M151 revamped? Is it a Real Jeep?

Old December 30th 05, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default M151 revamped? Is it a Real Jeep?

http://www.jeepnewsnow.com/modules/n...hp?storyid=908

So does this rate as a "Real Jeep"?

Old December 30th 05, 08:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Nope. And if they attempt to call it one, Daimler's nazis would be
on them faster than flies on stink.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old December 31st 05, 09:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Not even close. Even the original M151 was never a Jeep.

Old December 31st 05, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

No way

Fred
85 GW

ups.com...

Old January 2nd 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

In some ways it's better.

Old January 3rd 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:
> Nope. And if they attempt to call it one, Daimler's nazis would be
> on them faster than flies on stink.

Use of the word "jeep" to describe a small four-wheel-drive general
purpose military vehicle far predates any Daimler trademarks and indeed
predates the use of the word to describe the civilian Willys product
sold in the post WWII era.

In other words, if DC attempts to sue over using the word "jeep" to
describe a small four-wheel-drive general purpose military vehicle, they
will *lose*.

- Elron
Old January 3rd 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

L. Ron Waddle wrote:
> L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:
>> Nope. And if they attempt to call it one, Daimler's nazis would be
>> on them faster than flies on stink.

> Use of the word "jeep" to describe a small four-wheel-drive general
> purpose military vehicle far predates any Daimler trademarks and indeed
> predates the use of the word to describe the civilian Willys product
> sold in the post WWII era.
>
> In other words, if DC attempts to sue over using the word "jeep" to
> describe a small four-wheel-drive general purpose military vehicle, they
> will *lose*.
>
> - Elron

True. I drove "jeeps" in the Army, but now I drive "Jeeps" (Liberty and
Wrangler). Notice how I capitalize. Definition: "jeep" "a small durable
motor vehicle with four wheel drive used by the armed forces. [From G.P.
"general purpose"]

--
FRH
Old January 3rd 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

L. Ron Waddle wrote:
> L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:
>
>> Nope. And if they attempt to call it one, Daimler's nazis would be
>> on them faster than flies on stink.

> Use of the word "jeep" to describe a small four-wheel-drive general
> purpose military vehicle far predates any Daimler trademarks and indeed
> predates the use of the word to describe the civilian Willys product
> sold in the post WWII era.

As military slang it predates WWII.

> In other words, if DC attempts to sue over using the word "jeep" to
> describe a small four-wheel-drive general purpose military vehicle, they
> will *lose*.

In the real world, the loser is the one who runs out of money first.
Just because they would eventually lose doesn't mean that they can't
make an example of you and sue you into penury first.

Old January 3rd 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

> In the real world, the loser is the one who runs out of money first.
> Just because they would eventually lose doesn't mean that they can't
> make an example of you and sue you into penury first.

Only thing I'm sure of is that 'penury' sounds painful.

tw
2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton
capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II.
Old January 3rd 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Etymology of "jeep" WAS: M151 revamped? Is it a Real Jeep?

Frank_v7.0 wrote:
> L. Ron Waddle wrote:
>
>> Use of the word "jeep" to describe a small four-wheel-drive general
>> purpose military vehicle far predates any Daimler trademarks and
>> indeed predates the use of the word to describe the civilian Willys
>> product sold in the post WWII era.
>>
>> In other words, if DC attempts to sue over using the word "jeep" to
>> describe a small four-wheel-drive general purpose military vehicle,
>> they will *lose*.

> True. I drove "jeeps" in the Army, but now I drive "Jeeps" (Liberty and
> Wrangler). Notice how I capitalize. Definition: "jeep" "a small durable
> motor vehicle with four wheel drive used by the armed forces. [From G.P.
> "general purpose"]

Hurm. I'm sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine.

You were doing well until that last bit in brackets. The WWII
initialism GP -- as in GPW -- never stood for "general purpose" as is
commonly thought, it was Ford nomenclature for "Government contract" "80
inch wheelbase reconnaissance car" (The W referred to the Willys origin
of the design). See a photo of the Ford manual page that documents this
he
<URL:http://members.aol.com/WW2JeepMBGPW/Photos/JEEPGPnameDoc.jpg>

Further, the Ford/Willys/Bantam 4x4 command and reconnaissance car
wasn't referred to as a "GP" or "general purpose vehicle", but then
neither were the other military vehicles that preceded the MB/GPW that
were /also/ nicknamed "jeeps". This would include YB-17 prototype heavy
bomber in 1937, the artillery tractor built by Minneapolis-Moline in
1937-1940, the 1940 Dodge T202 and T207 1/2-ton command car and a
civilian one-off oil exploration rig built on a Ford base for Haliburton
Oil Well Co in 1938 which wore the name "Jeep" on its sides for a time.
That's a _lot_ of non-GP jeeps. See:
<URL:http://www.geocities.com/jeeptoys/history.htm> for photos and details.

From a dictionary I hold published in 1944 (making it a period cite),
with a special section on "War Words" (notice that it covers a range of
vehicles):
QUOTING_____________________________________
Jeep n. (slang) nickname for the small 1/2 ton and the smaller 1/4 ton
command-reconnaissance car now replacing to a great extent the functions
of the cavalry. Some army outfits distinguish between the two sizes by
calling the smaller vehicles "peeps" and the larger ones are then called
"jeeps." Also called jeep buggy and blitz buggy. See PEEP and SCOUT CAR.

Peep n. nickname for the small 1/4 ton scout or reconnaissance military
motor vehicle which holds and can be lifted by four men, who carry
rifles and a machine gun. It covers rough ground rapidly and has a
speed of sixty miles per hour on good roads. Also called bantam,
midget, or son of a jeep. See JEEP and SCOUT CAR.

Scout car n. a small, light, partially armored auto -- with great
cross-country mobility limited only by unfavorable terrain -- employed
by cavalry for transporting men and weapons and for reconnaissance and
patrol; it carries five men, four machine guns and a radio sending and
receiving set. See JEEP and PEEP.

Sea jeep n. (slang) popular nickname for U.S. Army amphibious armored
motor vehicle -- powered by a gasoline engine, carrying a crew of eight,
and capable of operations on land and in water -- being used especially
to force river crossings. Official name: Aqua Cheetah.

UNQUOTING___________________________________

And then there were the 127 USN "jeep carriers", small, slow, inelegant,
unarmored light aircraft carriers built on merchant hull designs (or
conversions of existing merchant hulls), none of which were called "GP"
or "general purpose" and weren't used to transport Jeeps. See:
<URL:http://www.navy.mil/palib/ships/carriers/cv-escrt.html>

That the name Jeep is associated somehow with Seagar's Eugene the Jeep
is undeniable and documented, although it is suggested that the word
"jeep" may have already existed in slang as a term for anything small or
odd. Go ahead and say that the word comes from Eugene, I won't
complain. But please don't repeat that folklore about "General
Purpose". It may sound good to the ear but there's no evidence for it
and a lot of evidence against it.

YJ Breaks down - Bad Triple AAA Experience. Lou Boncek Jeep 9 December 18th 05 10:55 PM
Req: Some advice on buying a Jeep billy ray Jeep 2 December 16th 05 02:42 PM
Look Bill... Real Jeep JimG Jeep 14 February 26th 05 05:16 PM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 02:22 PM
Chrysler to show Jeep pickup and "FirePower" sports car concepts inDetroit MoPar Man Chrysler 4 December 10th 04 07:45 PM