unbelievable

Old March 6th 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default unbelievable

unbelievable! I just towed a friends disabled old 4.3L S10 from
a couple towns away to his relatives barn with my old '93 Saturn
wagon(without incident thank God!). Can't get over it. Some
people urged me to forget even trying it. Said it would wreck my
tranny. Now I want to get a trailer hitch for this car, just for
light, occasional, short distance hauling, via a small light
weight trailer. Anyone have recommendations as to who's trailer
hitches are best for Saturn wagons? Thanks for any info in
advance....
Old March 6th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

....S Series are rated at about 1,000 lbs IIRC - what did you wrap the tow
straps or chains around since you mention you're interested in looking for a
hitch? (just curious)

Old March 7th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

cool, the 1.9 shows it's strength again!

A friend bragged once to me that he towed his broken down F150 with a SL1
(at slow speeds Im sure).

1.9L is capable of towing 1000lbs. The retailer installed hitch is the way
to go for that car.

marx404

Old March 9th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

wrapped a tow rope around the whole rear axle. Went real slow
and easy and picked roads where there were no serious hills,
little traffic, and few stops. Once we got out of the main town,
it was pretty much cutting through a bunch of back roads. Feel
sorry for the guy who was in a hurry back there, he got
impatient with our speed and decided to pass us on a double
solid line just before a slight incline ahead of us and got
caught by a state trooper coming the other way and he got nailed
for it. I thought we were going to get it - a big whew and sigh
of relief when the the state boy u-turned and passed us by to go
for the other guy who passed us. Couldn't believe that one
either. Definitely do not want to do this again, at least not
without a proper hitch. Too nerve wracking.

Old March 9th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Any idea of what a dealer would charge for the one they install?
Just curious....

Old March 9th 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Its dealer specific, whatever the cost of parts and labor. Call the parts
dept, theyll be able to tell you.

marx404

Old March 9th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

....you guys had some angels watching over you this day - I'm guessing
because the other vehicle was rolling there was less stress on your wagon.
If it was stuck in the mud, etc, I get a visual of you pulling the whole
rear suspension right off of the car. When I looked into a hitch (when I
had a 97SL2) it looks like it bolts to the trunk floor. You could probably
call your local U-Haul and ask what they charge for the hitch and install.
My old Saturn dealer was my fave for service for anything - but service
quality seems to vary between dealers quite a bit based on posts I've read
over the years...

PS: Did you crawl back under the wagon and look for bent or loose parts?
(just curious)

Old March 10th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

We were lucky and also the guy steering his truck, being towed,
was really good about handling that part of it, quite skillfully
actually. Most of the trip was just rolling along as the route
picked allowed us to take it pretty easy. I still do not intend
to do this again, at least like that, and will at least get a
proper hitch in the near future. Everything underneath looks OK
and it just passed inspection this last week, after the tow
episode. I looked at the wagon while up on the lift. Looks OK
with no damage done. It was all clear and dry pavement, no mud.

If the dealer hitch just bolts to the floor of the trunk, I can
do that myself. I'll have to stop at the dealer to look into it
further.

Old March 10th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

....at http://www.hitchesonline.com/ I found under Saturn and model Series
found a flat-bar receiver hitch. It says 2000 lbs towing with a 200 lb
tongue weight (I thought it would pull more like 1000). This one is $99.
I've never used the site above or know anything about them - just a quickie
look on the web...

Other than the visuals, I don't know the pros and cons of a flat-bar versus
the square receivers - maybe someone else can comment...