Liquid Clay

Old May 17th 05, 03:05 PM
Adrian Gruber

Default Liquid Clay

I'm looking for a shop that sells "Glare Liquid Clay".
My 02 White GT's finish is taking a beating and a car wash attendant said I
need to have my car's finish restored using a clay bar or liquid clay.
Normally I would compound the car but the guy said compounding would affect
the clear coat.
Due to heavy construction on the Florida Turnpike my car suffers from tar
and oil overspray.
Any help finding this product is appreciated.

Old May 17th 05, 03:19 PM
66 6F HCS

"Adrian Gruber" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for a shop that sells "Glare Liquid Clay".
> My 02 White GT's finish is taking a beating and a car wash attendant said
> I need to have my car's finish restored using a clay bar or liquid clay.
> Normally I would compound the car but the guy said compounding would
> affect the clear coat.

Just go buy the Mother's clay bar kit. It comes with the clay bar, the
lubricating spray which is also the detail spray AND a bottle of Mother's
cleaner wax. All for ~$15.I've used it. Very time consuming, but it works
wonders even on extremely oxidized paint. What's cool with clay is you can
actually hear and feel the contaminants coming off the car. Once you don't
hear anything (kinda like sandpaper scraping VERY quietly) the contaminants
are all gone. Move to the next section.
--
Scott W.
'66 HCS Mustang 289

Old May 17th 05, 03:21 PM
IsellJeeps

auto zone napa oreillys they all have it 15-20 bucks it is awesome

"

Old May 17th 05, 04:21 PM
Adrian Gruber

"66 6F HCS" > wrote in message
> "Adrian Gruber" > wrote in message
>> I'm looking for a shop that sells "Glare Liquid Clay".
>> My 02 White GT's finish is taking a beating and a car wash attendant said
>> I need to have my car's finish restored using a clay bar or liquid clay.
>> Normally I would compound the car but the guy said compounding would
>> affect the clear coat.

> Just go buy the Mother's clay bar kit. It comes with the clay bar, the
> lubricating spray which is also the detail spray AND a bottle of Mother's
> cleaner wax. All for ~$15.I've used it. Very time consuming, but it works
> wonders even on extremely oxidized paint. What's cool with clay is you can
> actually hear and feel the contaminants coming off the car. Once you don't
> hear anything (kinda like sandpaper scraping VERY quietly) the
> contaminants are all gone. Move to the next section.

Will do, thanks.

Old May 17th 05, 06:39 PM
SVTKate

You can use something like good old fashioned paint thinner (Lowes, Home
Depot) on tar and it will cut the tar if it's fairly fresh. Might make your
job easier. Follow up with a good wash with Dawn dish soap. This will strip
all the thinner and wax from the car, gets it squeaky clean.

Kate

Old May 17th 05, 06:43 PM
SVTKate

NOTE
I said PAINT thinner - it's oily and will not harm the paint.
DO NOT USE LACQUER THINNER! It will ruin your paint.

Kate

nk.net...

Old May 17th 05, 11:40 PM
66 6F HCS

"SVTKate" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> You can use something like good old fashioned paint thinner (Lowes, Home
> Depot) on tar and it will cut the tar if it's fairly fresh.

Or denatured alcohol, which won't do anything to the paint. paint thinner
shouldn't either, but why take the chance. I use denatured alcohol on my
'69. Still haven't waxed it yet.

Old May 18th 05, 03:16 AM
SVTKate

"66 6F HCS" > wrote in message

| "SVTKate" > wrote in message
| nk.net...
| > You can use something like good old fashioned paint thinner (Lowes, Home
| > Depot) on tar and it will cut the tar if it's fairly fresh.
|
| Or denatured alcohol, which won't do anything to the paint. paint thinner
| shouldn't either, but why take the chance. I use denatured alcohol on my
| '69. Still haven't waxed it yet.

and be sure NOT to smoke or allow any sort of flame anywhere near EITHER of
these two products.

Kate

Old May 18th 05, 03:39 AM
Richard

Are you including the "touchless" high pressure washes as well? I thought
that the old style ones with the rotating brushes and/or felt strips were
all history by now.

--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
4:10 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

Old May 18th 05, 03:44 PM
BK24

"ZombyWoof" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 May 2005 02:39:24 GMT, "Richard" > wrote
> something wonderfully witty:
>
>>Are you including the "touchless" high pressure washes as well? I thought
>>that the old style ones with the rotating brushes and/or felt strips were
>>all history by now.
>>

> All but hand washes, with the appropriate washing liquid are bad
> ju-ju.
> --
> "Either kill me or take me as I am,
> because I'll be damned if I ever change..."
>
> The Marquis de Sade

How is it everything except a handwash is bad?