Something is Seriously Wrong with my Car!

Old September 7th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
zev

Default Something is Seriously Wrong with my Car!

So here is the situation. I have a 91' LX 2.3L 4Cyl that only has 94 K
miles on it. I bought it used and it has had little problems since I
got it. The main one is that it would stall out or shutter when
accellerating out of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. I am your typical starving
student and finally saved up some money to take it in to the shop.

The shop ran some diagnostics on it and the first thing they had to do
was replace the alternator. It wasn't putting out enough voltage or
something like that. Well, after they cleared that up they said that
the computer reported a ton of codes. So they cleared the codes and
when they diagnosed it again it came up with like 10 more codes! So
they call me and tell me that they think they have narrowed it down to
a fritzed out computer that is creating problems out of thin air. They
wanted to send the computer to Florida to get it reprogrammed and what
not but I figured if it is the computer than I can replace it myself
for half the cost.

After I picked it up from the shop, it is going crazy. It shutters and
stalls every time I try to accelterate, and the check engine light goes
on and off randomly. Its way worse than before...it's pretty much
undrivable now. But what I am wondering before I fork out more money
for a computer is if this could be the cause of some sensor rather than
the whole computer itself???

If anyone has had any problems like this or knows anything about the
computer system on a 91 mustang PLEASE help me out! I would appreciate
anything right now.

Thanks alot,

K. Friedline

Old September 7th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
zev

So, I am replying to myself to add a symptom.

The car idles ok. The problem occurs when I put it into gear and
accelerate. As soon as I step on the gas it shudders and eventually
stalls or it decides to catch itself and THEN shudders and stalls. I've
taken it for a few test drives to try and find more symptoms.

The check engine light isn't so random as I thought. I only goes on
when the engine stalls but what is weird is that the airbag light also
comes on sometimes too...

Old September 7th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Chuck (in SC)

On 6 Sep 2006 20:03:43 -0700, "zev" > wrote:

>So here is the situation. I have a 91' LX 2.3L 4Cyl that only has 94 K
>miles on it. I bought it used and it has had little problems since I
>got it. The main one is that it would stall out or shutter when
>accellerating out of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. I am your typical starving
>student and finally saved up some money to take it in to the shop.
>
>The shop ran some diagnostics on it and the first thing they had to do
>was replace the alternator. It wasn't putting out enough voltage or
>something like that. Well, after they cleared that up they said that
>the computer reported a ton of codes. So they cleared the codes and
>when they diagnosed it again it came up with like 10 more codes! So
>they call me and tell me that they think they have narrowed it down to
>a fritzed out computer that is creating problems out of thin air. They
>wanted to send the computer to Florida to get it reprogrammed and what
>not but I figured if it is the computer than I can replace it myself
>for half the cost.
>
>After I picked it up from the shop, it is going crazy. It shutters and
>stalls every time I try to accelterate, and the check engine light goes
>on and off randomly. Its way worse than before...it's pretty much
>undrivable now. But what I am wondering before I fork out more money
>for a computer is if this could be the cause of some sensor rather than
>the whole computer itself???
>
>If anyone has had any problems like this or knows anything about the
>computer system on a 91 mustang PLEASE help me out! I would appreciate
>anything right now.
>
>Thanks alot,
>
>K. Friedline

IF the shop is saying it's the computer BECAUSE the codes are from ten
different things.. like egr, fuel pressure, ten unrelated items..
yeah.. I'd say it was a bad computer too..
Old September 7th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article .com>, zev wrote:

> After I picked it up from the shop, it is going crazy. It shutters and
> stalls every time I try to accelterate, and the check engine light goes
> on and off randomly. Its way worse than before...it's pretty much
> undrivable now. But what I am wondering before I fork out more money
> for a computer is if this could be the cause of some sensor rather than
> the whole computer itself???

Check the condition of the battery. It may have shorted/blow cell or
three.

If it checks out, I would suggest getting a computer from a junkyard.
Shouldn't be too much at a self-serve and seeing if it makes a
difference.

