1995 Passport - Overheating after Timing belt tensioner change -- belts removal/installation

Old December 8th 04, 04:16 AM
ajpdla

Default 1995 Passport - Overheating after Timing belt tensioner change -- belts removal/installation

I think I'm overheating because the alternator belt is too loose. Is this a
correct assumption, or is it one of the other two belts under the hood?

Unfortunately, it's raining like a mother here (Oregon) tonight, with 75mph
winds to boot. So I have time to ask for advice.

Aaron

Old December 8th 04, 04:29 AM
TCS

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:16:27 -0800, ajpdla > wrote:
>I think I'm overheating because the alternator belt is too loose. Is this a
>correct assumption, or is it one of the other two belts under the hood?

>Unfortunately, it's raining like a mother here (Oregon) tonight, with 75mph
>winds to boot. So I have time to ask for advice.

Only a slipping belt connected to the water pump can make a car overheat.

Alternater belt slippage would cause charging problems
AC belt slippage would only squeal while the AC is running.

Timing belt off a tooth could make car overheat as it was have some interesting
effects on valve timing and possibly ignition timing.

Old December 8th 04, 04:48 AM
ajpdla

"TCS" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:16:27 -0800, ajpdla > wrote:
>>I think I'm overheating because the alternator belt is too loose. Is this
>>correct assumption, or is it one of the other two belts under the hood?

>>Unfortunately, it's raining like a mother here (Oregon) tonight, with
>>75mph
>>winds to boot. So I have time to ask for advice.

> Only a slipping belt connected to the water pump can make a car overheat.
>
> Alternater belt slippage would cause charging problems
> AC belt slippage would only squeal while the AC is running.
>
> Timing belt off a tooth could make car overheat as it was have some
> interesting
> effects on valve timing and possibly ignition timing.

I am unsure as to whether the alternator belt also has anything to do with
the water pump. But I did have to take off all three belts (power steering,
AC, alternator) to get at the timing belt tensioner. Did not replace the
timing belt at all, just removed the tensioner and replaced with new one.
Timing belt never went slack enough to jump teeth.

Also, the car only seems to overheat while at idle. I noticed it on the way
home (6 miles). When I was driving the temp gauge read lower than when I
arrived at my driveway and idled, whereupon it went right to red.

All I need now is the rain to stop long enough for me to deal with it.
That won't happen, though, as we get 120+ inches a year here; so we're in
for it for the next few days.

Thanks.

Aaron

Old December 8th 04, 04:57 AM
TCS

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:48:48 -0800, ajpdla > wrote:

>Also, the car only seems to overheat while at idle. I noticed it on the way
>home (6 miles). When I was driving the temp gauge read lower than when I
>arrived at my driveway and idled, whereupon it went right to red.

ah hah! fan belt! I forgot about them; it's been so long since I had a car
that had one.

Sounds like there isn't enough air moving through the radiator when you're
stopped. If you've an electric fan, make sure it comes on.

Sounds like it shooting to red a bit too fast; wiring short?

>All I need now is the rain to stop long enough for me to deal with it.
>That won't happen, though, as we get 120+ inches a year here; so we're in
>for it for the next few days.

Have you ever replaced the thermostat? If you haven't and the car is more than
6 years old, then do it just for the hell of it. They're cheap and it may
solve your problem.

Old December 8th 04, 04:58 AM
motsco_ _

ajpdla wrote:
> I think I'm overheating because the alternator belt is too loose. Is this a
> correct assumption, or is it one of the other two belts under the hood?
>
> Unfortunately, it's raining like a mother here (Oregon) tonight, with 75mph
> winds to boot. So I have time to ask for advice.
>
> Aaron

------------------------

Why not tell us the whole story, and what symptoms you have now? We'll
tell you OUR assumptions instead :-)

'Curly'

Old December 8th 04, 06:50 AM
Steve