330xi Info

Old September 28th 04, 07:39 PM
Frank McGirt

Default 330xi Info

We have had 4wd drive vehicles for the past 30 years and are now
considering changing from a suv to an awd as we don't do any more four
wheeling and have moved to an area with less snow.

I am considering buying a 330xi and I would like to hear from owners
about how they like this vehicle. Does it perform well in awd? Any
major problems or maintenance headaches? Would you buy another? And
anything else of interest I would appreciate knowing before I take the
plunge.

Thanks for any responses,

Frank
Old September 28th 04, 09:40 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Frank McGirt" > wrote
> We have had 4wd drive vehicles for the past 30 years and are now
> considering changing from a suv to an awd as we don't do any more four
> wheeling and have moved to an area with less snow.
>
> I am considering buying a 330xi and I would like to hear from owners
> about how they like this vehicle. Does it perform well in awd? Any
> major problems or maintenance headaches? Would you buy another? And
> anything else of interest I would appreciate knowing before I take the
> plunge.

I'm sure that you've googled this group for previous responses; quite a few,
and also many about snow vs. all-season vs. summer tires.

I've got almost 60K miles on my '01 330xi - three winters. I ski (instruct)
about 90 days a year - so I've probably had it in more snow/ice than even
someone from Buffalo. Only problems I've had with it were covered by
the warranty, and were exclusively non-drive-train issues with radio,
seats, etc.

I've only had it stuck once - high-centered on melting compacted snow.

I get 28-30mpg highway, normally around 24.5 city/highway. It uses about
1 quart oil in 5K miles. It's quite powerful and fast (not in the league
with
the NSX it replaced!), almost as fast as my wife's Boxster. Be sure to get
the heated seats.

1) It comes with all-seasons (mine are Conti Sport Contact), which give
it adequate performance in snow.
2) Last winter, I put on a set of 4 Michelin Pilot Alpine tires. The
difference
between snow and all-season tires is as great as the difference between
summer and all-season tires. I went from being able to spin 2-3 tires on
snow to not being able to do so (with TCS off.)
3) Putting on a set of summer tires (I use a set of 325i 8x17" rims and
225/45R17 Michelin Pilot MXM) is the best way to add handling performance
on dry roads - significantly better than the standard 205/50R17 all-seasons.
4) The car is *always* in AWD - I'm sure that you know that, although
your question implied otherwise.
5) The new models with XDrive are likely to be better (due to the locking
center diff) than mine, in the snow.
6) My wife almost bought an X3 (identical mechanicals, more space),
but decided to cheap it out with a Toyota Highlander instead. The main
deciding factor was that she hated the steering (speed-sensitive). Not
sure if it's now standard on 330xi.

BTW, if you want to see flamewars, just ask Audi, bmw and Subaru
groups which system is better. The answer is: it doesn't matter,
they're all good.

Floyd (in Seattle)

Old September 28th 04, 09:56 PM
Frank McGirt

In article >,
"fbloogyudsr" > wrote:

> "Frank McGirt" > wrote
> > We have had 4wd drive vehicles for the past 30 years and are now
> > considering changing from a suv to an awd as we don't do any more four
> > wheeling and have moved to an area with less snow.
> >
> > I am considering buying a 330xi and I would like to hear from owners
> > about how they like this vehicle. Does it perform well in awd? Any
> > major problems or maintenance headaches? Would you buy another? And
> > anything else of interest I would appreciate knowing before I take the
> > plunge.

> I'm sure that you've googled this group for previous responses; quite a few,
> and also many about snow vs. all-season vs. summer tires.
>
> I've got almost 60K miles on my '01 330xi - three winters. I ski (instruct)
> about 90 days a year - so I've probably had it in more snow/ice than even
> someone from Buffalo. Only problems I've had with it were covered by
> the warranty, and were exclusively non-drive-train issues with radio,
> seats, etc.
>
> I've only had it stuck once - high-centered on melting compacted snow.
>
> I get 28-30mpg highway, normally around 24.5 city/highway. It uses about
> 1 quart oil in 5K miles. It's quite powerful and fast (not in the league
> with
> the NSX it replaced!), almost as fast as my wife's Boxster. Be sure to get
> the heated seats.
>
> 1) It comes with all-seasons (mine are Conti Sport Contact), which give
> it adequate performance in snow.
> 2) Last winter, I put on a set of 4 Michelin Pilot Alpine tires. The
> difference
> between snow and all-season tires is as great as the difference between
> summer and all-season tires. I went from being able to spin 2-3 tires on
> snow to not being able to do so (with TCS off.)
> 3) Putting on a set of summer tires (I use a set of 325i 8x17" rims and
> 225/45R17 Michelin Pilot MXM) is the best way to add handling performance
> on dry roads - significantly better than the standard 205/50R17 all-seasons.
> 4) The car is *always* in AWD - I'm sure that you know that, although
> your question implied otherwise.
> 5) The new models with XDrive are likely to be better (due to the locking
> center diff) than mine, in the snow.
> 6) My wife almost bought an X3 (identical mechanicals, more space),
> but decided to cheap it out with a Toyota Highlander instead. The main
> deciding factor was that she hated the steering (speed-sensitive). Not
> sure if it's now standard on 330xi.
>
> BTW, if you want to see flamewars, just ask Audi, bmw and Subaru
> groups which system is better. The answer is: it doesn't matter,
> they're all good.
>
> Floyd (in Seattle)

