330ci end of warrantee sugesstions

Old February 10th 05, 09:51 PM
tuan dao

Default 330ci end of warrantee sugesstions

Hi All

I have 2 month's warrantee left on my 2000 330ci. 50,000 KMs The car is running very well, only a very slight whine through 1st and 2nd gears at less than 30 km/h. (any views on this? my dealer said its normal. started at about 40,000 KMs)

I am asking for suggestions re common problem areas before the manufacturer's warrantee elapses.

many thanks.

Tuan
Old February 13th 05, 04:01 PM
Ranger

If you want the BMW extended warranty then get it before your
manufacturer's warranty expires otherwise you will need to get an
"aftermarket" warranty as BMW will not provide an extended warranty once
the original has run out.

I got a warranty from Warranty Direct and breakdown cover from Tesco for
slightly less than the BMW one which included breakdown recovery.

Ranger

Old February 13th 05, 07:05 PM
tech27

I've never found any "extended" warranties worth the cost. Instead, I take
my BMW to a qualified technician (at one the owner is a former BMW service
manager, at the other they are a Dinan dealer), and have him go over the car
inside out, then take the car to BMW for repair while the warranty is still
in effect.
One time they found a fault code and traced it to the alternator which,
while working perfectly ok, was not charging within the acceptable
parameters. BMW replaced it with no questions asked. Would the have found
this on their own? Maybe. But I'm much more confident when I pay an
independent technician to "find absolutely every little thing that is not
right".

Has worked well for me.

. ..

Old February 13th 05, 09:31 PM
fbloogyudsr

"tech27" > wrote
> I've never found any "extended" warranties worth the cost.

I agree in almost every way with this statement.
I will attest that in two cases - and only those two cases - among
the 6 new and one one-year old car I've bought, they saved me
money.

1) '87 Isuzu Trooper. I loved the car, but they front brake calipers
were poorly designed and/or built, and would seize up. I went
through 4-5 before 100K miles; also a rear differential (!!!???) at 50K.

2) The first ('91) Dodge Caravan I bought had both the transmission
and engine go before 100K miles. When I bought the 2nd in '99
(they're very useful cars) I bought a 100K warranty. It really helped
sell the car last year with about 15K left, and helped me get top
dollar.

Those are the only two cars I have ever bought a warranty for
(including two BMWs); I would have lost money on all the other
cars I've bought.

Floyd Rogers
Old February 13th 05, 09:57 PM
Tom Korth

"fbloogyudsr" > wrote in message
> "tech27" > wrote
>> I've never found any "extended" warranties worth the cost.

> I agree in almost every way with this statement.
> I will attest that in two cases - and only those two cases - among
> the 6 new and one one-year old car I've bought, they saved me
> money.
>
> 1) '87 Isuzu Trooper. I loved the car, but they front brake calipers
> were poorly designed and/or built, and would seize up. I went
> through 4-5 before 100K miles; also a rear differential (!!!???) at 50K.
>
> 2) The first ('91) Dodge Caravan I bought had both the transmission
> and engine go before 100K miles. When I bought the 2nd in '99
> (they're very useful cars) I bought a 100K warranty. It really helped
> sell the car last year with about 15K left, and helped me get top
> dollar.
>
> Those are the only two cars I have ever bought a warranty for
> (including two BMWs); I would have lost money on all the other
> cars I've bought.

Agreed. I bought one warranty back in the late 70's for $260.00 and the
$500.00 A/C repair was 50% covered. I consider myself lucky & prefer not to
tempt fate again!

Tom

Old February 13th 05, 10:45 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article io.net>,
tech27 > wrote:
> I've never found any "extended" warranties worth the cost.

They only are if you're *very* unlucky with your vehicle - or really,
really, really, need partial peace of mind - because it's unlikely to be
total with many ordinary faults or breakdowns.

They are all insurance policies and exist to make a profit for the issuing
company. Which means it can't pay out what it gets in in income. Only the
very best charities do near this, and insurance is anything but as good.
The worse may only pay out 10% of income on claims.

As you'd say in your country, go figure...

--
*The average person falls asleep in seven minutes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 14th 05, 07:13 AM
Jeff Mayner

tech27 wrote:
> I've never found any "extended" warranties worth the cost. Instead, I
> take my BMW to a qualified technician (at one the owner is a former
> BMW service manager, at the other they are a Dinan dealer), and have
> him go over the car inside out, then take the car to BMW for repair
> while the warranty is still in effect.
> One time they found a fault code and traced it to the alternator
> which, while working perfectly ok, was not charging within the
> acceptable parameters. BMW replaced it with no questions asked. Would the
> have found this on their own? Maybe. But I'm much more
> confident when I pay an independent technician to "find absolutely
> every little thing that is not right".
>
> Has worked well for me.

I've done such as this, in the past, with some success. I wonder though if I
wasn't sometimes getting something fixed that didn't really need to be
"fixed". Kinda like those new "Whole Body Scans" that were the rage a year
or two ago. ;-)

Jeff

Old February 15th 05, 01:06 AM
tech27

"Jeff Mayner" > wrote in message
> tech27 wrote:
>> I've never found any "extended" warranties worth the cost. Instead, I
>> take my BMW to a qualified technician (at one the owner is a former
>> BMW service manager, at the other they are a Dinan dealer), and have
>> him go over the car inside out, then take the car to BMW for repair
>> while the warranty is still in effect.
>> One time they found a fault code and traced it to the alternator
>> which, while working perfectly ok, was not charging within the
>> acceptable parameters. BMW replaced it with no questions asked. Would the
>> have found this on their own? Maybe. But I'm much more
>> confident when I pay an independent technician to "find absolutely
>> every little thing that is not right".
>>
>> Has worked well for me.

> I've done such as this, in the past, with some success. I wonder though if
> I wasn't sometimes getting something fixed that didn't really need to be
> "fixed". Kinda like those new "Whole Body Scans" that were the rage a year
> or two ago. ;-)
>
> Jeff

I don't get your point. The independent gave me list of things that should
be fixed, and they were fixed under warranty.

Treo 650 crashes when bluetoothing to 2005 BMW 330ci [email protected] BMW 8 February 20th 05 04:02 AM
BMW 5 Series end of warrantee Suggestions George Johnston BMW 9 February 16th 05 03:43 AM
questions on oil consumption 2002 330ci and all 3 liter owners WEisserer BMW 12 November 9th 04 05:29 PM
BMW 330ci Raffle BMW 0 October 24th 04 10:55 PM
2001 M3 vs. 330ci as used car buy GRL BMW 9 September 24th 04 09:18 PM