Remove, or not remove that is the question (Air Silencer)

Old May 18th 05, 10:52 PM
AW

Default Remove, or not remove that is the question (Air Silencer)

Anyone have an opinion on removing the silencer from a 99-03(4) GT?

I have read where you gain nothing, +5 RWHP, and -5 RWHP. I went ahead and
pulled mine off the other day, and I swear that while she's louder she
feels a little more sluggish. Now I'm wondering if I should put it back on
again. I'm running a K&N in her, which I put in probably 7K miles ago.
Old May 19th 05, 05:22 AM
  whose ya daddy 96@ yahoo.com

On Wed, 18 May 2005 21:52:05 GMT, AW > wrote:

>Anyone have an opinion on removing the silencer from a 99-03(4) GT?
>
>I have read where you gain nothing, +5 RWHP, and -5 RWHP. I went ahead and
>pulled mine off the other day, and I swear that while she's louder she
>feels a little more sluggish. Now I'm wondering if I should put it back on
>again. I'm running a K&N in her, which I put in probably 7K miles ago.

no it is designed for maximum flow
its job is to reduce noise

hurc ast
Old May 19th 05, 10:29 PM
WraithCobra

Hot under hood air will cause a drop in power. Put it back on, mark where it
goes through the inner fender and cut it off a 1/4 inch past the mark. The
opening will be much larger and it will still pull in cooler air from the
fender.
--
Mike
Silver 10th Anniversary Cobra Coupe

Old May 20th 05, 12:07 AM
AW

On Thu, 19 May 2005 17:29:21 -0400, WraithCobra wrote:

> Hot under hood air will cause a drop in power. Put it back on, mark where it
> goes through the inner fender and cut it off a 1/4 inch past the mark. The
> opening will be much larger and it will still pull in cooler air from the
> fender.

That's what I was thinking of doing. I did exactly that with my last one
too. I think I'll hit a junk yard and pick up another silencer to cut so I
can leave the original alone though. :-)
Old May 20th 05, 02:30 AM
WindsorFox[SS]

WraithCobra wrote:
> Hot under hood air will cause a drop in power. Put it back on, mark where it
> goes through the inner fender and cut it off a 1/4 inch past the mark. The
> opening will be much larger and it will still pull in cooler air from the
> fender.

Actually David Lyons proved that inaccurate several years ago when
testing the temp under the hood of his GN. As soon as the car moved more
than five feet the underhood air temp droppedto the same as it was
inside the fender.

--
Well I just tried Pepsi Blue for the first time and thought I
would share my thoughts. As far as the taste... I imagine this is
Old May 20th 05, 03:38 AM
WraithCobra

I removed it in the '98 GT I owned when I lived in south Florida. After a
long hot day in the parking lot at work it got mighty damn hot under the
hood. After I removed it, every day after work the car ran and idled like
crap for 15 minutes until I got to the highway and the airflow was enough to
bring the under hood temps down. I put the cut version back in and the after
work problems were cured. That is my experience with no silencer and high
under hood temps. I also cut the one in the '00 GT I owned, but I have an
open filter under the hood of the Cobra.

Old May 20th 05, 05:17 AM
WindsorFox[SS]

WraithCobra wrote:
> I removed it in the '98 GT I owned when I lived in south Florida. After a
> long hot day in the parking lot at work it got mighty damn hot under the
> hood. After I removed it, every day after work the car ran and idled like
> crap for 15 minutes until I got to the highway and the airflow was enough to
> bring the under hood temps down. I put the cut version back in and the after
> work problems were cured. That is my experience with no silencer and high
> under hood temps. I also cut the one in the '00 GT I owned, but I have an
> open filter under the hood of the Cobra.

And you are certain that was not from the radiator fan blowing air
on to the airfilter? It was my experience that when removing the cover
it caused poor idle and low RPM runing. Also, I'm not so sure you would
notice the difference in power when sucking hot air by just driving. I
can not tell a difference one way to the other in my Mustang.

Old May 20th 05, 09:45 PM
WraithCobra

I'm sure it was the hot under hood temps, filter was still incased in the
stock housing so fan wash couldn't have been the trouble. Not only does the
hot air lower the air density, the computer lowers the timing due to the
higher IAT temps. The GN filter may not be in the dead spot behind the light
as in the Mustang. I don't have a link, but I remember a dyno test with an
open filter showing a 3 to 5 HP loss with hood closed vs. hood open. At
lower speeds and in traffic the hot under hood air caused driveability
problems in my '98 GT with out the snorkel to the fender, modifying and
replacing it cured those problems.