Vacuum Hoses PICT30

Old April 27th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Vacuum Hoses PICT30

My '73 Super has a 1600DP with a Pict30/31 carb. I have some rough
acceleration when the weather is cool. I don't think my preheater is
working properly. I found a picture of the vacuum hoses for a PICT34
on a '73 at Rob & Dave's website. According to my understanding from
the site, I need the 2 outlets on the stock paper air cleaner hooked up
to get the proper preheating. I have the right hose hooked up to the
Air Preheat Regulator Valve as shown. I need to install a hose for the
left outlet, which is shown to a vacuum port in the intake manifold.
The problem is my intake manifold has no such port. I do have 2 other
ports in the carb itself. Can I use one of these ports instead?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Old April 27th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Houdsie wrote:
> My '73 Super has a 1600DP with a Pict30/31 carb. I have some rough
> acceleration when the weather is cool. I don't think my preheater is
> working properly. I found a picture of the vacuum hoses for a PICT34
> on a '73 at Rob & Dave's website. According to my understanding from
> the site, I need the 2 outlets on the stock paper air cleaner hooked up
> to get the proper preheating. I have the right hose hooked up to the
> Air Preheat Regulator Valve as shown. I need to install a hose for the
> left outlet, which is shown to a vacuum port in the intake manifold.
> The problem is my intake manifold has no such port. I do have 2 other
> ports in the carb itself. Can I use one of these ports instead?
> Thanks in advance for any help.

No, you need full vacuum from the manifold to operate the
vacuum diaphragm.

Don't forget that the manifold heat (smaller pipe under manifold)
is necessary to vaporize raw fuel dumped in during acceleration.
Without it you get stumbling and hesitation.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old April 27th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

" I need to install a hose for the
left outlet, which is shown to a vacuum port in the intake manifold.
The problem is my intake manifold has no such port. I do have 2 other
ports in the carb itself. Can I use one of these ports instead? "

No you can't use the ports on the carb, but what you might have instead
is a port on the end of the dual port casting on one side. If you have
such a port you can use it for this purpose although running the line
that far will probably be a bit of an eyesore. Your other option is to
find an intake manifold center section that has the port for the
preheat system installed.

Make sure the pre-heat tube isn't plugged up. You can test it by
touching it if you are careful, or you can try to spritz it with some
water with the engine fully warmed up. It needs to be HOT. If it's just
warm it is plugged up. You need to fix that as well to ensure good
performance.

Chris

Old April 27th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

....and don't forget to check the flap inside the air filter. Mine was
broken so the car was always sucking cool air even with all pipes on.

Joćo

Old April 27th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Old April 28th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Thanks guys! I'll take a closer look at things this weekend.