Thanks for the in-depth reply and I did know some of the stuff you
mentioned but I just wanted to feel better before buying. I didn't
expect quite that much gas mileage as my wife's BMW 530i gets 23-24 but
I expect it is heavier than the 330.

Again thanks for the help,

Frank
Old September 28th 04, 11:36 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Frank McGirt" > wrote
> Thanks for the in-depth reply and I did know some of the stuff you
> mentioned but I just wanted to feel better before buying. I didn't
> expect quite that much gas mileage as my wife's BMW 530i gets 23-24 but
> I expect it is heavier than the 330.

Actually, the 330xi is about the same weight, and generally gets about
1-2mpg
less than a similar 530i (mine is a 5 speed). The 330xi has a higher
numerical final drive to keep the performance about the same as a 330i.

Floyd

Old September 29th 04, 12:16 AM
Tom

Frank McGirt wrote:

> We have had 4wd drive vehicles for the past 30 years and are now
> considering changing from a suv to an awd as we don't do any more four
> wheeling and have moved to an area with less snow.
>
> I am considering buying a 330xi and I would like to hear from owners
> about how they like this vehicle. Does it perform well in awd? Any
> major problems or maintenance headaches? Would you buy another? And
> anything else of interest I would appreciate knowing before I take the
> plunge.
>
> Thanks for any responses,
>
> Frank

I have an 02 330xi with currently about 53k miles on it.
Absolutely wonderful car. Quite fast. Goes well in the
snow, never been stuck (knock on wood). Great track car in
the rain. Beats the crap out of everything with 2-wheel
drive when it's wet. Great track car in the dry,
too....lots of fun. I thought about getting something else
from BMW, but there is nothing I could get that would be
better than what I already have. If they had a 4-door M3xi
I'd jump on it....but they don't (yet).

Buy one, they're a hoot.

What's the BMW advertisement?......world's fastest
snowplow.....believe it.

Tom Allen
St. Louis

http://www.allencg.com/bmw.htm
Old September 29th 04, 03:15 PM
Mike Hayashi

Frank McGirt > wrote in message >...
> [...]

> > 4) The car is *always* in AWD - I'm sure that you know that, although
> > your question implied otherwise.
> > 5) The new models with XDrive are likely to be better (due to the locking
> > center diff) than mine, in the snow.
> > 6) My wife almost bought an X3 (identical mechanicals, more space),
> > but decided to cheap it out with a Toyota Highlander instead. The main
> > deciding factor was that she hated the steering (speed-sensitive). Not
> > sure if it's now standard on 330xi.
> >
> > BTW, if you want to see flamewars, just ask Audi, bmw and Subaru
> > groups which system is better. The answer is: it doesn't matter,
> > they're all good.
> >
> > Floyd (in Seattle)

> Thanks for the in-depth reply and I did know some of the stuff you
> mentioned but I just wanted to feel better before buying. I didn't
> expect quite that much gas mileage as my wife's BMW 530i gets 23-24 but

Here's another Seattle area 330xi owner chiming in.

Mine's a 2002 model year with about 36K miles.
No problems at all.
I checked the computer and it shows 23.9mpg. I don't think I've ever reset it.
For comparison, my 2001 540i 6-speed show 22mpg.

The NAV system is useful but is really bad compared to newer systems on Lexus,
etc.

