91 Civic electrical problems

Old December 14th 04, 09:35 AM
Ropert's Aloha

Default 91 Civic electrical problems

Well I have now replaced my main relay(houses the fuel pump relay) with a
new one from Napa(I had
previously re-soldered all the points) and I replaced the ignition switch
with OEM Honda part. But I still have a problem with the car simply running
great one moment and then the next it's like someone turned off the switch.

I can be driving and the thing just cuts out like the power was turned off
to it. Two years ago it died while driving it and I had to have it towed. At
that time I towed it to a mechanic who replaced the distributor with a
Carquest one. Two years before that, I had myself replaced the igniter when
I had starting problems.

What are the chances the distributor is bad again?? I ran the car tonight
and let it idle and sure enough it died after about 10 minutes. So I pulled
off a plug wire and attached a spark plug to it. Cranked, but definitely NO
SPARK at all.

So do I need another distributor? When I checked the coil with a meter, it
was within the Haynes book numbers. I could just replace the coil and
igniter, but would I be better to replace the whole unit?

There is no Check Engine light. What are the chances the ECU computer is bad
as opposed to a bad distributor??

thanks in advance,

Gary
91 Civic Hatchback 5spd,1500cc,178kmiles
stranded in Hawaii

Old December 14th 04, 01:14 PM
Burt Squareman

"Ropert's Aloha" > wrote

> Well I have now replaced my main relay with a new one from Napa(I had
> previously re-soldered all the points) and I replaced the ignition switch
> with OEM Honda part. But I still have a problem.
> I can be driving and the thing just cuts out like the power was turned off
> to it. Two years ago it died while driving it and I had to have it towed. At
> that time I towed it to a mechanic who replaced the distributor with a
> Carquest one. Two years before that, I had myself replaced the igniter when
> I had starting problems.
> What are the chances the distributor is bad again?? I ran the car tonight
> and let it idle and sure enough it died after about 10 minutes. So I pulled
> off a plug wire and attached a spark plug to it. Cranked, but definitely NO
> SPARK at all.
> So do I need another distributor? When I checked the coil with a meter it
> was within the Haynes book numbers. I could just replace the coil and
> igniter, but would I be better to replace the whole unit?
> What are the chances the ECU computer is bad
> as opposed to a bad distributor?? There is no Check Engine light.
>91 Civic Hatchback 5spd,1500cc,178kmiles stranded in Hawaii. -Gary

Smell any gas on plug? If you smell gas then likely ECU is fine.
So, the problem could be the lack of heat sink grease on the
igniter (probably improperly installed by Carquest) or a hairline
crack on coil. It's probably time for a new distributor, since by
this time I don't believe you mind replacing another expensive
part without a complete diagnose. ECU are reliable but did the
check engine light come on then off normally during the symptoms
or were there any LED code on the ECU box? Is this a DX, a
LX, or an FI?

--
Also, put several groups in one posting.