Classic example of car buying scam

Old December 29th 04, 11:58 PM
Sixty8kr

Default Classic example of car buying scam

Hi All,
I hope everyone is up on the money order/check mailed to you to buy your car
scam. Here is a great example of one trying to buy our 68 Coupe we have for
sale:

Begin Quote:
Thanks for the detail please could you send me the picture of the car, i
bank on you for the working condition of the car, as regard to the payment
and delivery of the car, A check will be sent to you in the amount of
$17,300 but mind you, you are going to deduct the amount of the car which is
$11,000 as soon as you received the payment and wire the excess funds of
$6,300 through western union money transfer to my freight cargo company in
Miami Florida that will be responsible for the pick up immediately two of
you i.e (you and the cargo company) agree on a convenience day and time for
the pick up to be carry out in the location where the property is.
The name of the senior officer i.e. Accountant that you will send the
funds in care will be sent to you as soon as you confirm recepit of the
payment.confirm this and forward your FULL NAME, ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER so
that the payment can be delivered to you as soon as possible, Thanks God
bless

Sixty8kr > wrote:
Betty,
Bottom dollar is $11000 and the motor is a 289 bored 30 over. As for the
condition, if you would like some pictures I can send some your way.

Thanks,
Chris
Old December 30th 04, 12:33 AM
Backyard Mechanic

Wonder what would happen if you insisted they reverse that process... send
the check to the freighter and have him pay you cash on pickup.

Bwa-ha-ha!

Sixty8kr opined in :

Old December 30th 04, 01:15 AM
Sixty8kr

I sort of did that. I told(wrote), send your representitive with $11000
cash and they an take immediate delivery of the car. I havent received a
response yet, but somehow I don't think I'll be getrting one.

Old December 30th 04, 08:42 PM
WindsorFox[SS]

Sixty8kr wrote:

> Hi All,
> I hope everyone is up on the money order/check mailed to you to buy your car
> scam. Here is a great example of one trying to buy our 68 Coupe we have for
> sale:

You are going to drive over there after you get the check, right?

--
YOU are the real piece of work in this post. I think you are
a couple of drumsticks short of a picnic there bud. - SVTKate
Old December 31st 04, 07:10 AM
Mark

I don't get it. You wouldn't wire money anywhere until you had the full
amount plus, agreed on sitting free and clear in your account, right?

Old December 31st 04, 08:10 AM
Dana H. Myers

Mark wrote:
> I don't get it. You wouldn't wire money anywhere until you had the full
> amount plus, agreed on sitting free and clear in your account, right?

No, you wouldn't wire the money even then. That's exactly how the
scam works; you cash the "certified check", wire the balance to someone
else, and a week or two later the bank discovers the certified check
was phony, and debits your account the amount of the check. You're left
holding the bag.

From http://www.fbi.gov/cyber/cysweep/cysweep1.htm:

> Counterfeit Check Schemes
>
> A counterfeit or fraudulent cashier’s check or corporate check is utilized to
> pay for merchandise. Often these checks are made out for a substantially
> larger amount than the purchase price. The victims are instructed to
> deposit the check and return the overage amount, usually by wire transfer,
> to a foreign country. Because banks may release funds from a cashier's
> check before the check actually clears, the victim believes the check has
> cleared and wires the money as instructed. One popular variation of this
> scam involves the purchase of automobiles listed for sale in various Internet
> classified advertisements. The sellers are contacted about purchasing the
> autos and shipping them to a foreign country. The buyer, or person acting
> on behalf of a buyer, then sends the seller a cashier's check for an amount
> several thousand dollars over the price of the vehicle. The seller is directed
> to deposit the check and wire the excess back to the buyer so they can pay the
> shipping charges. Once the money is sent, the buyer typically comes up with
> an excuse for canceling the purchase, and attempts to have the rest of the
> money returned. Although the seller does not lose the vehicle, he is typically
> held responsible by his bank for depositing a counterfeit check.

Dana
Old December 31st 04, 04:35 PM
Mark

What if you waited the appropriate amount of time for the check to clear
before wiring any money off.

Old December 31st 04, 05:40 PM
Paul

at 31 Dec 2004, Mark ] wrote in

> What if you waited the appropriate amount of time for the check to
> clear before wiring any money off.

That would be 3 to 4 weeks. Which is how I would do it. But chances are
99.99% that the check won't clear anyway...

--
_ 1995 Mustang V6 Coupe (Bright Blue)
|_| Member Modern Mustangs of North America (MMNA)

Old December 31st 04, 09:53 PM
XS11E

Paul > wrote in
:

> at 31 Dec 2004, Mark ] wrote in
>
>> What if you waited the appropriate amount of time for the check
>> to clear before wiring any money off.

> That would be 3 to 4 weeks. Which is how I would do it. But
> chances are 99.99% that the check won't clear anyway...

It can be as much as 90 days for a certified or cashier's check to be
determined fraudulent, maybe longer if it's written on a foreign bank.

The scam works because most folks think a week or two is sufficient.

Old December 31st 04, 11:21 PM
Spike

And if the check doesn't clear, the seller ends up responsible to the
bank for the loss.

When I sold my 66 FB, I had such offers from all over. Spelling was
bad in most. Most were overseas. There was no question as to the
price, or even a inquiry for more information regarding condition, nor
request for photos. Then they offer more than I am asking, whether
covering shipping is mentioned or not.

Maybe I have a suspicious nature, but there were alarms going off all
over the place. Then I recalled that the Hemmings home page had an
article covering buying, selling, and scams. I went back and read.
When all the classic symptoms of a scam show up... it's probably not a
duck....

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:40:11 GMT, Paul > wrote:

>at 31 Dec 2004, Mark ] wrote in
>
>> What if you waited the appropriate amount of time for the check to
>> clear before wiring any money off.

>That would be 3 to 4 weeks. Which is how I would do it. But chances are
>99.99% that the check won't clear anyway...

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16