Torsion tool for spring plates

Old October 16th 04, 02:57 AM
Dane Tyler

Default Torsion tool for spring plates

Hey guys,

I'm gonna change out my spring plate bushings on my '69 Bug this
weekend, and was wondering, is it better to use the jack and chain, or
the torsion tool?

This all started when my axle shaft wouldn't come out of the trailing
arm during rear bearing replacement, despite a sledgehammer and then I
even tried heat. Anyway I found a good used trailing arm and replaced
the rubber bushings and rear wheel bearings. I figured since I already
had the rear suspension torn apart, that I may as well replace the
spring plate bushings (the rear wheels sit at an angle, negative camber,
when on the ground, but when the rear is raised, they straighten up).
So, I was looking for some advice on the rear spring plates, to use a
torsion tool or not...

And another question--the outer bearing on my good used trailing was
seated pretty firmly in the housing, yet the bearing on my other
trailing arm fell right out.....is that a problem, maybe a worn bearing
housing in the trailing arm??

Ok, sorry for all the questions, thanks for any advice!

Dane Tyler
'69 Bug
'63 Bug

why do people pay for these plates??? AZGuy Driving 8 January 20th 05 03:41 PM
Torsion Bars 94 Dakota Dodge 2 October 21st 04 10:51 PM
Torsion tool for spring plates Dane Tyler VW air cooled 3 October 17th 04 01:08 PM
License Plates - Antiques, porcelains. many more PL8Seditor Antique cars 0 January 26th 04 01:54 AM