also runs the heaing & AC controls, so there are fewer knobs on
the dashboard. I'm guessing I would have to go to an auto wrecking yard
for the plastic dashboard frame stuff.

Should it be possible, what am I looking for? I've seen used DVD Nav
systems for sale that are supposed to work with several different model
Honda's, but I don't know exactly which model would work with my
vehicle. Further, if I found a '99 model that would work with my
vehicle, would its maps be horribly out-of-date and unable to be
updated?

Thanks in advance!

Old October 28th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
TomP[_1_]

wrote:

> I want to know if it is possible to install a GPS Nav system
> after-the-fact.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Yes it is possible. The real question is... are you willing to pay the
price.

Just the navigation control unit's, retail price is over $2000! I would
estimate the cost of retro fitting factory navi to be between 3 and 5
thousand dollars, assuming you pay retail for everything. And do the labor
yourself.

A better solution is a Garmin Nuvi.

http://gpsnow.com/garmin_nuvi_gps.htm

I recently had the opportunity to use one and it works well.
2 problems from my experience:
1. The screen is smaller than the factory navi.
2. If you don't take it with you, when you exit the car, someone else
will...
--
Tp,

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...