Old September 7th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dr. Moria

"zev" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> So, I am replying to myself to add a symptom.
>
> The car idles ok. The problem occurs when I put it into gear and
> accelerate. As soon as I step on the gas it shudders and eventually
> stalls or it decides to catch itself and THEN shudders and stalls. I've
> taken it for a few test drives to try and find more symptoms.
>
> The check engine light isn't so random as I thought. I only goes on
> when the engine stalls but what is weird is that the airbag light also
> comes on sometimes too...

clean the air idle bypass with carb cleaner, it is like a cylinder bolted to
the throttle body on the front side. That should fix it.
It sets the idle and can stick when accelleratering and the car bogs or
stalls.

Old September 8th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Backyard Mechanic

"Dr. Moria" > wrote:

> "zev" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> So, I am replying to myself to add a symptom.
>>
>> The car idles ok. The problem occurs when I put it into gear and
>> accelerate. As soon as I step on the gas it shudders and eventually
>> stalls or it decides to catch itself and THEN shudders and stalls.
>> I've taken it for a few test drives to try and find more symptoms.
>>
>> The check engine light isn't so random as I thought. I only goes on
>> when the engine stalls but what is weird is that the airbag light
>> also comes on sometimes too...
>>

> clean the air idle bypass with carb cleaner, it is like a cylinder
> bolted to the throttle body on the front side. That should fix it.
> It sets the idle and can stick when accelleratering and the car bogs
> or stalls.

WRONG

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old September 8th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[SS]

Backyard Mechanic wrote:
> "Dr. Moria" > wrote:
>
>> "zev" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> So, I am replying to myself to add a symptom.
>>>
>>> The car idles ok. The problem occurs when I put it into gear and
>>> accelerate. As soon as I step on the gas it shudders and eventually
>>> stalls or it decides to catch itself and THEN shudders and stalls.
>>> I've taken it for a few test drives to try and find more symptoms.
>>>
>>> The check engine light isn't so random as I thought. I only goes on
>>> when the engine stalls but what is weird is that the airbag light
>>> also comes on sometimes too...
>>>

>> clean the air idle bypass with carb cleaner, it is like a cylinder
>> bolted to the throttle body on the front side. That should fix it.
>> It sets the idle and can stick when accelleratering and the car bogs
>> or stalls.
>>

> WRONG

I didn't read that the first time, that's not just wrong but way
off the scale wrong.

--

I used to have abs. Now, I've just got ab.
One big ol' Ab. - BigSkiff www.titanspot.com

Pyongyang sounds more like the sound effect an ACME catapult makes
as it goes off at precisely the wrong moment for Wile E. Coyote. -
Cadbury Moose
Old September 8th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
zev

Thanks alot for the responses. I feel alot more comfortable changing
out the computer now. I have called around a few pic-a-parts and think
I have found what I am looking for as far as the serial number on the
computer goes.

I'll let you know what happens.

Old September 8th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
SteveG

"WindsorFox[SS]" > wrote in message
> Backyard Mechanic wrote:
>> "Dr. Moria" > wrote:
>>
>>> "zev" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>>> clean the air idle bypass with carb cleaner, it is like a cylinder
>>> bolted to the throttle body on the front side. That should fix it.
>>> It sets the idle and can stick when accelleratering and the car bogs
>>> or stalls.
>>>

>> WRONG
>>

> I didn't read that the first time, that's not just wrong but way off
> the scale wrong.
>
> --

sounds like the bypass to me, clean it with carb cleaner.

What is wrong? TC Simulators 3 November 13th 05 03:50 AM
Psycho drives wrong way on freeway and kills 5 year old girl laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE Driving 5 October 31st 05 07:27 AM
What's wrong with the Chinese? Wrangler Driving 1 September 8th 05 05:46 PM
WHATS WRONG MRMIJO1 Ford Explorer 1 August 16th 05 03:57 AM
Nobody knows what is wrong with my 99 Dodge Avenger v6 LadyGelzer04 Dodge 14 May 22nd 04 04:13 AM