2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager Minivan

Old December 5th 04, 11:15 PM
William R. Walsh

Default 2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager Minivan

Hello all...

I am the owner of a 2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager Minivan with a four speed
automatic transmission. This van, while pretty well reliable and all that,
has been plagued with various transmission leaks as time has worn on.
Usually I have had trouble with the cooler hoses, but those seem to be fine
for now.

What I have is a leak in what I believe is called a "Chrysler A604 solenoid
body". This leak appears to be in the gasket, and I have obtained a Chrysler
gasket, number 4659982.

Now I need some ideas or a procedure on how to get the solenoid body apart
so I can install this gasket. I have some mechanical experience working on
vehicles and think I can figure this out once I get the assembly apart. If
anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

My apologies if I have posted this to the wrong group.

William

Old December 6th 04, 12:04 AM
maxpower

You posted to the right group, The part that fails the most is the
gasket,very easy to replace, but i have seen the solonoids leak thru the top
of the connector as well, Remove the air cleaner assembly and the Input
speed sensor, thats the one just above the middle screw of the solonoid
pack, remove all the 10mm screws and lift off the pack and you are there,
clean-install gasket and reinstall, If you see Trans fluid at the top of the
connector of the solonoid pack when the comnector is removed, upon
dissassembly...... you may want to replace the pack also
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech
"William R. Walsh" > wrote in
message news:OEMsd.207580$R05.29699@attbi_s53...

Old December 6th 04, 12:04 AM
maxpower

Old December 6th 04, 01:45 AM
R.A. Walsh

Hi!

Thanks for replying. Your posting was very helpful and has put me on the
right track, but I'm still having some trouble.

I believe that I have removed all of the 10 MM screws, but the pack in my
van does not want to come loose. Can you tell me how many screws there
should be or the locations of each one?

Thanks!

William

Old December 6th 04, 02:30 AM
Bill

There are 3 screws and there are 2 gaskets. One between the separator plate
and solenoid pack and one between the separator and the trans case. The
solenoid pack sticks to the trans case and the 3 screws have dowels that
pull down into recesses in the trans case. Proper torque for the screws is
110 inch pounds

Bill

Old December 6th 04, 02:30 AM
Bill

Old December 6th 04, 09:33 AM
maxpower

3 screws, left right center, it will be stuck to the gasket,

Old December 6th 04, 09:33 AM
maxpower

Old December 12th 04, 05:14 AM
William R. Walsh

I'd like to thank everyone for their excellent help. It took a gentle tap
with a rubber mallet to make the module come loose, but after almost 100,000
miles I guess that's not to be unexpected.

Anyway, the gasket is in place now and it seems to have slowed the leak that
the van had quite considerably.

William