Chrysler in the UK

Old July 5th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
flobert

Default Chrysler in the UK

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 12:20:05 -0500, Steve > wrote:

>> What euros think of when they think of american cars is large floart
>> riding cars, with huge engines and low power outputs, and ****-poor
>> handling. As a brit living in the Us, and having driven many american
>> cars, its pretty much spot on.

>Pretty much spot-on BULL****.

Drive a load of european spec cars then, then drive a load of
comparable american cars. odds are the suspension will be a lot softer
in the US car, the steering not as sharp, the engines tuned more for
low-range power, and bigger, and much more likely to have an automatic
box. , oh, and the US car will also be heavier
Old July 5th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

flobert wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 15:03:23 -0700, Whoever >
> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 3 Jul 2006, flobert wrote:
>>

>>>So, what you're saying is that your chrysler drives as well as a
>>>usually porly maintained car with lots of miles on - hardly a ringing
>>>endorsement. (rental cars are always run ragged, no matter what the
>>>country, its just basic economics)

>>You rent from the wrong places. I have often driven rental cars with
>>little more than delivery mileage on them (less than 1000 miles total).
>>And in many cases, since the manufacturers want to "manufacture" used
>>cars, they sell/lease to rental companies with deals that limit mileage to
>>such an extent that required maintenance is little more than oil changes.
>>So in this case "basic economics" means that the rental cars will be
>>almost like new.

> i've worked on some large events, where you can have every rental
> agency in a place like San Franssico out of cars. i've seen ohow mny
> people drive them. ("Hey, we got the insurance, it doesn't matter
> really if we stick 2 ton of stuff int he back,a nd then try for
> burnouts" or my favourite, a jeep grand cherokee, in low range 4WD,
> doing burnouts down the vegas strip, then back at the base camp, going
> and doing donuts in the dirt.
>
> People don't look after rental cars like they would their own.

It's a common saying in the business world that it's completely
acceptable to have all four wheels of a rental car in the air at one time.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old July 6th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dori A Schmetterling

That's the answer to a question I did not ask. Are you a politician or
something? ;-)

BTW, most Mercs in the UK are sold with auto boxes. Would not be surprised
if same applied to BMWs.

DAS

---

"flobert" > wrote in message
[...]
> Generally, 95% of euroepan cars are manual, 5% automatic. There or
> thereabouts, anyway, no more than 10% autos. Reason is, almost
> everyone learns to driev a manual since if you pass your driving test
> in an atutomatic, thats what your licenses restricts you to. Autos are
> not common, and often cost a fair bit more than a manual for that
> reason.
>

>>DAS
>>
>>For direct contact replace nospam with schmetterling
>>---

. ..

Old July 7th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Just Facts

> > I've had Chryslers since they went FWD and their FWD cars handle just
> >as well as the UK rental cars I drive every few years when I'm in the
> >UK.

In article >,
flobert > wrote:
> So, what you're saying is that your chrysler drives as well as a
> usually porly maintained car with lots of miles on - hardly a ringing
> endorsement. (rental cars are always run ragged, no matter what the
> country, its just basic economics)

You sure make assumptions and jump to unsupported conclusions.
My last UK rental was a BRAND NEW Focus SW in May. I've never had a
rental car from a major rental company that was more than 6 months old.
Thank goodness you don't write auto reports.

Major rental company cars are used for such a short time, handling would
not be affected by poor maintenance. Of course miss use could affect
handling, but that would be unusual.