black paint maintenance?

Old January 15th 04, 01:43 AM
4000 psi

Default black paint maintenance?

my jet black vehicle has developed some hair-like scratches most likely from
washing, etc. ... are there any effective compounds that can buff this kind
of scratch out? any suggestions would be appreciated ...

Old January 15th 04, 02:25 AM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Roughly 1/14/04 17:43, 4000 psi's monkeys randomly typed:

> my jet black vehicle has developed some hair-like scratches most likely from
> washing, etc. ... are there any effective compounds that can buff this kind
> of scratch out? any suggestions would be appreciated ...

Sometimes a paste wax may have enough buffing compound to work,
particularly if you carefully clean and then use cleaning clay.

Otherwise, buffing compound used extremely carefully, particularly
if you have a clearcoat. I'd suggest asking a good local custom
bodyshop or a detailer for advice, or have the detailer do it
for you, as this is an excellent way to create the need for an
expensive paint job.

Old January 15th 04, 02:25 AM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Old January 15th 04, 02:32 AM
4000 psi

> Sometimes a paste wax may have enough buffing compound to work,
> particularly if you carefully clean and then use cleaning clay.

i never heard of this cleaning clay ... what is it and is it available over
the counter?

Old January 15th 04, 02:32 AM
4000 psi

Old January 15th 04, 03:30 AM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Roughly 1/14/04 18:32, 4000 psi's monkeys randomly typed:

>> Sometimes a paste wax may have enough buffing compound to work,
>> particularly if you carefully clean and then use cleaning clay.
>>

> i never heard of this cleaning clay ... what is it and is it available over
> the counter?

Yes. Is sometimes called detailing clay. If you buy it, make
sure you get a kit with the lube for the stuff. Basically
just a bar of clay and a spray of very light soap/detergent
as a lube. AFTER you thoroughly wash your car and then use
a cleaner to remove any noticeable tar, tree sap, bird doodoo.
Then you spray a bit of the soapy liquid on the paint and rub
it with the clay bar. Fold the dirty area of the bar into the
innards of the bar and repeat across the entire vehicle surface.

If you get the tiniest amount of crud imbedded in the clay [or
just drop it] throw it out and get another bar.

Old January 15th 04, 03:30 AM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Old January 23rd 04, 01:51 AM
davefr

They're called swirl marks. Try Maguires Swirl Remover and if that's
not aggresive enough then try their Dual Action Polish.

Use only microfiber toweling.

The other poster is clueless. Wax does not contain buffing compound.
Some cleaner/wax products do howver contain very mild microabrasives.

Go to www.autopia.com. That's where professional detailers hang out.

Old January 23rd 04, 01:51 AM
davefr

Old March 12th 04, 12:27 AM
Jeff Warnat

Take a look at www.zainobros.com. I'd recommend the clay bar and
scratch/swirl remover. I've had black trucks and cars that looked awesome
after using their products.
-Jeff