I haven't had it in snow very much but I had no problems at all with the
little there was even with the original Conti all seasons.
Old September 30th 04, 04:12 AM
Tom Allen

Frank McGirt wrote:

> We have had 4wd drive vehicles for the past 30 years and are now
> considering changing from a suv to an awd as we don't do any more four
> wheeling and have moved to an area with less snow.
>
> I am considering buying a 330xi and I would like to hear from owners
> about how they like this vehicle. Does it perform well in awd? Any
> major problems or maintenance headaches? Would you buy another? And
> anything else of interest I would appreciate knowing before I take the
> plunge.
>
> Thanks for any responses,
>
> Frank

Frank....

Here are a couple of other thoughts regarding the 330xi.....

I drive rather aggressively and have somewhat of a lead
foot...my gas mileage is usually around 18 to 20 mpg in
normal driving and 24 on long highway trips....but I also
got 29 mpg on a less aggressive highway trip. My last car
was an SUV and I was used to 10-11 mpg, so 18 is still a
major improvement.

The AWD on wet roads is outstanding. Don't let anyone try
to convince you that snow tires on a 2wd car will give you
similar traction in the snow....not a chance. You're used
to an awd or 4wd car, so you will probably agree
100%.....it's true on almost any car. But don't forget it
isn't a 4wd pickup or an Excursion with 4 feet of ground
clearance.....in a snow storm you're going to start dragging
ass after 6 or 8 inches accumulate.

The performance of the xi is excellent. Not as good as the
330i (2wd), but still excellent. If that extra half second
going from 0 to 60 makes a big difference to you, get the
330i. But for me the xi is plenty fast. I even have an
automatic which takes away more performance. But compared
to my old Ford Expedition (or anything else I've ever owned
for that matter).....this thing is a rocket.

I, too, have had something with 4wd or awd for the past 30
years which is why I got the xi. I wanted a BMW, didn't
want a SUV and finally decided on the xi.....and am very
glad I did.

I have had very few maintenance problems. A tough
electrical problem at 5,000 miles....turned out to be a
crimped spark plug wire....no problems since. I've had two
torn cv's on the front wheels that caused grease to splatter
around on the wheels. But I think I caused them myself on
an autocross day....replaced under warranty.

Been through lots of tires....in 53k miles I'm on my 4th
set.....track days and aggressive driving eat up tires on
this car. But I'm the cause of it, not the car's fault. If
you buy sticky high performance tires, the wear very
quickly, but they're a hoot to drive on.

I got all three packages...sport, premium and cold
weather....very glad I got all three. Best part of the
sport package are the seats....love them. Premium package,
great leather, gotta have a moonroof, tilt down right side
mirror is great, light sensing rear view mirror is great,
rain sensing wipers are wonderful. Since I ended up putting
so many miles on this car (it has seen its share of these
united states), I wish I had purchased the navigation
system. I had no idea that I would take this car where I
have, so far away from home, so often. I've been totally
lost a few times. Never thought I'd ever use the fold down
rear seats, but I'm amazed at the number of times they have
been very helpful....glad I have them.

I like the xenon's. Very used to them now. When I drive
someone else's car, I can't stand their headlights, seem
very yellow and dim.

The car after 53k miles is still very tight....no
rattles....no shakes....no noises.....none!....still very
quiet when the windows are up.....I commented to a friend
just the other day at how this car maintains it's
"solidness" after 2.5 years of ownership and 53,000 miles.
They're built to last.

And would I buy another?......you betcha!!!!!!!!

It's my favorite toy.

Tom Allen
St. Louis

Old September 30th 04, 02:37 PM
330xi

2001 330xi
Summer performance rubber/winter snows
Ottawa, Canada
never has nad any problems
great drive all year round
you'll never regret it
first car that i have purchased at the end of a lease before i liked it so
much
have had 6 bmw over the last 20 years
currently track a '90 325i
tried other but the drive never compares

Old September 30th 04, 03:57 PM
JP Roberts

> 5) The new models with XDrive are likely to be better (due to the locking
> center diff) than mine, in the snow.

What new models are you talking about that have XDrive? Just the X3 and X5
or is it the new 3 series too?

Old September 30th 04, 04:58 PM
fbloogyudsr

"JP Roberts" > wrote
>> 5) The new models with XDrive are likely to be better (due to the
>> locking
>> center diff) than mine, in the snow.

> What new models are you talking about that have XDrive? Just the X3 and X5
> or is it the new 3 series too?

I may have mis-construed some comments about the 2006 3-series to
apply to current models - I can't find anything that says 2005 models have
xDrive.

Floyd