brake light is ON, plus lighted "I" and "P" on '95 Bronco

Old February 8th 05, 09:20 PM
John Doe

Default brake light is ON, plus lighted "I" and "P" on '95 Bronco

I noticed a couple of days ago that the the "Brake" light
is ON, and underneath it there are a circled "I" and "P"
that are also lit on my 1995 Ford Bronco.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of problem or
failure this might indicate? I know that the "Brake"
can mean anything related to brales, but "I" and "P"
should mean something more specific.

The break feels just a tiny bit funny, but works, and
there's plenty of break fluid in the reservoir. I can't
say it for sure, but it appears to me that there might
be a bit more fluid in the reservoir than when I filled
it up last time.....

I noticed this when I was first driving it after the car
was sitting unused for about a week... (was very
rainy during that week)

Car has ABS (but the ABS light is NOT on), and
I have replaced the pads and the whole rear end
about 3 months ago, and flushed the system at that
time (bled it until I saw clean fluid coming out everywhere).

Old February 8th 05, 11:11 PM
TCS

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:20:01 GMT, John Doe > wrote:

> I noticed a couple of days ago that the the "Brake" light
>is ON, and underneath it there are a circled "I" and "P"
>that are also lit on my 1995 Ford Bronco.

RTFM. Call a ford dealer if you've lost it.

Old February 9th 05, 04:39 AM
John Doe

"Roger Maxwell" > wrote in message

> The symbols are ( ! ) and ( P ), not ( I ) and ( P ).
>
> ( ! ) = low brake fluid or a short circuit on the way to the fluid level
> sensor AND/OR an tripped pressure differential switch caused by a leak,
> failed master cylinder or some other hydraulic problem.
>
> ( P ) = your parking brake is on or there is a short in the parking brake
> switch.
>
> The light can illuminate under any of the above mentioned circumstances.

Get
> it fixed by a competent mechanic before you end up with a tree as a hood
> ornament.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to figure out how these readings are possible because:
a) fluid level is definitely not low
b) parking brake is definitely not ON (I hardly ever use it,
but just went out and checked it, anyhow)

So I'm almost certain that "P" is false, and that casts some
doubt on "!", too, although because of the other possibilities,
I can't rule out anything yet.

I think for now I'll assume that this is an electrical problem
and check out wiring and sensors individually before
anything else.

Where are the fluid level sensor and the pressure differential
switch? Somewhere in or around the master cylinder?

TIA

Old February 9th 05, 09:42 AM
Billy Bad Assr©

Answers inline

> I noticed a couple of days ago that the the "Brake" light
> is ON, and underneath it there are a circled "I" and "P"
> that are also lit on my 1995 Ford Bronco.

"I" wtf is that? Perhaps it is a "!" = brake issue!

"P" = Parking Brake Issue

> failure this might indicate?

Check you brake fluid level - is low?!

Also check your rear brake shoes. Are they low?!

> The break feels just a tiny bit funny, but works, and
> there's plenty of break fluid in the reservoir. I can't
> say it for sure, but it appears to me that there might
> be a bit more fluid in the reservoir than when I filled
> it up last time.....

Rear shoes are getting low or perhaps rear adjuster is stuck-- check them ASAP!

--
BBA
°?°

Old February 10th 05, 12:48 AM
Bob M.

"John Doe" > wrote in message

> "Roger Maxwell" > wrote in message
>>
>> The symbols are ( ! ) and ( P ), not ( I ) and ( P ).
>>
>> ( ! ) = low brake fluid or a short circuit on the way to the fluid level
>> sensor AND/OR an tripped pressure differential switch caused by a leak,
>> failed master cylinder or some other hydraulic problem.
>>
>> ( P ) = your parking brake is on or there is a short in the parking brake
>> switch.
>>
>> The light can illuminate under any of the above mentioned circumstances.

> Get
>> it fixed by a competent mechanic before you end up with a tree as a hood
>> ornament.

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I'm trying to figure out how these readings are possible because:
> a) fluid level is definitely not low
> b) parking brake is definitely not ON (I hardly ever use it,
> but just went out and checked it, anyhow)
>
> So I'm almost certain that "P" is false, and that casts some
> doubt on "!", too, although because of the other possibilities,
> I can't rule out anything yet.
>
> I think for now I'll assume that this is an electrical problem
> and check out wiring and sensors individually before
> anything else.
>
> Where are the fluid level sensor and the pressure differential
> switch? Somewhere in or around the master cylinder?
>
> TIA

As far as I know, most rear drum brakes have a self-adjuster on them, but in
order for it to self-adjust, you have to go backwards and stomp on the
brakes. The owners manual will tell you.