1998 Jeep Wrangler wiper problems

Old July 25th 05, 02:07 AM

Default 1998 Jeep Wrangler wiper problems

The wipers on my 1998 Jeep Wrangler stopped working altogether. They
then began working only after the vehicle had warmed up for a few
minutes but only if you put the wipers on high. Then they would work on
all three speeds. I replaced the wiper motor, and everything worked
fine for about 5 minutes then the wipers stopped completely and now
they don't work at all. I've checked the fuse which is good, all the
wiring on the new motor, all the connections, I even pulled the switch
inside apart, to no avail.
If anyone can shed any light on this problem and offer a possible
solution I would be greatly appreciative. You can post a reply here or
email any suggestions to
Thanks in advance, I hope to get this resolved quickly.

Old July 26th 05, 04:42 AM
Stephen Cowell

> wrote in message =
oups.com...
> The wipers on my 1998 Jeep Wrangler stopped working altogether. They
> then began working only after the vehicle had warmed up for a few
> minutes but only if you put the wipers on high.=20

The battery has built up reserve then... sounds
voltage related.

> Then they would work on
> all three speeds.=20

After breaking them loose, I'm guessing. =20

> I replaced the wiper motor, and everything worked
> fine for about 5 minutes then the wipers stopped completely and now
> they don't work at all.=20

When you had the motor out, did you check
the wiper shafts for binding? No problems?
You're not using 5-blade wipers, are you?

> I've checked the fuse which is good, all the
> wiring on the new motor, all the connections, I even pulled the switch
> inside apart, to no avail.
> If anyone can shed any light on this problem and offer a possible
> solution I would be greatly appreciative. You can post a reply here or
> email any suggestions to
> Thanks in advance, I hope to get this resolved quickly.

Yes, don't we all...=20

Check for a voltage drop across a connection...
you can put a voltmeter on the connector at
the motor and watch the voltage when you
turn it on... you should see close to the full
battery voltage across it. My guess is you'll
see much less... if so, then start checking
connectors all the way back until you find the
voltage drop. I'll bet it's on the ground side...
good luck.
__
Steve
..

Old July 26th 05, 04:52 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

at the very bottom of your fuse block is a spot in the middle for a wiper
circuit breaker. Its not labeled at all, but your owners manual may show it.
Its rated at 5.5a or something like that. If you replaced the fuse labeled
RRwiper, thats for the rear wipers, not the windshield wipers. The fronts
don't have a fuse, it's a circuit breaker, that will auto reset. Sounds like
this is bad. It sort of looks like a can of spam or something. I just
replaced mine with a 5 amp fuse........give it a shot......it's either weak,
or a short in the system might be tripping it.....
let me know what you find.....