Advice on problems found with my car...

Old June 9th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Advice on problems found with my car...

Had a free tune up on my 110,000 mile 1997 Honda Civic today at my
local Honda dealer (extended emissions warranty). They also performed a
complimentary 40 pt. inspection and found the following problems:

1) timing belt may need to be replaced ( bought car at 60,000 and not
so sure this has ever been replaced)
2) front engine mount broken
3) rear trailer arm bushings broken
4) oil pan gasket leaking
5) weak radiator hose
6) transmission, brake fluid, engine air filter service recommended

I'm wondering first which of these problems should be my main
priorities to fix and am wondering also the approximate cost for each
of these repairs? I'll be getting some or all of these repaired in the
next couple of weeks so any advice is appreciated, thanks!!!

Old June 10th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

> wrote
> Had a free tune up on my 110,000 mile 1997 Honda Civic
> today at my
> local Honda dealer (extended emissions warranty). They
> also performed a
> complimentary 40 pt. inspection and found the following
> problems:
>
> 1) timing belt may need to be replaced ( bought car at
> 60,000 and not
> so sure this has ever been replaced)

Do this a.s.a.p. It may be past due.

Don't gamble. If it breaks (and they do break), the engine
has a high probability of being destroyed.

> 2) front engine mount broken

Ask the shop how they know this. Ask about the wisdom of
putting this off.

Are you feeling odd vibrations at idle?

This may or may not be urgent.

Google is your friend. See
http://www.autoguide.net/tmm/austin30.shtml for some info
about motor mounts.

> 3) rear trailer arm bushings broken

This can likely be postponed. The car will not handle
optimally, but these bushings on my 91 Civic have been
broken for years. I'm just getting around to replacing them.

If you are handy enough to remove a rear wheel, you can get
a look at these 3-inch diameter bushings yourself. Here are
two sites I am studying now to do the job myself. They'll
help you locate the bushings.

http://marketwareinc.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=3442

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1589298

(But doing it one's self means buying a $170 tool.)

If you do have the trailing arm bushings done, consider
purchasing them from Autoway Honda (mentioned at the first
site above). I checked with them earlier this week, and they
wanted about $40 a bushing, and only $6 for shipping. Email:
, I think. Or google for
"autoway honda" in Florida. Your dealer will charge a lot
more for these bushings.

They have to be oriented correctly. I think I'd only trust
the dealer (or myself) to do these.

> 4) oil pan gasket leaking

I agree with Curly.

> 5) weak radiator hose

Have them show you. It's probably not expensive, and since a
loss of coolant can have a catastropic effect on the engine,
if the hose looks worn to you, replace it soon.

> 6) transmission, brake fluid, engine air filter service
> recommended

You should replace the air filter yourself. Very easy. Good
thing to know and help you get acquainted with your car. Ask
if you need direction, or try the link below for a free
online factory service manual for your Civic.

Brake fluid is due every two years or so. Failure to renew
it will cause problems down the road. Pay the $100 or so and
replace it.

What Curly said re transmission service.

> I'm wondering first which of these problems should be my
> main
> priorities to fix and am wondering also the approximate
> cost for each
> of these repairs? I'll be getting some or all of these
> repaired in the
> next couple of weeks so any advice is appreciated,
> thanks!!!

The link at
http://www.honda.co.uk/car/owner/workshop.html
has a free online maintenance schedule for your Civic. You
should print a copy and follow it. It says when to replace
the timing belt, among other things.

Old June 10th 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

The last time I was at the local Honda dealership to change the
tranmission oil, the mechanic said my transmission would require a
complete overhaul. 40,000km later, I'm still peeling away from the
lights with the same old tired transmission.

Since your car is old, I'd try to find a reliable independent,
otherwise, maintaning the old Civic might become more expensive then
buying new. However, for emission and fluid changes (other then regular
engine oil change), I'd be inclined to use the Dealership.

Since you bought the car at 50K, TB probaby wasn't already done. So,
you're well past do. Also, brake fluid flush might be a good idea, if
never done, but you might want to wait until the front pads need
replacing to get that done. In many cases, the Dealership might have a
special on the flush and brake work.

Pars
98 Civic Hatch with 295,000km.

You probably need to do the timing belt, since at 50,000miles, the
previous owner probably didn't have it done.

Old June 10th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Elle wrote:

> > 3) rear trailer arm bushings broken

> This can likely be postponed. The car will not handle
> optimally, but these bushings on my 91 Civic have been
> broken for years. I'm just getting around to replacing them.

If there is no abnormal tire wear on the rear tires, I wouldn't
waste the money.

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old June 10th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"TomP" > wrote
> Elle wrote:
>
>> > 3) rear trailer arm bushings broken

>> This can likely be postponed. The car will not handle
>> optimally, but these bushings on my 91 Civic have been
>> broken for years. I'm just getting around to replacing
>> them.

> If there is no abnormal tire wear on the rear tires, I
> wouldn't
> waste the money.

Yesterday I was working on the rear, driver's side, lower
control arm. When re-installing it, the play for putting in
the control arm's outboard most bolt was very high. This
contrasted with the passenger side, on which I also recently
worked.

I wiggled around the brake drum/hub assembly and
simultaneously watched the trailing arm bushing. One of the
bushings two legs apparently has completely sheared.

That rubber in the bushing isn't really going anywhere, so
at the moment I wouldn't say it's a serious safety issue. It
may pose a risk to property, though, if, on a turn, part of
the rear of the car swings one way while the other does not.
OTOH, from a handling standpoint, I think I'll find the new
TA bushings worth it. But that's just me. I'm sort of in
this for the learning experience, too. I have the time.

I have the new trailing arm bushings in my possession as of
yesterday. I am calling around to see what different shops
want to put them in. If any of them already have the special
tool (http://www.shoptoolsshoptools.com/shopexd.asp?id=2784)
already, it might very well be cheaper to have the shop do
it. Or I'll grill Napa's shop press service about whether
they'll install my TA bushings to spec (that is, correct
clock and depth orientation).

Old June 10th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Elle" > wrote
Not to hijack the thread but to be complete:
> I have the new trailing arm bushings in my possession as
> of yesterday. I am calling around to see what different
> shops want to put them in. If any of them already have the
> special tool
> (http://www.shoptoolsshoptools.com/shopexd.asp?id=2784)
> already, it might very well be cheaper to have the shop do
> it. Or I'll grill Napa's shop press service about whether
> they'll install my TA bushings to spec (that is, correct
> clock and depth orientation).

Three hours at the dealer's and also Pep Boys for a little
over $240 for labor. This doesn't include an alignment which
many recommend after replacing the TA bushings.

Napa's shop now isn't sure they can even do the TA bushings.

The tool goes for $170 total, so I'm leaning that way at the
moment. I'm also investigating fabricating my own.