Question about torque

Old March 7th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Question about torque

Hi:

I just replaced the front pads and rotars on my Saturn '98 SL, with a
great deal of assistance from folks on this list. I just had a question
about the bolts. On each side there were two pairs, one 14mm and one
18mm. The 18mm bolts seemed to have some old locktite on the threads,
but pursuant to some recommendations from this list I replaced the
locktite (after cleaning with brake cleaner) with some nevr sieze
material, and torqued them to 80 ft/lbs. The 14mm bolts were torqued to
40 ft/lbs, but I didn't do anything to the threads. I didn't clean
them, but tried to keep off any dust or grit, and just put them back in
the way they were. We couldn't find any torque specs, so just figured
that was a good first approximation. We're sure we haven't over-torqued
anything, but have we undertorqued? Anyone know the specs for the front
disk bolt assembly? Is nevr sieze OK instead of Locktite? (I know they
have different functions, but figured the nevr sieze would allow more
efficient tightening making the locktite unnecessary.

-Osgood
Old March 8th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

In article <8DoPf.6522$G%2.691@trnddc07>, says...
> Hi:
>
> I just replaced the front pads and rotars on my Saturn '98 SL, with a
> great deal of assistance from folks on this list. I just had a question
> about the bolts. On each side there were two pairs, one 14mm and one
> 18mm. The 18mm bolts seemed to have some old locktite on the threads,
> but pursuant to some recommendations from this list I replaced the
> locktite (after cleaning with brake cleaner) with some nevr sieze
> material, and torqued them to 80 ft/lbs. The 14mm bolts were torqued to
> 40 ft/lbs, but I didn't do anything to the threads. I didn't clean
> them, but tried to keep off any dust or grit, and just put them back in
> the way they were. We couldn't find any torque specs, so just figured
> that was a good first approximation. We're sure we haven't over-torqued
> anything, but have we undertorqued? Anyone know the specs for the front
> disk bolt assembly? Is nevr sieze OK instead of Locktite? (I know they
> have different functions, but figured the nevr sieze would allow more
> efficient tightening making the locktite unnecessary.
>
> -Osgood

No mention of thread locker is used in brake pad replacement.

ABS Control Assembly Brackets Bolts
12 lb ft

ABS Control Assembly-to-Midrail Bracket Bolt
9 lb ft

Battery Retainer Nut Screw
80 lb in

Bleeder Screws - Front
8 lb ft

Bleeder Screws - Rear
66 lb in

Booster-to-Body Nuts
20 lb ft

Brake Caliper Lock Pin
27 lb ft

Brake Caliper-to-Steering Knuckle
81 lb ft

Brake Hose-to-Brake Caliper
36 lb ft

Brake Hose-to-Brake Pipe
11 lb ft

Brake Hose-to-Wheel Cylinder
36 lb ft

Brake Pedal Pivot Bolt
16 lb ft

Brake Pipe-to-ABS Assembly
24 lb ft

Control Module-to-Valve Assembly Screws
35-53 lb in

Front Brake Bleeder Valve
8 lb ft

Front Console Screw
22 lb in

Lock/Guide Pin-to-Brake Caliper
27 lb ft

Master Cylinder-to-Brake Booster Nut
20 lb ft

Negative Battery Cable
13 lb ft

Park Brake Lever Assembly-to-Floor
18 lb ft

Park Brake Lever Assembly-to-Floor
35 lb in

PCM Attachment Bolts
53 lb in

Positive Battery Cable
13 lb ft

Rear Brake Bleeder Valve
66 lb in

Rear Console Screw
22 lb in

Rear Wheel Hub Assembly
63 lb ft

Stop Lamp Switch Mounting Nut
89 lb in

Trailing Arm/Park Brake Cable-to-Body
89 lb ft

Wheel Cylinder-to-Backing Plate
89 lb in

Wheel Nut
103 lb ft

Wheel Speed Sensor
89 lb in

Old March 8th 06, 08:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Actually, take them back out and put LOCTITE back on them. There is a TSB
out about bolts wiggling themselves out and calipers possibly falling off
the knuckle. And that was at their torque setting.... It was VERY RARE,
but did happen. The loctite holds the bolts in tightly a lot better. I
HIGHLY recommend putting it back on there, the neverseize may actually
cause bad news quicker..... Hope I could help you.

Further car simulator questions Thomas Harte Simulators 2 November 12th 05 01:53 AM
Torque Wrench Seraph Honda 12 February 6th 05 10:07 PM
Altima SE V-6 vs. Accord LX V-6 tony kujawa Honda 33 December 23rd 04 01:01 AM
Why/How do diesels deliver *less* power but *more* torque? [email protected] General 2 September 15th 04 11:39 PM