2000 LS won't start

Old March 15th 05, 11:22 PM
3valve

Default 2000 LS won't start

Hi. I haven't found the exact symptoms I'm experiencing on this site,
so I'm posting my own question.
My 2000 Saturn LS won't start. The battery appears to be fine. The
lights are bright, the stereo is loud. But when I turn the key I just
hear a single click sound in the engine compartment, on the right side
near the windshield if you're facing the car head on. There is no
"cranking" sound whatsoever. It doesn't sound like it's trying to start
at all. I have the clutch in all the way (it's a manual), but maybe the
car doesn't know this.
Any thoughts?

Old March 16th 05, 02:00 PM
jdoe

You may have a bad starter solenoid which would explain the click.
Larry
ups.com...

Old March 16th 05, 03:05 PM
jdl

Have you tried getting a jump from another vehicle, you know using jumper
cables? Will it start with a jump? If you leave the dome-lite on and turn
the key to start, is there any reaction from the dome-lite, stays the
same, goes out?

Old March 16th 05, 08:19 PM
3valve

Thanks for all the good ideas. In the mean time I called a local
mechanic. He said the battery had gotten bad enough that it could not
turn over the starter even though it could pass on enough electricity
to operate the lights, radio, etc. I tested 12 volts with my volt
meter. The guy I talked to said I needed a load reader in order to
test the battery correctly, that my volt meter wasn't good enough.
Because the battery was bad (couldn't generate enough load), I couldn't
even jump it (as the battery needs to be good to jump a car because the
jumper juice goes through the old battery?). I followed his advise and
got a new battery and the car started right up.

2000 Chevy Express won't start, help! Bushleague Technology 3 April 7th 05 05:52 PM
2000 intrepid 2.7 cranks wont start Spitball Dodge 0 February 25th 05 02:07 PM
Unable to Start Camry LE 2000 skewe Technology 2 February 6th 05 06:29 PM
2000 E320 cold start dren BMW 0 January 18th 05 12:49 AM
2000 Civic LX hard to start, no spark at all. Alan Russell Honda 15 November 2nd 04 12:01 PM